Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FCOL Battle: Ericphillips vs. Pinecone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: FCOL Battle: Ericphillips vs. Pinecone Reply with quote

Last night, Eric and I met for a pre-planned FCOL battle. The battle lasted about three hours and there was still no clear winner. Both of us enjoyed it though, and we are looking forward to another battle soon.

These were the forces used:

Pinecone-Federation: NCA, CA, DW
Ericphillips-Kzinti: BC, CM, CM

The Kzinti started in direction F, the Feds in C.

Turn 1:
All of the federation ships plotted speed zero, while the Kzinti ships went 24. The CA and DW both accelerated and moved 6 hexes each. The Kzinti ships did not accelerate. The NCA held back, not accelerating at all either. At the end of the turn, the CA and DW were about 16 hexes from the kzinti ships. The federation ships fired phasers at the BC, but they did not damage it due to reinforcement. The Kzinti launched 12 drones, 8 targeted on the CA, 4 on the DW. The federation ships overloaded every photon they had.

Turn 2:
Surprisingly, this as the last turn we played. But a lot happened, drawing it out a long time. The CA and DW both plotted 24, while the NCA retained it's 0. The Kzinti ships plotted 24 as well. The ships closed closed into range 4, where the feds fired every photon they had at the BC. Five of the 8 hit, crippling the BC. The BC returned distruptor fire onto the CA, but it did not breach the shield.

The drones continued to close on the Federation ships, who both now had only 2 energy. The drones impacted, and while the DW managed to kill all the drones targeted on it, but the CA (due to power issues) only killed four of the drones, leaving four to hit. What's more, the Kzinti ships then fired, and although they got bad rolls they still crippled the CA.

At this point the CMs and the BC split up, the CMs towards the NCA and the BC off to repair. The DW moved to assist the NCA while the CA also went off to repair, albeit in the same direction as the BC. The BC launched drones at the CA, while the CMs launched at the DW. The NCA launched its drones to help cover the powerless DW. The DW continued to accelerate, and managed to bring a CM into it's Photon arc due to a low-energy turn, at range two no less. Although one photon did miss, the CM was fairly dead. The drones hit the CA leaving it fairly dead as well.

This was the point where we ended. The BC was crippled, but was not dead. The CM and the CA, while not destroyed, were, well, dead. The Kzinti still had a chance though, because next turn the Feds wouldn't have their torps ready. The final CM could cripple the DW, leaving the forces somewhat equal (assuming the BC could repair in time). It would've been interesting to continue, but we sadly didn't have time.

Anyway we both had a great time. Very Happy I fully recomend FCOL to other players with a lack of oponents, or without for that matter. I hope you enjoyed reading this and Eric, good game Wink
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well reported pinecone I really enjoyed reading and am kinspired to reup my account
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it Smile

Glad you enjoyed it Smile Wink

It was defiently a fun battle. One lesson I learned is that (especially with crunch races) is that firing everything at one ships is not neccesarily a good idea. since I spread out my attacks, I was able to cripple the BC and the CM, instead of simply destroying the BC. Its especially important for two-three turn arming races, because you want to do more damage to them than they do to you, or they will destroy you on the re-arming turn.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. I think the idea of Pinecone keeping a ship back and out of it to vulture on the rest was a good tactic there. Dice helped a little, but after engaging his two ships, I was susceptible to his PHOTs. And with his using so little energy, he could overload them to +8.

As for targeting one or all ships as a tactic, good point, in a battle of close point value ships. However, I recently played a battleship scenario. We each had a Battleship, 2 battle cruisers, and more (total about 7 ships a side). I concentrated firing on his two largest ships, splitting my fleet into two groups, and took them out. He conceded, as his remaining fleet was too weak. Of course, he was a Gorn, and didn't have his plasma ready yet, which gave me an upper hand.

So, my thought is that if you have one enemy ship much larger than the others in its battlegroup you should try to kill it, because the remaining fleet will be an easier battle.

My only sad part was when my six drones hit his Fed CA. 72 points of damage on top of previous damage. And it didn't go boom. Tough ship.

Yes, join up. I'll organize a campaign!

Last edited by ericphillips on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... but after the drones hit it couldn't make anynoe go boom either Wink

It definetly depends what raace you are using and against who. If sabre dancing, then yah, you should concentrate on one ship. If you're alpha striking, then you should kill as many different ships as possible.

Killing a big ship first is a good idea, if you can do it with 1 or 2 strikes. If not you should kill the largest ship that you can kill with the available weapons.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one of the things I love about this game. Each empire plays with its own style, and needs to adjust for other empires styles. I was playing Kzinti vs. Lyran not long ago and that was a frustrating thing for me: those ESGs just take most of the punch out of drones.

The one race I have not played at all is Roms (or against). Cloaking? Is it worth it?
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
Thats one of the things I love about this game. Each empire plays with its own style, and needs to adjust for other empires styles. I was playing Kzinti vs. Lyran not long ago and that was a frustrating thing for me: those ESGs just take most of the punch out of drones.

The one race I have not played at all is Roms (or against). Cloaking? Is it worth it?

Cloaking is for hiding while you charge up your plasmas.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
Cloaking is for hiding while you charge up your plasmas.

Good point.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though admittedly, it's hard to do both at the same time. With the huge enregy costs, that is.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Though admittedly, it's hard to do both at the same time. With the huge enregy costs, that is.

Gooder point.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:

Can be. You can underload as an F and try to run as fast as possible then pay a premium on the last turn...but in FC it's all too easy for people to burn power to catch you.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cloak while underloading and then decloak to load the larger ones. With Fs ready, it at least makes the enemy hesitant to come near you.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am ready for another battle!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When? I'd enjoy another match too! Very Happy
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone knows: I freelance and can play almost anytime you can. I'm on the West Coast. Sunday is out.

You name it. Anyone else just email me to set up something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: