Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Size Problem d20 version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Size Problem d20 version Reply with quote

I just got a copy of the D20 version of Prime Directive. I think the size of the races may be wrong. I notice a number of them are large creatures.

In d20, large creatures take up a square on the battlemat that is 10' x 10', and they have reaches of 10'. The Gorn is obviously sized wrong. Gorn should be Medium size, close in size (maybe slightly taller) to humans.

Large size is roughly double Medium size. A horse is large sized, for instance, which Gorn are not even close to. My guess is that the Kzinti also should be Medium.

Thoughts?

(BTW: I will be picking up the d20M version soon)
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric:
Yes, there are some size discrepancies in PD20. I wasn't involved in development of that one, so I can't speak for certain but I'd hazard a guess that it stems from using data from differnet game systems and trying to fit everything together.

Everyone knows that Kzinti and Gorn are larger than Humans, so it seemed natural to classify them as large creatures - so they so.

Later, we did D20M and we revisited the size issue. This time around, we looked at the sizes of the individual beings and made them the proper size. Hence in D20M, Gorn nad Kzinti are M sized creatures.

I hope this helps.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Eric:
Yes, there are some size discrepancies in PD20. I wasn't involved in development of that one, so I can't speak for certain but I'd hazard a guess that it stems from using data from differnet game systems and trying to fit everything together.

Everyone knows that Kzinti and Gorn are larger than Humans, so it seemed natural to classify them as large creatures - so they so.

Later, we did D20M and we revisited the size issue. This time around, we looked at the sizes of the individual beings and made them the proper size. Hence in D20M, Gorn nad Kzinti are M sized creatures.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Any chance of adding such things to the errata?

Love the games!
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I think that PD20 will have to stand on its own. The decision was made that there needed to be diversity in size among the species in that product.

For PD20M, we went back to the tried and true. Our species are what they are in size. If that means that they are all "medium", so be it. A 7' tall Gorn is a 7' tall Gorn. If that makes him "medium" in PD20M and "large" in Fairies and Flowers, that is how we will go.

Jean
RPG Line Editor
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not that big of a deal. Most PD GMs will just consider it a Typo and adjust it.

I have yet to run or play a role playing game where house-rules 'weren't' in effect. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: