Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Years in Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Years in Service Reply with quote

Yeah, I am flipping through annex G1 and comparing. I only play FC, but I am interested in the start years for ships.

I see there are newer annexes. Are those updated? I mean, if buy G3 does it contain everything in G1 plus new stuff. I may buy it.

Also, when can you assume that older ships ended their tours of duty For example, when the NCA comes out, how long until CAs are decomissioned, or when an upgrade happens, how long until all older versions are replaced?

A general answer is allright, I am not expecting a list or something.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3 is complete. It will eventually be superseded by G4 when it is released.

It is nearly impossible to give any kind of "phase out" dates on any ships. Some ships kept being built, even after their theoretical replace entered production. On the other hand other ships had their production end with the introduction of their replacements.

For example, the Federation CA was still in production even after the introduction of the NCA, but the Federation DD pretty much stopped production with the introduction of the NCL. On the other hand, the Lyrans never stopped producing catamaran hulls (e.g. the DD) even after the introduction of the trimaran hulls (e.g. the CW).

And that is just production. Even though the Federation stopped producing DDs (except for perhaps a few one-offs), they still had many DDs (and variants) in their fleet for years and years.

In general, I would say that most hulls that were available at the start of the General War probably had examples still soldiering on at the end of the General War, even if their production was halted at some point.

Refits, on the other hand, worked differently. For the most part, you can assume that, unless otherwise noted in the ship description, refits were implemented fleet-wide a couple of years after their introduction. So, those CAs I mentioned above that were still produced were all CARa+, and those NCLs were NCLa+. But with refits, it is not a case of ships being "phased out", but rather that they were all refitted over time.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I can see how some older hull types would still be in production. The machinery for building them is still around, and its probably gotten less expensive to build the older models because of that, plus channels to get other parts from third party suppliers.

New designs I guess would require new processes, new machinery to be designed, and new parts that will take time to scale up to deliering pieces. Sort of how microprocessors are priced, with the new ones made in less quantities while production capability builds up, while older designs remain at less money.

Interesting. Thanks Mike.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never posted "phase out dates" and have no plans for ever doing so (because we see no need to ever do so).
Shinanygnz
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget all those ships that stopped production, reached end of mainline service and went in to mothballs or to the National Guards. Then got fished out again, converted, refitted, mothballed, transferred...
The phase in/out dates would look like a hyperactive Romulan.

Stephen
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I asked for a general answer, and Mike's was perfect. List of dates not needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: