Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8KB6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: 8KB6 Reply with quote

So I was digging through my books looking for an interesting scenario to play and I came across this one in my Klingon Space book. I'm not sure how the defender can ever win this...

It's not specified what type of base we are assaulting but I am assuming it's a mobile base as I don't think anything larger than that was included in Klingon Space (or am I wrong?). If it's a bigger station the small suicide freighter will explode in a couple PH-4 hits and be completely trivial to deal with.

So we have a mobile base, two frigates and two useless large freighters
vs
2 heavy cruisers/BCs, a frigate, and a small suicide freighter

Is it even possible to defend? It really doesn't seem that likely. The scenario allows for 10 turns which seems a lifetime worth of time.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean scenario 8KE.

I think it is a BATs - a 300 point base (which is what the blurb for force dynaimcs talks about).
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrow your thinking is, youngling Wink

The large freighters are excellent for slowing down the attacking ships. Attach a tractor beam to an attacker and at the very least he has to spend power to break the beam or shoot the 'useless' freighter. If the beam is not broken, it prevents the ships from rushing in to point-blank range to pound the base. The idea is to buy time and opportunities for the base to fire more salvos from those Phaser-4's....
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freighters can also use their phasers to stop incoming drones, if you move some Marines to the freighters they can use their transporters to do marine raids, and they can launch suicide shuttles.

They are not useless, they are sacrifices. And pretty good ones.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Do you mean scenario 8KE.

I think it is a BATs - a 300 point base (which is what the blurb for force dynaimcs talks about).

No 8KB6 is right; it's from Klingon Space (the base rules for Klingon Border), not Klingon Attack (which is what yours is from). The one you reference is specific about it being a 300 pointer. It also has different forces on each side.

The one from Klingon Space/Border is non-specific. I assume it means Mobile Base since I don't think that boxed set came with a battlestation.

To the other responders: Ok. I will reconsider the uselessness of the large freighters Smile. Do you guys know for sure if it's a mobile though? I would assume it is since if it was a battlestation you'd think they'd bring a large suicide freighter.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a BATS. Look on the back of the Planet Killer Card.

Or you could check communique too.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought klingon space was essentially klingon border - and KB had a BATS (card 16).

I thought 8KE also pitted a small suicide against a BATS, and whilst I haven't read the scenario you refer to (having KB/KA rather than KS) it does sound very similar.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scenarios in Klingon Space are indeed the same ones that are in Klingon Border.

Also note that once the form for scenarios was decided on, the scenarios from Klingon Border/Space and Klingon Attack were renumbered.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN other words, 8H is actually 8KB6, and 8KE is really 8KA5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: