Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeker range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Seeker range Reply with quote

I was just checking something up regarding the andros, and noticed that on a more general point that whilst seekers have to be launched within 25 hexes of the target, and drones have to remain within 25 hexes of the controller ship, there is no rule about how far the target ship can get from the drone/controller (that i spotted).

Is that correct, that once launched the target can pull away well beyond 25 hexes and still be tracked by the seeker.

It's one of those things that, without checking it up, I would have guessed remains at all time and the seeker loses lock if the target gets away. I tend to see that for FC 25 hexes is the cut off for any sort of weapon lock/track etc.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit: Fixed the answer.]

The limit is 25 hexes. The drone (or suicide shuttle) must be within 25 hexes of the controlling ship. The distance between the target and controlling ship doesn't matter after launch.

Note that, since plasma are self-guiding, the only restriction is that the plasma and the target be 25 hexes or closer (since the plasma serves as the "controlling ship" in this case). (Which is actually fairly irrelevant, as the plasma would likely end up doing no damage if fired that far away.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy

Last edited by mjwest on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The limit is 25 hexes. The drone (or suicide shuttle) and the target must both be within 25 hexes of the controlling ship.

Note that, since plasma are self-guiding, the only restriction is that the plasma and the target be 25 hexes or closer. (Which is actually fairly irrelevant, as the plasma would likely end up doing no damage if fired that far away.)

Is that something I've missed in the book, or something that needs an update?

Yeah I didn't see plasma being an issue in a general sense. But maybe with Andros.

Actually just noticed you said both drone AND controller must remain in 25 hexes of target, ooooh, not just the drone.

What I was wondering was whether the DisDev could be used to hop back out of range (which is where even plasma might be affected).

Admittedly I know nothing about the Disdev yet, so I have no idea about how far it can move you, or what the side effects are. But in concept it sounds like a useful anti seeker mechanism. Can you, for example, charge a Gorn who might launch at mid range against you coming head on and then DisDev back to range 26 to lose tracking but still be heading straight at the Gorn so you don't have to faff around with turn modes etc.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they maintain Displacement distance from SFB -- SVC mentioned a table but didn't give the distances --

Moving an opponent is random 1-6 ---
Moving your ship is up to 12 ---

If you care to maintain facing to a Gorn -- time your separation from Plasma where its 1 or 2 hexes when impulse ends -- jump over it, it will have to het and make up the distance you jumped (determined by how close you care to come to the launching ship) ---
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
If they maintain Displacement distance from SFB -- SVC mentioned a table but didn't give the distances --

Moving an opponent is random 1-6 ---
Moving your ship is up to 12 ---

If you care to maintain facing to a Gorn -- time your separation from Plasma where its 1 or 2 hexes when impulse ends -- jump over it, it will have to het and make up the distance you jumped (determined by how close you care to come to the launching ship) ---

Aye I can see the jump over is more likely for plasma with its very limited life, I was just pondering other uses, but was surprised I didn't see anything seeming to limit post launch tracking as expected (unless I missed it).

Jump over may not be useful for drones which last longer and may be annoying if you start to accumulate drones coming in from all over the place - those just launched ahead of you and those behind you that you jumped over earlier, causing them to lose tracking seemed more interesting.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to mention it --

Drones last till the end of the third turn after launch ---

Effectively giving them 72 hexes to move --
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the target, the drone and the launching/controlling unit all need to be within 25 hexes of each other.

Drones will usually have less than the 72 hexes of movement as they run out of gas at the end of the third turn so if you launch them on impulse 8 of turn one then at the end of turn 3 they run out of gas and really only get 2 turns of movement.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off topic, does displacement cause disrupted fire control in FC? If it does, does it cause drones to lose tracking?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(4F2a)

Quote:
The launching unit must be within 25 hexes of the target at the time the seeking weapon is launched.

Quote:
Weapons more than 25 hexes from the controlling ship also self-destruct.

I did not see anything in the rules saying that the target had to remain within 25 hexes of the launching ship.

What if a ship launches drones at a target and the target accelerates beyond 25 hexes of the drones? Do the drones self-destruct immediately?

If that is the case, then a target ship could accelerate beyond 25 hexes causing the drones to self-destruct. Then the target ship could turn and come back toward the launching ship without the drones to worry about.

This does seem to be what the rules say.

Mike West, please clarify.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I haven't had chance to go through the rules and see if I missed something, but that is all I saw on a quick flick through as well, hence the question. From the rules I could find it appears as though post-launch the target range is irrelavant.

PS I know about the drones 3 turn limit, thats why I was intrigued in what may be a use if the displacement device to just cause all tracking to drop, rather than spend 3 turns having to avoid them (or deal with them in other ways). Situational, but potentially useful - if the 25 hex limit really does applies after launch.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
(4F2a)

Quote:
The launching unit must be within 25 hexes of the target at the time the seeking weapon is launched.

Quote:

Mike is correct; I misspoke. I apologize for that.

After launch, the distance between the target ship and the controlling ship doesn't matter. All that matters is the distance between the seeking weapon and the controlling ship.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Mike wrote:
(4F2a)

Quote:

Quote:

Mike is correct; I misspoke. I apologize for that.

After launch, the distance between the target ship and the controlling ship doesn't matter. All that matters is the distance between the seeking weapon and the controlling ship.

Ok, so once launched there is nothing you can do with the displacement device on yourself (or just normal moves) to cause to seekers to drop, you can displace 30, 40 or 50 hexes away from the controller or drone and (barring disengagement rules) the drone will still track until it runs out.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Ok, so once launched there is nothing you can do with the displacement device on yourself (or just normal moves) to cause to seekers to drop, you can displace 30, 40 or 50 hexes away from the controller or drone and (barring disengagement rules) the drone will still track until it runs out.

Yes, that is correct as the rules stand.

However, as long as you stay 26 hexes from the controlling ship, the drones cannot hit you. Smile

(Of course, if you stay at 26 hexes, the scenario rapidly becomes pointless as no one can hurt anyone. But, there you are ...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: