Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My ship color of choice (HAPPY JOY JOY)- and a question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: My ship color of choice (HAPPY JOY JOY)- and a question. Reply with quote

I think we all have a preference for what we think looks cool, which means we end up with different colors for the same minis, and it reflects our personalities.

Since I started painting Starline minis a few months ago i have been searching for colors I will use. Early on I focused on a red for the Kzinti, using Skorne Red from Privateer Press Paints (P3). I also found a great color for the hulls of my Klingons- Battledress Green from P3.

But the Feds I have not been happy with. I first made a CS with Citadel Colours' Fortress Grey. Nice, but too grey. For the next Fed I made a CA and used Citadel's Space Wolves Grey. It looks nice, if a little powder blue (I tired white but the white just was too... white).

[Hey, we just had an Earthquake. Everythings ok.]

Finally, I am painting an HDW. I decided to mix two citadel paints for the base coat, Space Wolves Grey and Mithril Silver in a 2:1 ratio. All I can say is... I found my hull color. Sweet grey, just a hint of cool blue, with a metallic property to it.

Here is my question: I was going to use a spray coating on my minis to protect the paint. What will the coating do to my metallic sheen? Should I dull coat or gloss it?

Now I need to find my Gorn color. As it is now i have a metallic green basecoat with orange highlights. It look like an Orange Bowl float.

Thanks
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not clear-coated over metal paint, except one time with Testors "buffable" metalizer paint, which comes with it's own sealant coat (which appears to be a gloss.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both glosscote and dullcote over metallics. The effect you get with each is different:

Romulan KCN in chrome silver with a gloss topcoat:

Tholian NDN in copper with a dull topcoat:

Glosscoat seems to intensify the "shine" of metallic paint. My chrome Roms are extremely shiny...the photo doesn't do them justice. Dull coat, on the other hand, is, well...dull. Seriously, it takes a lot of the "shine" out of the paint, and gives it a more burnished look.

The one key I found with either is to keep the coats light. A heavy coat of clearcoat on a metal paint can turn cloudy.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

mmmmmm, nice one wedge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: