Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(8RA1) - Surprise Reversed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: (8RA1) - Surprise Reversed Reply with quote

(8RA1) Surprise Reversed

So I wasn't sure which forum to place this in and I did do a search to see if this scenario had been discussed before. I wasn't able to find anything. This scenario is out of the Romulan Attack module, and as I was showing a friend how to play FC, this is out of one of the early modules and I came across it while looking for scenarios. After setting this up, I was unable to see how the Romulan player ever wins.

VC: are PVVS (8B2), and the Federation player must disengage the map by the end of Turn 6 in a specified direction.

Romulan player has 5 ships KR-132, War Eagle-103, Battle Hawk-88, K5R-84, Snipe-75 for a total of 482. The Fedeation player by comparison has a CC-151.

So, before the scenario even begins, the PVVS looks like this (as far as I understand them), Romulan player 0/151; Federation 331/151. This tells me that there aren't enough points in the game for the Romulan to ever win via PVVS. What stops the federation player from just leaving the board and winning a 200%+ victory?

Setup has the Romulans "powered down, unable to opperate shields" adjacent to an 'anchor point', and unable to do anything except once per turn they may accellerate. At the end of every turn each ship rolls a 1d6 and "wakes up" on a 1/2. No pre-game arming for the Romulan. So fully charged plasmas aren't available until turn 4 for the ships that wake up first (turn 3 for 2 turn F arming).

Ignoring the issue I think we saw with the PVVS application for VC above, we played this to see how the actual battle as laid out would unfold. The result was a CC that flew in to the middle of the Romulans at speed 8, that put criplling damage on the KR, the BH, and 8-15 internals on the other 3. At the end of the turn the KR and the K5R came alive (2 of 5, which is above average). Only 1 plasma was alive on the KR, and only 1 plasma on the K5R. Both flew at max speed out of the mix on turn two to start the 3 turn charing process. Turn 2 saw them fly out to ~20hexes, and the CA finish off the remaining 'sleeping' romulans. Beginning of turn 3 has a critical KR with only a 2 turn charge on a single S plasma and a 2 turn charge on a single F plasma. Together these two are no match for the still fresh (and fully reloaded photon armament) CC. Unless there are some horrible rolls for the Federation and an amazing roll for the Romulan wake up (3/4 ships 'wake), I see no way in the ship engagement that the Romulans ever win this scenario.

Thoughts? Would appreciate some input. Firstly on the application of the PVVS system to this scenario, and then any thoughts on the actual engagment.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there probably should have been a different victory system used for the scenario.

Regardless, though, it is intended to be a one-sided affair. Another such example is the "Hood" scenario where a Fed CA is jumped by a Klingon D7 and two D6s. Sometimes the real objective is simply to survive.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pmiller13
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly is an issue with the PVVS being used in this scenario as both you and Mike pointed out so enough said there.

However in your description of the battle you seem to have forgotten your main weapon, to point your phasers. Rather than scattering from the other ships the two that activated should have turned into the federation CC and phaser hosed him, preferably on a shield that they could stay on for the next turn. Then stay engaged while bringing up your torpedoes. You got slightly better than average odds on the first turn and got two ships active. Yeah one was a cripple but the other was a tough little destroyer. Between them they should have had enough phasers to take down a shield on turn two. Remember that while the KR may have been cripple on the first pass that was with your shields down, now your shields are up and he has to take them down to do damage and he will not have photons till turn three. The CC then has to decide to try to take out the other inactive ships or deal with the two that are banging away on his shields knowing that the KR is going to be able to put a fast load into him on turn 3 as well as the phasers on the two ships plus the possibility of a survivor activating and joining the fight. Don't get me wrong it’s a tough scenario and its weighted in favor of the Federation player. However a really aggressive Romulan player can take down that CC with just a little luck
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Yeah, there probably should have been a different victory system used for the scenario.

Agreed. But I'd have hoped that Romulan Attack, the 4th (I believe?) module would have scenarios in it that weren't broken to the point of excluding one of the players from winning; as written.

mjwest wrote:
Regardless, though, it is intended to be a one-sided affair. Another such example is the "Hood" scenario where a Fed CA is jumped by a Klingon D7 and two D6s. Sometimes the real objective is simply to survive.

My (I'm going to make an assumption here) and most people's goal is to play a fun and engaging game. A scenario that consists of 1 player waiting through a turn of getting hammered by the other player with no chance to return the favor (at a later time, or immediately), or even resist it does nothing but destroy the morale of that player being hammered. And to specifically respond to your comment, unless the Romulan rolls double the average roll (for 'waking up'), I'd put forward that the Romulan has no chance of even survival. The 'running the gauntlet' scenario model can make for some very engaging gameplay, but not when there's zero chance of surviving the gauntlet (unless it's a duration thing, which this is not).

And just at a high level, not sure how to explain to the 'new' player I'm trying to show the game that the first scenario in a core module of the game is fundamentally broken, and convince him to play another scenario afterwards. It reflects poorly on the product line as a whole.

Last note: I'm not trying to talk down the game. I highly enjoy it. And I'd like to bring more people into the 'fold'. Guess I'm sorta looking for help here.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmiller13 wrote:
However in your description of the battle you seem to have forgotten your main weapon, to point your phasers. Rather than scattering from the other ships the two that activated should have turned into the federation CC and phaser hosed him, preferably on a shield that they could stay on for the next turn. Then stay engaged while bringing up your torpedoes. You got slightly better than average odds on the first turn and got two ships active. Yeah one was a cripple but the other was a tough little destroyer. Between them they should have had enough phasers to take down a shield on turn two. Remember that while the KR may have been cripple on the first pass that was with your shields down, now your shields are up and he has to take them down to do damage and he will not have photons till turn three. The CC then has to decide to try to take out the other inactive ships or deal with the two that are banging away on his shields knowing that the KR is going to be able to put a fast load into him on turn 3 as well as the phasers on the two ships plus the possibility of a survivor activating and joining the fight. Don't get me wrong it’s a tough scenario and its weighted in favor of the Federation player. However a really aggressive Romulan player can take down that CC with just a little luck

Perhaps I'm missing something... but I just can't agree.

My opponent rolled below average almost every volley (it was specifically commented on multiple times). He did not target weapons or engines, and he shot at every ship at range 1-2 instead of 0-1 as was easily possible (it was his 2nd game, and his first without active guidance from a 3rd party). The KR had 19 energy and no weapons, the K5R had 2p1, 1p2, and a plasma f after the first volleys. Neither ship has any business staying anywhere near 2 hexes from a undamaged CC with 8 phasers. And neither ship has any real potential to do damage to it. Beginning turn 3, when the CC has finished recycling the photons, whatever is inside 8 is done. So... ya, they run, or they don't see turn 4.

I can reasonably expect to have 2 ships come live at the end of turn 1 on this scenario. If the Fed is targeting weapons/engines (which he should be imo), he should be able to easily nueter the entire Romulan fleet. 2nd turn, whichever 3 are still 'sleeping' recieve an 18 damage suicide shuttle or drone which makes them a non-event when they do wake up, and the Fed can turn his attention on the live ships. (which will not be doing anywhere near the damage the CC will be doing, and they are already probably near crippled, I say this because only 2 of my smaller ships were not crippled at the end of turn 1, with less than par rolling).

If the whole scenario hinges on 3 ships waking up for turn 2 (at the end of turn 1; ie-a lucky Romulan), effectively doubling the odds of a ship waking up, then I'll happily claim again, the scenario is 'broken'.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the option of running the scenario in a matching style. Play the scenario once, then switch sides. The winner is the one who does more damage to the CC, has more undamged ships, or gets a higher score using the PVVS.

It's not the perfect solution, but reframing it can help.

IIRC, The Mighty Hood Goes Down was played at Origins a few years back in this style.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the one who converted this scenario from SFB to FC... I have to put my two Quatloos worth in...

You are correct in that the Romulan player doesn;t have a chance at winning using the PVVS, but sometimes that's not the only measure of success. We [Battlegroup Murfreesboro] have played the SFB version several times, as well as the Fed Comm version. Both version place the Romulans under similar restrictions -with, as anticipated; similar outcomes. Much as with "The Mighty Hood Goes Down" and "Giants in The Playground" - we play these scenarios round-robin style. We play once, then swap sides and play again. The ultimate winner is the one who does a better job as the underdog, not necessarily the one with the biggest point total at the end.

I'd hate to see you put the game on the shelf simply because one or two sceanrios are, as you put it - "broken". In real life, not every battle is an even proposition. One side almost always has an advantage - either real or perceived, or bot sides would endeavor to avoid conflict until the parity could be overcome.

Most of the scenarios in the game and it's expansions are more evenly balanced (although some are less so), but if balance is the ultimate goal - one can always play pick-up style, set-point space battles with the empire of your choosing. Or even a "Civil War" style scenario with both sides having identical forces. It can't get much more even than that. Wink
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
As the one who converted this scenario from SFB to FC... I have to put my two Quatloos worth in...

I appreciate the response from the guy who's scenario I'm bashing. Wink

Scoutdad wrote:
You are correct in that the Romulan player doesn;t have a chance at winning using the PVVS, but sometimes that's not the only measure of success.

The scenario says this:
(8RA1) Surprise Reversed wrote:
Victory: Use the Point Value Victory System (8B2), except that the Federation is not penalized for disengaging.

Sorry to disagree, but yes, in this case, with this scenario, it is the only measure of success.

Scoutdad wrote:
We [Battlegroup Murfreesboro] have played the SFB version several times, as well as the Fed Comm version. Both version place the Romulans under similar restrictions -with, as anticipated; similar outcomes. Much as with "The Mighty Hood Goes Down" and "Giants in The Playground" - we play these scenarios round-robin style. We play once, then swap sides and play again. The ultimate winner is the one who does a better job as the underdog, not necessarily the one with the biggest point total at the end.

Yes, I can see how that would be a 'fix' to the scenario. But it's not listed in the scenario that in order to have an 'even' play experience, you need to play it twice and compare who lost worse.

Scoutdad wrote:
I'd hate to see you put the game on the shelf simply because one or two sceanrios are, as you put it - "broken". In real life, not every battle is an even proposition. One side almost always has an advantage - either real or perceived, or bot sides would endeavor to avoid conflict until the parity could be overcome.

Most of the scenarios in the game and it's expansions are more evenly balanced (although some are less so), but if balance is the ultimate goal - one can always play pick-up style, set-point space battles with the empire of your choosing. Or even a "Civil War" style scenario with both sides having identical forces. It can't get much more even than that. Wink

I'm not looking for an even scenario. I'm looking for a balanced scenario. A 'fair' chance for both parties to win a scenario when both sit down at the table to play. Unbalanced forces with mitigating factors can make for as much of a, if not even more of a, very engaging gaming experience as a 'fair' mirror forced engagement. And I look to scenarios for those experiences in this game, becasue a simple meeting engagement, ultimately appear to come down to a math exercise once both sides stop making the obvious mistakes.

I intensely enjoy the game. It won't be going on my shelf just yet. But it's hard to bring more into the fold (to enhance my experiene as much as theirs) when their first experiences are marred.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Phul here, the scenarios in the core books (at least) should have balanced victory conditions with a good chance of either side winning when playing the scenario as written. Anything else just gives the impression of a badly thought out/play tested/proof read product. New players shouldn't be getting dismayed because they happen to choose a bad scenario to play and perceive the game as being seriously unbalanced.

For the good of the game one would hope that not everyone playing will be old SFB players, references to SFB are irrelevant, this isn't SFB nor an expansion to SFB but a seperate game and should stand on its own.

There is a difference between a scenario where one side is going to get wiped out (or similar) and an unbalanced scenario where one side simply can't win. Wargames have always had to deal with the former, usually by setting victory conditions to balance out such a battle - 'can you better the historical outcome'. They are often the the best sorts of scenarios as they present challenges beyond simple combat. The spartans are going to die, but if they hold out for 3 days they win, The french are not trying to beat the prussians - just stop them getting to waterloo. The defenders of the Alamo are as good as dead, they just need to go out in a blaze of glory. The british just need to evacuate enough men and material from the beaches of dunkirk to win whilst getting plastered. I'm sure something similar could have been presented for this scenario.
rulesjd
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the scenario is not balanced. As suggested , have each player try both sides. Or in a tournament compare the relative scores among players who played the Fed and the Romulan. The players who performed best on each side can resovle 1st place with a straight up duel.

Even if this scenario isn't balanced, most of them are fairly well balanced. Play some of the others or tinker with house rule changes to suit taste. Frankly, if I was teaching new players I wouldn't choose this scenario for quite a while.

As to tactics, I would point out that you cannot "target" weapons/enginges with overloaded photons. They either must fire at normal strength to target or accept the fully random chart. Even then targetting isn't guaranteed nor is even hitting with photons at close range.

At the end of the day, SFB/FC scenarios came into being over many years and they are not all well balanced/playtested. You make a good case for attention to this going forward and perhaps modifying some of the existing published scenario victory conditions. SFB/FC tends to be a commmunity based game and player submissions are usually fairly well accepted.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rulesjd wrote:
Sure, the scenario is not balanced. As suggested , have each player try both sides. Or in a tournament compare the relative scores among players who played the Fed and the Romulan. The players who performed best on each side can resovle 1st place with a straight up duel.

Yes, this is a way to do it. It is however not a fix for the scenario. Just a way to work around the fact that it's not a balanced scenario.

rulesjd wrote:
Even if this scenario isn't balanced, most of them are fairly well balanced. Play some of the others or tinker with house rule changes to suit taste. Frankly, if I was teaching new players I wouldn't choose this scenario for quite a while.

I disagree. Despite it being broken (or perhaps becasue of it), it was a very good way to teach the damage allocation process. Which is the only saving grace from the event, as now, it's all crystal clear to my new player friend.

Generally speaking, no scenario in an official published product should rely upon 'house' rules to correct issues.

rulesjd wrote:
As to tactics, I would point out that you cannot "target" weapons/enginges with overloaded photons. They either must fire at normal strength to target or accept the fully random chart. Even then targetting isn't guaranteed nor is even hitting with photons at close range.

When all the targets are stationary and have no shields, there's no reason to do a single mass fire phase. You put your OL photons on 1-2 ships (at range 0-1 for auto hits), targeted phaser fire elsewhere, or if needed on the same ships in a subsequent O fire phase (doubtful as 24 damage from 2 +4 photons on all but one of these ships is all but a cripple).

rulesjd wrote:
At the end of the day, SFB/FC scenarios came into being over many years and they are not all well balanced/playtested. You make a good case for attention to this going forward and perhaps modifying some of the existing published scenario victory conditions. SFB/FC tends to be a commmunity based game and player submissions are usually fairly well accepted.

As the post prior to yours says, and I said earlier. It reflects poorly on the product, and makes it difficult to bring more into the 'fold'. I agree, there others that are 'balanced'. But this is not the first scenario I've come across that was 'broken' out of the gate. Just the most obviously and glaringly 'broken'. While some seem to disagree on my assessment of the Romulan's chances of survival, no one has disagreed on my assessment of the invalidity of the VCs.

Player submissions are great. I'm a whole hearted supporter of the idea. Just hope each receives the necessary 'polish' prior to official endorsement and/or publishing. I'm not making an accusation one way or another. Just stating an honest hope , as I don't know what level goes into each scenario in a product. And generally: I'm perfectly happy to help with that process if there is a need for bodies to do that.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was a very good way to teach the damage allocation process.

That's kinda funny...

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
dreamingbadger
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the Captains Log (#5) version of the Surprise Reversed the Modified Victory conditions gave the Romulan player a 200 point bonus, which would sort of balance the game.

In many ways though this is an excellent scenario for learners, but they really need to play the Cruiser rather than the Fleet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: