Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question from a potential player: D7 or Romulan KR?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTanuki
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Question from a potential player: D7 or Romulan KR? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've never played SFB, but I'm a Star Trek fan and have been very interested reading reviews of Federation Commander. I'm very intrigued by what I've heard and am thinking about trying it out.

However, I have a question: The Romulans are my favorite race in Trek...but my impression from reading these boards is that the Klingon ships are easier to learn and play for a beginner. Plus, I do have to admit, I'm not crazy about the designs of the Romulan ships except the classic Warbird and the KR (the Romulan version of the D7 battlecruiser).

Now, I'd be happy playing either a Klingon or Romulan version of the D7, but perhaps more experienced players can help me decide:

1) Between the D7 and the KR, is one more effective or easier to learn to play?

2) Would you say they are equal in performance, if not what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? (If they're equal, I may just go ahead and try the Romulans!)

3) As a potential new player with no experience, which set would be better to learn and teach other new players with: Academy, or one of the "Border" sets? (My friends and I have experience with light to medium tabletop mini and wargames, but none of us have tried the Star Fleet series of games. And how "teachable" is the game to people with no wargame experience?

4) I have played the old "Starfleet Command" series of PC games, which I understand is based on SFB, and really enjoy them, if that helps. In that game, I seem to have more ability at playing the Klingons, more's the pity...Romulans are cool... Razz

Thanks!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Question from a potential player: D7 or Romulan KR? Reply with quote

Welcome to the board and (hopefully) to the game.

NeoTanuki wrote:
...the KR (the Romulan version of the D7 battlecruiser).

Actually, the KR is the Romulan version of the older D6 heavy cruiser. They are externally essentially identical and very similar in gameplay attributes, but folks around here take their Star Fleet Universe (SFU) history very seriously. Smile The Klingons had dozens of D6s in storage as reserves and sold what was obsolete ships to them to the Romulans (who were coming out of the non-tactical warp "dark ages" and the D6s were a quantum leap for).

NeoTanuki wrote:
1) Between the D7 and the KR, is one more effective or easier to learn to play?

Neither is dramatically more effective than the other. The D7 is a newer and meaner ship (it was the Klingon replacement for the D6 the KR is converted from), but the difference isn't huge. It could be argued that the D6 and KR would be more "even", but Klingons and Romulans aren't particularly suited to fighting each other in the SFU so any comparisons start to get shaky.

As far as ease-of-play, any Klingon will be easier than the equivalent Romulan, due to the weapons used by the two empires. The disruptor is a fairly easy weapon to learn (if not to master) and the Klingons don't use enough drone missiles for it to get too confusing. Both Romulans and Klingons use phasers (just like every other empire), but the Romulans tend to use the better phaser-1, whereas the Klingons cheap-out and use phaser-2 mounts most of the time.

The Romulans are more difficult for some folks to master, due to the interactions of using the cloaking device and plasma torpedoes. Both empires tactics tend to reward patience and subtly, but it is a requirement for Romulans. They tend to have only one "big gun" plasma launcher and it takes forever to arm - that's why they have the cloak. Trying to "close and hose" with a Romulan having no torpedo ready, against a matched opponent rarely ends well for the pointy-ear folks.

NeoTanuki wrote:
2) Would you say they are equal in performance, if not what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? (If they're equal, I may just go ahead and try the Romulans!)

See-above. With equal skill-levels/experience of players, Romulans and Klingons work equally well against their natural enemies (Federation, Hydrans, and Kzintis for the Klingons; Federation and Gorns for the Romulans). Pit them against an "un-natural" opponent (such as against each other) and your mileage might vary some.

Both favor the "long game". If you prefer short-term, roll up fast, take his shot and then "hit them with everything you've got" type ships, you'd be more interested in the Federation, somewhat the Gorns and Kzintis (depending on tactics), and especially the Hydrans (who excel at the close-up body-blow).

NeoTanuki wrote:
3) As a potential new player with no experience, which set would be better to learn and teach other new players with: Academy, or one of the "Border" sets? (My friends and I have experience with light to medium tabletop mini and wargames, but none of us have tried the Star Fleet series of games. And how "teachable" is the game to people with no wargame experience?

FedCom is very teachable to those who have prior experience with things like WarHammer, BattleTech, OGRE, etc. My friends with similar backgrounds had no big problems grasping it by mid-game in our first attempt. They had more problems "unlearning" their "Trek" expectations from 20 years of unrelated movies and tv than they did from learning the game-mechanics (Klingons in the SFU are nothing like the unrestrained berzerkers they became in TNG; they are the brutal swarthy Soviet-analogues of the 60's tv show).

The game does fairly well for those with no "war game" experience. My wife (who had played Risk and one game of OGRE with me) had it figured out by a few turns in and promptly nearly defeated me. She needed more coaching, as things like "counters" and hex-maps were all totally new to her, but she did well, despite my poor teaching.

The game is the same between Academy and the two border boxes (literally, it's the same rules booklet). The only difference is the mixture of empires and ships the product contains. The two border boxes each present either Klingon or Romulan opponents to a mixture of Federation ships, with a mixture of supporting-cast empires (Kzinti, Gorn, Tholian, Orion pirates, and general-purpose ships like freighters). There is no overlap in the ship cards between the two border boxes, so they make great expansions to each other, but either one is a very complete game in itself.

The only reason to get Academy is if you are budget conscious. Last I checked, the border boxes are $60, which is an investment for some folks. Academy is a much smaller (and therefore cheaper) entry product. It only includes four ship cards (but the cards are the most recognizable "tv ships") and uses a paper map and the 1/2-inch counters, instead of the nifty mounted 2-sided map panels and computer-art 1-inch counters of the full-size border boxes.

Academy is a complete game, but it is only a very small taste of what is in the larger versions. I've bought three copies of Academy over the years, one just to cannibalize for "loaner" components for big game days and two as enticement gifts to friends I wanted to make into gamers (successfully, I might add).

If you choose to go the Academy route, there are "... Space" products that you can buy later, to get all the other stuff from the relevant border box that didn't come in your Academy folio (making your set into the same thing as the border box).

Don't forget the Boosters. These are a cheap way to get ship cards for the game (and duplicates of the really popular ships like the Constitution-class cruiser, D7, War Eagle, etc.). There are also tons and tons of free ships up in the Communiques in Commander's Circle. Between the free downloads and Boosters, you can make Academy into a lifestyle choice, without ever even buying a border box.

NeoTanuki wrote:
4) I have played the old "Starfleet Command" series of PC games, which I understand is based on SFB, and really enjoy them, if that helps. In that game, I seem to have more ability at playing the Klingons, more's the pity...Romulans are cool... Razz

Starfleet Command was indeed based on SFB, at least in the design of the ships, the way weapons work, and the background. Changes were made to make it into a "real-time" computer game, but a whole lot of what you learned there will apply directly to FedCom (and SFB, and Klingon Armada, and any other ADB SFU game). A Federation New Light Cruiser (NCL) is essentially the same, regardless of what game it's being depicted in. The same amount and mountings of weapons, the same amount of power to work with, etc. Because of that consistency, tactics also tend to work across with various game (with adjustments).

I hope this helps some!
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@djdood: Thanks very much, that information is helpful!

Hmm...I'm still torn between possible purchases, though. Romulans and Klingons still seem pretty equally appealing.

Let me try another tack with a few follow-up questions:

1) There are different Federation ships in the two "Border" starters, correct? Again, is their performance/play style significantly different between ships?

2) On the Warbird: I understand there are several types of ship using the Romulan classic Warbird hull from the original TV series? Can you tell me a bit about how they play and their strengths compared to the Klingon-hull cruisers?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to pin down which Empire would best suit my playstyle. It varies from game to game, but I tend to like maneuverability, good defense and some finesse. Most of the time I'm not a "brick" player (i.e. little movement and lots of firepower).

In the old Starfleet Command games, I liked the speed, maneuverability and quick strikes followed by evasion of the Klingons. Does that help any? Do any Romulan ships use this approach?
pmiller13
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a die hard Romulan let me put my two cents in.

The ship cards for the Federations are very different from one Border product to the next. This has to do with the time period from the original SFU (star fleet universe) time line and the general war in that time line. Without going in to a lot of explanation basically as the general war progressed the powers came up with what the term 'war' production, which were ships designed for shot combat careers and not long patrol situations. This means that for example a war cruiser has the combat firepower of a cruiser but not the staying power (it can’t take the punishment). In the Romulan Border product the Federation starts to show these types of ships because in the original timeline these would have been the types of ships in production. A smattering of ships from that represent both prewar and war production represents the Gorns and Romulans. The class of ship that you saw in the original TV series in the for the Romulans was either a War Eagle or a Klingon conversion on the D6 which is the Romulan KR. By the way I like the old style Romulan eagle series. The Romulan’s have wonderful choice in that there are three series of ships, the original eagle series, the kestrels (Klingon converts) and their new construction. If you like the idea of the Romulans then go with the Romulan Border box set. You get the same rulebook either way. The difference is in the ships you get. In the Romulan border you get Federation, Romulan and those bastard lizards the Gorn. In the Klingon border you get a set of Different Federation, the Klingon, and Kizinti. But either way it’s a great game and I am you do have to understand I am a Romulan by choice.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of other things worth noting.

*The Romulans have their own conversions of D7s as well - the K7R. They weren't as common as the KRs, though.

(The addition of the cloak tends to make Kestrels (Klingon-built ships converted by the Romulans) that bit more expensive than their equivalents still flying in the Klingon Deep Space Fleet.

*One other way to try the system out could be to pick up the Reference Rulebook and Briefing #2.

B2 gives you over seventy ships from several empires (Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Kzintis, Gorns, Tholians, Orions, Lyrans/LDR, Hydrans and WYNs) all from the era known as the Middle Years - in other words, the time period in which a certain 'five-year mission' dramatised for trivideo production took place. The ships are somewhat different from those in the General War (and shown in the mainline FC products) but still quite fine for use in the game system. Plus, the Reference Rulebook gives you all the rules you need to fly them.

The only thing (well, aside from the ships not being intended for compatibility with Main Era units) is that B2 has none of the extras the Border boxes give you. No counters, maps, laminated cards or what have you. You can get things like counters and stuff separately, but B2 is something more of a do-it-yourself option if you decide to start with it.

Oh, and the Middle Years Romulan fleet in B2 only has the Eagle (ships with the pre-Klingon hull type) and Kestrel (KR) ships - none of the Hawk series were in service in this era.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second a welcome.

As djdood stated, the Klingons and Romulans tend to require finesse to play well, which can get frustrating, but if you stick with it, it will pay off.

One route you can go is to download the "first missions" pdf found here. In it you can find the rules to fly a D7 and a federation heavy cruiser. That will at least let you get some experience with one of the empires that you are interested in.

In terms of the two border boxes, the Federation ships included are different, the ones in Romulan Border being from "later" in the war, so they have some flaws corrected from the other ships (slightly better phaser arcs, more power, etc), but the ships from both boxes fly just the same in terms of tactics, since they all have the photon torpedo and roughly equivalent phaser arcs.

I've played both Klingons and Romulans several times, but they aren't my primary races. The biggest thing I can say is that Romulans can be frustrating, since the cloak is a tough system to master, and the long reloading cycle for plasma torpedoes makes me feel rather vulnerable. Tactics often involve medium to high speed oblique attack runs, followed by turning away and/or cloaking to reload.

There are 4 old style Romulan ships: the Snipe, Battlehawk, War Eagle/King Eagle, and Vulture. One thing they all share is the use of armor which is an extra layer of protection after shields. They also happen to have VERY heavy shielding for their size, so they are well protected. The problem is that they can be rather underarmed, with poorer phaser arcs (mostly forward firing) than their Klingon counterparts (though Klingon ships have some of the BEST arcs in the game). They also tend to have worse turn modes than the Klingon ships (again the Klingons have some of the best turn modes in the game).

With the KR and other Klingon built ships, they tend to be a bit underarmed for their cost, having a few less plasma torpedoes than the nice 3rd generation romulan ships (but have good maneuverability and phaser arcs), but suffer from very high cloak costs, making running away to reload a bit harder.

I hope that gives you some of the information you were looking for.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[headslap] Geez. I go on as long as I did and I forgot to mention the First Missions download. Good catch Paul.

I'll defer to the other guys on how Romulans fly (since I don't use 'em. I just blow them up when the other guy blows his timing).

As far as preferences for how the ships are put together and how they look, I'm a huge fan of the later (GW-era) "Eagle" series that got mentioned up-thread. The SparrowHawk is one of the most distinctive designs in the game universe. Gorgeous ship and it's stablemates look great with it (take a look at this new Fleet Box cover [url=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4151233&id=694832617#!/photo.php?pid=3978823&id=231728653279]HERE[/url] to see how nice they look [link points to Facebook, which may or may not work for you]).

The Federation ship mix in the two border boxes is as-described above. In both, you get a spread of ship-sizes. From tiny frigates (FFG in FC:KB, FFB in FC:RB) up to the massive dreadnoughts (like the DNG in FC:KB and DNF in FC:RB). One thing that sets them apart is two ships: the new light cruiser (NCL) is a long-time favorite for a lot of folks. The strike cruiser (CS) is a more recent addition, which has made a lot of fans (myself included; it's my ride of choice). Both of those are in Romulan Border, instead of the old light cruiser (oCL) and heavy cruiser (CA) [the "tv ship"] seen in Klingon Border.

Which way to go is entirely up to you. You can even use the "... Space" products or boosters to get the ships from the Border boxes, without buying the boxed products, should you choose. To be honest though, I have both box-sets. The extra copies of the reference charts are very handy and I'm of the mind that you can never have too many map-panels (the mixture of which is slightly different between the two box-sets, IIRC).
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can go download FIRST MISSIONS and play the Klingons for free.

You can buy Academy for I think $25 and it has both a D7 and a War Eagle and you can then download the KR and K7R from commander's circle and drive them around the block.
NeoTanuki
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the responses and suggestions! One thing I am really liking while looking into this game is all the options offered to try it out, including the free PDF, the lower-cost Academy box, and the big sets with the option to buy extras. It's good to have all these options, even if it makes choosing that much harder!

I downloaded the First Missions rules and read through them last night; I was very pleased that the rules seemed surprisingly straightforward. (I've heard stories for a long time how complex SFB was supposed to be, FC seems more around the complexity of Classic Battletech or so on my first glance.) The only part that I found a bit challenging at first was understanding movement, but it suddenly clicked when I started thinking of the base speeds in terms of "Slow" "Full" and "Flank" speeds instead of pure numbers. Go figure. Very Happy

I suspect I'm going to take the plunge and try one of the "Border" boxes. A local game store that carries FC gives big discounts if you trade in old boardgames and wargames, and I think I have a few that I can exchange to save on costs.

Still can't make up my mind between Klingons and Romulans, but in a good way--after reading the rules and looking at their stats and playstyle, they are both still very appealing for different reasons. I suspect it's going to boil down to which starter set jumps out at me first at the store; or which Star Trek novel I spot on my bookshelf at home next.

Kudos to all of you and Mr. Cole for being so helpful to a potential player/customer; I have to say I REALLY appreciate so many resources being available here and at the website to check out the game before buying. Good approach!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice thing about your dilemma is that you don't have to make up your mind.

There are scores of scenarios and you can have fun playing out whichever empire you wish.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rulebooks in KB and RB are almost identical, and you can download ships from the other one from Commander's Circle.

Also, if you get Klingon Border, you can then buy Romulan Space or Romulan Border. Space costs less, as it doesn't have the duplicated parts like the expensive maps.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoTanuki wrote:
....but it suddenly clicked when I started thinking of the base speeds in terms of "Slow" "Full" and "Flank" speeds instead of pure numbers....

I like it. Could be useful as a training aid....
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a "gear shifting" analogy (Base 0 is "first gear", Base 8 is "second gear", etc.) to explain it, but whatever works. The "Slow", "Full", "Flank" is certainly more nautical.
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried out my first game tonight!

I picked up Romulan Border yesterday at my FLGS for a 50 percent discount (I traded in some old unused board games for credit). Very pleased with the game contents...not only were the components very good quality, but I was very impressed with the full rulebook. I kept expecting to be confused on things like plasma and cloaking, but it all seemed pretty clearly written. Very nice!

I think I was most pleased with the solo "training" scenarios that gradually introduce you to power allocation, maneuver and phaser fire. This is a great way to introduce a novice to the game basics. To be honest, I felt like I was going through a video game tutorial (I mean this in a good way!) I was able to complete the first "training" scenario of moving and shooting the drones in a very short time (I scored 4 out of 8, using the Federation destroyer, BTW).

I feel that these introductory tutorials are not only helping me get a really good grasp of the basic rules, but will be HUGELY helpful in teaching friends and family the game without them suffering brain meltdown. Very Happy

I'm quite impressed. I've played and enjoyed many simple games, and complicated games, but I've rarely played a complex game that introduces its concepts in as clear and easy to understand a manner as Federation Commander!

I plan to try out more of the intro scenarios, and then my first duel! I'll probably go for the KR cruiser or War Eagle to see how they play.

Actually, one question: I was curious that the Federation seemed to get a more diverse set of ships (destroyer, light cruiser, heavy cruiser, battlecruiser, dreadnought) than the Romulans (destroyer, destroyer, very light cruiser, heavy cruiser, dreadnought). Was there a particular reason for that? It's not a big deal since I plan to start with 1 on 1 ship duels, but I was curious why the Romulans didn't have a ship in the battlecruiser range (80-100 pts fleet scale?) included. Just curious.

But overall, I'm really liking my first forays into Federation Commander, s you can no doubt tell. Very Happy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Romulans and Klingons get considerable additional ships in the Romulan Attack and Klingon Attack expansion packs. The bulk of the Federation ships are provided in the boxed Border products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: