Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next purchase recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szieser
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Next purchase recommendations? Reply with quote

So, I have both Klingon and Romulan Border sets. This weekend, I get to go to Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, where they have nearly EVERYTHING. So, what would be a good, bang for the buck-wise, next purchase? Why?
Discuss.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want.

At the minimum I suggest Klingon and Romulan Attack, as they provide more ships for the empires you already have. With those Attack modules, you can now have some nice options and diversity in your fleets.

After that, it all depends on what you want. Which empires then interest you.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Mike.

Get Klingon Attack and Romulan Attack. That will fill out your selection of ships, you'll then have pretty much complete selections of Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Kzinti and Gorn ships, with a smattering of Orions and Tholians.

A copy of the Reference Rulebook might be helpful IMO; you'll get to see the special rules for the empires you don't yet have and can decide which interests you most.

Briefing #1 has some fun material in it, like new scenarios.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to find your favorite race and go into that set/attack combo. With both Borders you have quite a few Fed ships. Say your favorite race is the Hydrans. You could pick up Distant Kingdoms and Hydran Attack and then have lots of Fed vs Hydran vs Lyran battles.

If you haven't already played a lot of races you said your game store there has everything. Do they have an open store copy of any of it? If so you can read through the various race system rules and see if anything calls out to you.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Klingon Attack and Romulan Attack are must haves. I'd suggest getting them in order of release. Also, I hope you are grabbing some of the boosters, as there are ships in them only in the boosters (like the Fed CC).

And don't forget the minis.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I did it was, Border, Boosters, Attack, Boosters, and so on.

As far as bang for buck, that would be the Communiques. Over 50 of them and counting with new ships, rules, scenarios and your only cost (if any) would be for printing the new ship cards and/or scenarios.
szieser
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I dig the Communiques, alright!

So, the resounding chorus seems to be KA/RA. Hmmmm.

As for what races I prefer, I haven't chosen a favorite yet. So far, I have flipped between Roms and the Klinks, mostly because I have been teaching the game every time I play it, and the Feds are the most recognizable to the new players. I haven't tinkered with the other races yet, so the advice I'm hearing sounds like it is right on the money.

I also have bought Boosters 1 and 91(the Franz Joeseph ships?) and have the plastic Zocchi ships. I haven't dipped much into the minis yet, as I have nearly no time to paint and assemble, plus a wife who still wants to know why we have so many little plastic and metal men around the house, let alone little spaceships!
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more of the same buy KA/RA, but if you want to try something a little different:

Distant Kingdoms = Hydrans, Lyrans/LDR, and some WYN
Battleships Attack = The largest ships in the game and a Starbase (All Empires)
Orion Attack = Mostly Orions here but they can be neat ships to experiment with considering they have all the option weapon mounts
Hydran Attack = More Distant Kingdoms stuff.
War and Peace (Your store might have it by this weekend) = Andromedans, ISC, and the Vudar. This is the newest module.

Thats not to say that there isn't cool stuff in KA and RA just that you might get more diversity with a different product.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RA, KA, and DK, HA if you want to explore three other empires.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of love for Tholian Attack, it seems; but then, web rules might take a little bit of wrestling with to get the hang of. Plus, if I were buying into FC for the first time nowadays, I'm pretty sure War and Peace would be high on the list at any rate!

After Klingon and Romulan Attack, one way to go could be to try the Middle Years ships in Briefing #2. Some of the Fed ships in Booster #91 are intended to be used in this era, plus it and the Reference Rulebook would give you a good look at the pre-refit Lyran/LDR, Hydran and WYN fleets, too. (I mention the RRB since it has rules for things like ESGs, fusion beams and Hydran Stingers; though there are rules in B2 itself which highlight how differently some systems work in the Middle Years setting.)
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion attack is my fave but the web rules are definitely worth using. Tholians in an asteroid field present just that extra-brilliant challenge.....
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Not a lot of love for Tholian Attack, it seems; but then, web rules might take a little bit of wrestling with to get the hang of. Plus, if I were buying into FC for the first time nowadays, I'm pretty sure War and Peace would be high on the list at any rate!

My problems with Tholians have always been thus:
- Are we in asteroids/lots of terrain for webs? Tholians win.
- Ok we're in open space, is it a game with 3 sides? Ok Tholian webs say "let's you and him fight", Tholians win.
- Ok, 2 sides in open space...crap Tholians lose.

It's not really as black and white as this but sometimes it feels that way.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there are Seletorians... that could easily change the situation.
szieser
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchases complete! I ended up getting both KA and RA, as well as Distant Kingdoms. I saw W&P, but the Andromedeans just don't do it for me...
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szieser wrote:
.... the Andromedeans just don't do it for me...

You're right. They do it to you.

Congratulations on your purchases - I'm certain you'll love them Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: