Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So here is my idea for the upcoming STRATEGICON in LA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: So here is my idea for the upcoming STRATEGICON in LA Reply with quote

I am planning a small Fed Com tournament for Strategicon’s September event in Los Angeles. I wasn’t going to run it like Origins, as I don’t have that kind of resources.

Here is my idea. I’d appreciate comments on making this idea better, please.

The event would be multi-player events over the weekend (a four-day event, so we can do one round a day). No entry fee (though my hosting the events will get me a rebate on admission and a discount on hotel stay, which is cool). I would also want to give away some kind of prize for the winner, so I will go and talk to some of the game stores around here for a donation in exchange for advertising them at my tables. I gave away a reference rulebook at a different event, and that seemed like a great prize to get players in.

Each event would be a multiplayer event, pitting either single ships or battle groups against each other in three different scenarios.

The winner will be the one with the most points from each event. It won’t be victory points (which may be used to judge the individual event); points will be awarded for how you placed in an event (kind of like how NASCAR points or FEDEX Cup points in golf work), plus bonus points for completing special objectives which I will add to the scenarios. This added bonus is inspired from playing Paizo’s Pathfinder scenarios at cons, where each faction has something to do outside of the main story to gain extra in-game swag.

You won’t have to play all three (but maybe I should require two out of three), and the final point total wins. I haven’t figured out the point system yet, but maybe the bonus points should do less for the scenario winner, in order to balance out someone winning and getting all the bonus points and dominating too much before the final round.

For each scenario, the players can use different ships, but for battlegroups it must follow the Origins 2010 requirements for points, and restrictions. For single ships, they can select one of appropriate point value. Players can bring cards they want to use, or they can borrow from my sets, but if I don't have a card they want, they cant use that. I was also thinking that each person should choose an empire to use throughout all three events, and they must all be different.

So far, I am considering the following scenarios for use:

Assigned Target Game: This will be a conversion from SG42.0 in the SFB tournament book. I will probably make it battlegroups for three to four players, and single ships for 5-8. I will also eliminate the “picking up color” thing, and just make the rule that of the player selects his own ship, there is a redraw.

Black Hole Mania: A variant-conversion from SFB’s SG50.0. Again, battlegroups for 3-4, single ships from 5-8. In this one they battle while black holes keep popping up. This would use standard victory points.

Attack and Defend: This is one of my design, pitting 3-8 battle groups at each other, with scoring based on damage to opposing “target bases.” A “goalie” ship will have to guard them. Player’s score one point for each point of internal damage inflicted on an opponent’s target base. In addition, at the end of each turn, each player adds a bonus of one point per point scored on the enemy base that round, limited to the number of internal boxes left in your own base. So if you inflicted 40 internals on enemy bases, but end the turn with only 15 internals left on your base, you would receive 55 total points that turn (40 plus 15 bonus).The idea is that you need to balance attack and defense, because scoring and not being damaged give you higher scores.

Any other scenarios you think would be cool? Any thoughts?
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I remember the good ole days when you could expect a dozen people for the SFB Captains tournament at these Los Angeles conventions. I too, was starting to consider a Fed Com tourny for Strategecon. I was only thinking of just doing the Origins style game. I don't know what kind of turn would be expected for Fed Com, but i wouldn't guess it to be big so I don't know if a multi-day event would be good.

Your scenario ideas are good. Have you tried the assigned target game with each player having a squadron? I wonder how that will work out. There is an attack and defend type scenario in Captains Log #21 with each side has a group of ships and a freighter convoy to attack the other convoy and defend your own, that might be better than the base you suggest and it's easy to count cargo boxes for extra victory points. What can be done depends on how many people show up to play of course.

Since you are talking about the L.A. conventions, i presume you are somewhere in the area. We have a small group that plays at Game Empire in Pasadena. I suggest checking the store message board ( http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gameempire91107/ ) to find out when we are playing the next few times. Where does your group play?
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1a1dat wrote:
I too, was starting to consider a Fed Com tourny for Strategecon.

Good, you can help me. LOL

Quote:
I was only thinking of just doing the Origins style game. I don't know what kind of turn would be expected for Fed Com, but i wouldn't guess it to be big so I don't know if a multi-day event would be good.

My thought was to make it where a few to many can play at the same time, so I wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of separate tables, and we can have a real social event. Also, I was trying to make it scale for a few or a lot. I think getting the word out before hand is the way to get people in. If not multi-day, then maybe one big battle!
Quote:
Your scenario ideas are good. Have you tried the assigned target game with each player having a squadron? I wonder how that will work out.

I was going to give it a try when I visit AZ to see how it works, actually. FC really is better with more than one ship.
Quote:
There is an attack and defend type scenario in Captains Log #21

I don't have that Captain's Log. Would love to see the scenario though.
Quote:
We have a small group that plays at Game Empire in Pasadena. Where does your group play?

I know of you guys, and have been real jealous that you are all so into it. I am in Garden Grove, near Anaheim. I am getting people interested, but it hasn't been easy. When I visit Phoenix there is a great group out there as well. I would love to play with you guys, but I can't make it there on a weekday night, with my wife needing to be at school real early, and hour each way doesn't cut it. If there was something on a Saturday I would be all over it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: