Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damage Allocation Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogaboo
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Damage Allocation Question Reply with quote

Hi all,
New to FC, but played tons of SFB.
Play a few games this weekend and we had one minor issue that I could not find rules for.

Issue:
Dealing damage via the damage charts and we had a hit on a torpedo that was not in the damage arc. But, the FC rules don't seem to care if a weapon or system is in arc.

Question:
Does the arc/facing matter for specific weapona and system hits in FC or has it been simplified to just follow the chart?

If it does require an in arc hit that what do you do if there are no systems that would count on that hit via the chart? Frame damage?

Thanks
Kevin
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome.

There is no directional damage rule in FC. The defender just chooses what system is hit, even if it's on the complete opposite side of the ship from where the volley came form.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant robot is correct. All damage is non-directional. It doesn't matter if the disable system is in arc or not.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Boogaboo
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Ok do I have it? Reply with quote

So, on the torpedo hit, we would just take ANY torpedo even if it is not in arc?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Ps- Like that fast play of the game. We played 3 250pnt duels in a day (4hrs). That included teaching 2 new people.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ok do I have it? Reply with quote

Boogaboo wrote:
So, on the torpedo hit, we would just take ANY torpedo even if it is not in arc?

Yes, that is correct.

droberts441
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a SFB question, but is related to his question. I just started reading my Captain's Edition rulebook to see what had changed from my Commander's (After I got back into SFU again with Federation Commander about 2 years ago). I thought the only weapon that was you needed to worry about directional damage was Phasers. Did that change somewhere in Captain's and I haven't read it yet? I am kind of skipping around to see what is new (so far not much actually except I don't have to go through Nexus and Captain's Log to find the addenda Smile )
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

droberts441 wrote:
This is a SFB question, but is related to his question. I just started reading my Captain's Edition rulebook to see what had changed from my Commander's (After I got back into SFU again with Federation Commander about 2 years ago). I thought the only weapon that was you needed to worry about directional damage was Phasers. Did that change somewhere in Captain's and I haven't read it yet? I am kind of skipping around to see what is new (so far not much actually except I don't have to go through Nexus and Captain's Log to find the addenda Smile )

That's still correct: as far as I know phasers are the only directional damage item; certainly torpedo (or equivalent) hits are not. They can be hit from any angle.
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
That's still correct: as far as I know phasers are the only directional damage item; certainly torpedo (or equivalent) hits are not. They can be hit from any angle.

I am not the SFB guy, but, yes, the only system that uses directional damage in SFB is phasers.

droberts441
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It is interesting to remember some of the rules since I have only played Federation Commander the last two years and it has been 15+ since I last played SFB.

(Like Oh yeah, I forgot Standard Photons couldn't be launched at 0 or 1, and every third hit on a weapon had to be the strongest, etc.)

But my son wants to try fighters and carriers, and he is intrigued by scouts, and he likes all the advanced boarding party stuff, etc. from reading my old Nexus and Captain's Logs, so I am about to start a SFB game or two with him (Although I think I am hooked on FC now myself).
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Boogaboo to the Forums and to the FC game. Yeah, I can't echo enough how much I like the relative simplicity of FC to my old days of SFB. I hope you have continued enjoyment in the game as I have.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droberts441 wrote:
I am about to start a SFB game or two with him

See you in a couple of months, then Wink
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Exactly. I actually would like, and have always wanted to do at least once, a Federation & Empire Campaign played with SFB for the battles. I told my son he might be my age when we finally complete the game, but we would have some good memories.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droberts441 wrote:
Kang wrote:
Exactly. I actually would like, and have always wanted to do at least once, a Federation & Empire Campaign played with SFB for the battles. I told my son he might be my age when we finally complete the game, but we would have some good memories.

Haha, I actually "tried" this once. We didn't even get through the first complete battle before we called it quits. It's no longer a game when your 6 month game turn actually takes 6 months RL time!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the results would be way off, but one could use the Starmada version of the SFU to play out battles from F&E.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even Fleet Scale ships from Fed Cdr, or is that way too radical a suggestion? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: