Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime Directive LARP ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Prime Directive LARP ? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Has anyone tried out a PD Live Action Role Playing (LARP) scenario ? I think this could help to further popularize the SFU and PD, if PD LARP sessions could be organized at Trek and Cosplay Conventions.

This could also kick-start a new side industry, ergo production of SFU uniforms, badges, insignia, medals, etc.

Would ADB be interested in maybe making a PD LARP manual or something ?

Cheers,

Gary
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write one and I'll print it.

See if you can get the Terrorwerks guys to run a star trek scenario at Origins 2011. (I have three combat coins from previous combat missions at Terrorwerks and plan to pick up and fourth and fifth in about two and a half weeks.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SVC,

Challenge accepted ! However, since I'm based in Europe I'm afraid I can't really help with US-based events.

Cheers,

Gary
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... Maybe you can The folks who do the excellent Star Trek Phase II and Starship Farragut Fan Films give some input. Smile

And you could Role Play an Away Team during a SCA or Nero event for fun, (the Organizers need to be in on it though).
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

At the heart of any LARP is the weapons technology to be used. Options to simulate phasers include (1) Paintball, (2) Airsoft, (3) Laser Tag (toy / retail grade), (4) Laser Tag (professional / arena grade) and (5) Nerf. All have their pros and cons.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Gary
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say laser tag related stuff is more fun as it's more futuristic. It also doesn't have the issue of people getting hurt by projectiles nor the issue of having to pick up projectiles afterward from the grounds. Airsoft, paintball, and nerf also all have continual costs in ammo (for the first two) and lost bolts (for nerf).
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dirk,

I'm with you there on Laser Tag, given the ammo issues you cited and the fact that it is closest to phasers in operation. The problem however is availability and cost. If we were to use the professional grade LT we would have to coordinate with a supplier / arena owner, as they are quite expensive. If we were to use the toy type they are not that easy to find, and could be rather costly as well.

I wonder if SFU PD LARP enthusiasts would be willing to invest in a basic set of Laser Tag equipment, and to accept a standard system. At this point it seems that the following system is the most viable:

http://www.ikon-x.com/

Basically the Ikon-X consists of a scope-like system that you attach to the gun of your choice, and sets you back about $200 a unit.

Cheers,

Gary
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitly laser tag style equipment. Oh, and be sure to check in with local Law Agencies to let them know what you're doing. Few things ruin everyone's day faster than the cops not knowing there's a LARP going on in their juristiction. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: