Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyran 3d sculpts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Lyran 3d sculpts Reply with quote

So, just messing about, and decided, hey, I like the look of the Lyran ships, but have yet to see any in 1/3125... so what the heck. Sat myself down and plodded something out, basing it heavily on Adam Turner's lovely Jaguar illustration. Adapted it down from the trimaran to a catamaran, and still fiddling with details, but here's a bit of WIP. Still learning how to handle some things, but having fun.

The model as sculpted measures about 71.4mm from nose to the tip of the warp nacelles, which I think is a titch too large, for one.

Model files will not be disseminated nor will prints be made available without appropriate permissions from ADB.

Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 71.4 mm and 1/3125 scale, the "real" ship is 223 meters 12.5 cm long. The Fed CA saucer is, as we all know, 127.1 meters in diameter, and the ship is 288 meters long. So, this Lyran ship might be in the ballpark. Can you give a measurement for how wide/long the body is??

And by the way: what program are you using, and how long did it take you to draft that much??

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
At 71.4 mm and 1/3125 scale, the "real" ship is 223 meters 12.5 cm long. The Fed CA saucer is, as we all know, 127.1 meters in diameter, and the ship is 288 meters long. So, this Lyran ship might be in the ballpark. Can you give a measurement for how wide/long the body is??

And by the way: what program are you using, and how long did it take you to draft that much??

Width at the nacelles is about 63mm.

Excluding the warp nacelles and pylons, the model is 55mm long by 53mm wide.

I work in Google Sketchup, and it was about... mm, call it 7 hours of work over three days or so.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 1/3125 scale: 71.4mm = 223m, 63mm = 197m, 55mm = 172m, 53mm = 166m. I forgot to ask how thick, but I'd guess it to be perhaps five or six, no more than eight, decks thick. Yeah, if this is the DD, I'd say it's a bit large.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongoose started working up the Lyrans in 2500 series, back when they thought the Lyrans would be in Book.

The renders can be found here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500%20Lyran.shtml
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
At 1/3125 scale: 71.4mm = 223m, 63mm = 197m, 55mm = 172m, 53mm = 166m. I forgot to ask how thick, but I'd guess it to be perhaps five or six, no more than eight, decks thick. Yeah, if this is the DD, I'd say it's a bit large.

I've shrunk it a bit, how does 47mm long by 43mm wide grab you?

Scoutdad wrote:

Mongoose started working up the Lyrans in 2500 series, back when they thought the Lyrans would be in Book

And no progress towards actually releasing them. Does ADB even still have the rights to those models?
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with color, resizing, and some additional details!

Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've shrunk it a bit, how does 47mm long by 43mm wide grab you?
Better. 147 x 134 meters. Appears to be four maybe five decks thick. Seems like about the right mass/volume, to me at least. SVC has the final say, of course.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, doesn't really fit the published art (which has flat bottoms). Biggest problem is that throwing random aztek hull panels here and there creates a pretty effect but runs head first into the position of the ESGs (which you handled here by overlaying the emitter, but the grooves need to stop clear of that) and leaves nowhere for the national emblem. And of course, the aztek panels have never appeared on any of the art done for this empire, but are something Mongoose did a lot of in the 2500s.

We are looking for sculptors who can do the new Lyrans on Shapeways, but I do already have four of them at work and two more wanting in so I cannot promise or offer you the role as chief Lyran ship builder. Most of the sculptors want to do the Lyrans which they see as the best-selling empire not yet done for 2500s.

Give it another try based on my first paragraph comments
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Nice work, doesn't really fit the published art (which has flat bottoms). Biggest problem is that throwing random aztek hull panels here and there creates a pretty effect but runs head first into the position of the ESGs (which you handled here by overlaying the emitter, but the grooves need to stop clear of that) and leaves nowhere for the national emblem. And of course, the aztek panels have never appeared on any of the art done for this empire, but are something Mongoose did a lot of in the 2500s.

Thanks for the commentary. I've updated it to a flatbottom arrangement (I always thought the slab bottoms on Lyran ships were their worst aspect, but I have to respect canon.) The aztecing is based, as I mentioned, on Adam Turner's art, and is about 0.3mm depth so should not be any problem for applying decals or freehanding the logo. I've cleared space around the ESG (which still needs some more detail, I think), and still have to add the bridge and some detail to the nacelles.

Steve Cole wrote:
We are looking for sculptors who can do the new Lyrans on Shapeways, but I do already have four of them at work and two more wanting in so I cannot promise or offer you the role as chief Lyran ship builder. Most of the sculptors want to do the Lyrans which they see as the best-selling empire not yet done for 2500s.

Give it another try based on my first paragraph comments

This is more to prove to myself that I can match your standards; if the model is useful to you then so much the better. They do seem popular, and I've already seen Hydrans and Seltorians here, so, who knows... there aren't many left in the Alpha octant.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The aztecing is based on Adam Turner's art
That aztecing is something I never cared for in Adam's artwork. I assumed SVC liked it, because it ended up in so much cover art.

The other thing I never understood is why he put large blue-lights on the bottom of the ships. What the *blink* are those supposed to be anyway?

ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
Quote:
The aztecing is based on Adam Turner's art
That aztecing is something I never cared for in Adam's artwork. I assumed SVC liked it, because it ended up in so much cover art.

It looks better than bare hull, and far as I ever knew it was the official look, so....

Sgt_G wrote:
The other thing I never understood is why he put large blue-lights on the bottom of the ships. What the *blink* are those supposed to be anyway?

Good question. Deflector dishes?
ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underside heat sinks?
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, heat rises. Didn't you learn that in fifth-grade science class??? Cool

ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero G Garth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: