Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faster plasma?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that ther are different views here on whether plasma needs a boost. Ignore that issue for the moment and look a another question I've posed earlier but got no response.

What is the benchmark for determining balance?

Phul has posted a fairly detailed account of how he beat someone he classes as reasonably competent being beaten by his previously described tactics, I've posted a rough description of 3 games where I beat someone I class as reasonably competent, The post Saved earlier quoted me from was an account of someone getting beaten by plasma. Cleary people are getting beaten by plasma. Are these people getting beaten to be discounted in determining balance simply because they are not up to the standard Saved puts himself at playing 2 or 3 games every weekend? They are not newbs, but just because they are not of the same material others hold themselves to be, are they irrelevant to such discussion?

Would it not be the case that if we boosted plasma to a point where even great players expected to lose 50% of the time to plasma that, in fact, we will leave the more common normal players complaining how overpowered it is?

So at what level of skill should we be biasing any discussion of determining balance?
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
phul wrote:

I bow to your obvious superior competancy and look forward to the day we are able to play, so that I may learn from your superior game.

If you really think it was competent play to turn away from 3 PL-F launched at 14 hexes, we really don't have any basis for discussion.

The Lyran doesn't understand the weaknesses of plasma. Once the Rom has launched his wad you win. So you do everything in your power to get them to launch their wad. He could easily deal with the F's through phaser fire and force the Rom to respond with more plasma. He needs to force the Rom to use more plasma.

A fully healthy DNH running from 3 PL-F's fired at long range is an example of an obvious game losing move. This isn't an opinion or a matter of tactical choice. Him running in that situation is akin to falling for Scholar's Mate. You bated him into making an obvious mistake. Plasma shouldn't be balanced around the other side making a mistake to be effective.

Consider this: would that Lyran player have run from 4 overloaded photons on deck? No? The damage is similar. In fact the damage is more with the photons since you can't fire phasers to reduce it. He wasn't yet presented with anything scary enough to disengage. He should have continued on course.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
What is the benchmark for determining balance?

The questions around balance are:

- Is there "trick" to beating plasma?
Many are contending there is and that those posting play reports are not addressing the balance concern as the folks fighting against said plasma are not using said "trick". For example, there is a "trick" to not losing tic-tac-toe as Player1. If Player1 doesn't use this "trick" then it doesn't prove it's a balanced game anyone can win.

- Is the only reliable way to win as plasma to do a 10 turn plasma ballet?
This has been identified as against tourney rules and unfavorable in both a tourney setting and FC in general which is intended to be a fast game as opposed to the long game of SFB.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair warning:

We are rapidly approaching the point where no actual discussion is taking place anymore. Either new points need to be raised (or at least have old points explained differently), or I will lock this thread for at least a cooling off period.

The best thing that can be done is for the proponents for a change to start posting results of actual fights that demonstrate their points. Talking through hypothetical situations won't accomplish anything. It needs to be actual playtest reports demonstrating the issue. It is incumbent on those wanting a change to prove the point, not those desiring the status quo. If there is a "trick" to beating plasma, we need to see it shown in action.

Finally, please do not get mad when a given writeup is at least partially dismissed because of serious errors in the fight. In the last writeup the Lyran made at least two crippling errors that heavily influenced his loss. It is hard to draw conclusions from that.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:

The questions around balance are:

- Is there "trick" to beating plasma?
Many are contending there is and that those posting play reports are not addressing the balance concern as the folks fighting against said plasma are not using said "trick". For example, there is a "trick" to not losing tic-tac-toe as Player1. If Player1 doesn't use this "trick" then it doesn't prove it's a balanced game anyone can win.

- Is the only reliable way to win as plasma to do a 10 turn plasma ballet?
This has been identified as against tourney rules and unfavorable in both a tourney setting and FC in general which is intended to be a fast game as opposed to the long game of SFB.

Neither addresses the question. Would the average player understand the 'trick' . Clearly not all players do. What rates as a 'trick' even. There is no 'trick' to beating plasma. There are tactics to mitigate plama tactics just as there are tactics to mitigate most other tactics.

I've not seen any rule saying anything about plasma ballet being illegal in the tourney rules. I've seen unsupported statements about it being illegal, but the tourney rules published here for origins 2009 and 2010 do not make any tactic illegal. Neither is a play style a balance issue, it is a subjective preference for a play style, nothing more.

Some of those saying plasma is unbalanced are either outright saying how good they are, or putting down others as not being competent, when those who know those players better are saying they are. Maybe those saying they are not competent are also so good that they have forgotten what a normal player is likely to do. Should the game be balanced around the topo few % of hard core players and what they think, or should it be balanced around the ability of more average players?

I consider my self 'reasonably competent' but in the middle of a timed tourney game I've made errors that I would never have done without the timer. I've eaten plasma that had no reason to hit me except for missing a vital slip earlier, due to not spending quite long enough plotting routes. I've had a pristine ship blasted to smithereens by stingers because in the heat of the moment, the time pressure and with so much going on I forgot to turn as planned and bring weapons into arc!

Last edited by storeylf on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Should the game be balanced around the topo few % of hard core players and what they think, or should it be balanced around the ability of more average players?

That is an extremely valid question that hasn't been brought up yet. The question plagues MMOs and competitive eSports constantly. The perfect world is of course that it is balanced for all skill levels and key strategies are apparent to all. I'm not sure any game has accomplished that Smile.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from memory since it was about 3 weeks ago. I was the Klingons vs Romulans. We rolled a D20 to randomly pick from among the 20 standard tournament fleets.

Romulans: 2 KE, BH, Snipe

Klingons: DWL, 2 D7.

Turn 1:

Romulans chose speed 8 and cloaked until impulse 8. The rules were a bit unclear, but we played that drones couldn't launch at a ship during the fade-in or fade-out period. Klingons chose speed 24. The Roms sent 1 KE along one board edge and another along the adjacent board edge. The BH and Snipe went through the center. The plan was for the Roms to surround me and hopefully make sure there was no avenue of retreat.

Klingons drove up the center. In impulse 8, the Snipe took minimal long range damage due to fade-out of cloak. No seeking weapons were launched for either side. All ships had full batteries.

Turn 2:

All Romulans chose speed 16. All Klingons chose speed 24. All torpedoes loaded, with the PL-Rs loaded as S in case he needs to hold the torp.

Klingons got within 8 of BH and Snipe and crippled them with 12 Disrupters and 12 PH1 (I don't remember the exact range or whether both were crippled or whether 1 was merely damaged). Return fire mostly downed a shield from the DWL and got 1 or 2 burnthrough. 6 Drones launched at a KE and BH and Snipe launched all torps at the DWL. This about impulse 3 or so. DWL and D7s have 7 pwr left.

KE's come in from the board edges and try to surround the squadron. Squadron turns away from the plasma and follows drone wave toward one of the KE. KE saves PH1 for drones and launches all Torps at the DWL at a range of 3-4. This was probably a mistake since he probably should've launched just the R at one of the D7s. This would've forced 2 ships to turn away instead of 1. Or perhaps bolted all torps. Instead, the DWL turns and runs away at 24+1 from all plasma. The 2 D7s chase the KE that shot its load and will probably kill it during reload. My opponent concedes.

1) This was probably not a perfectly played game. The KE made a serious mistake in launching all plasma at the DWL since it already had 3 Gs and 2 Fs chasing it. It probably should've launched the R at a D7. It also should've kept the 2 Fs back to keep the other D7s at bay. Despite this error, I feel it wasn't decisive. Eventually the DWL and D7 would've outrun the torps and turned back at the KE behind another wave of 6 drones. And 1 KE cannot stand up to 3 good Klingon ships, especially on a reload turn.

2) The spreading out of the Rom fleet is very debatable. It didn't achieve its goal of getting into position where plasma was unavoidable, although I'm not sure if it was because the plan was faulty or the execution. And it left the fleet vulnerable to piecemeal tactics. However, my opponent was trying something different. He thought if he kept his fleet together, I would come in and smash one ship and run away. With only 2 R, he couldn't keep me away forever. And I would've been very happy to keep at 15 hexes and keep firing away with Disrupters and PH1 if that's all my opponent would give me. Perhaps his most viable strategy would be to fire a PL-R and chase me behind it. Based on my playing, I don't think that would've worked either.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
storeylf wrote:
Should the game be balanced around the topo few % of hard core players and what they think, or should it be balanced around the ability of more average players?

That is an extremely valid question that hasn't been brought up yet. The question plagues MMOs and competitive eSports constantly. The perfect world is of course that it is balanced for all skill levels and key strategies are apparent to all. I'm not sure any game has accomplished that Smile.

I play Advanced Squad Leader, and this is a question that scenario designers always ask themselves. In practice, it tends to balance toward whatever skill level the playtest groups that the designer can wrangle up, operate at. Very Happy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz, I leave for just 5 hours and and another pages appears?

Oh Well, here's a good explination of my point:

Quote:
mojo jojo wrote:

3) WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THE DNH TURN AWAY FROM A PIDDLY 3 PL-F????? It appears as if they would strike at the 10 pt level. The DNH has enough phasers to totally wipe out all 30 pts of plasma and still have 6 disrupters to fire at Romulan ships. At least force the Roms to launch a couple of S's or the rest of their F's on turn 2.

3 PL-F are 20/16/10/4 x 3. So... If he didn't turn off, they impact at latest impulse 2. 48 damage. Yes, he can mitigate all that with phasor fire. As the Rom, I'd be perfectly happy if he did. I've also described my default response to this action in a prior post (which would require him to eat MORE plasma, or use his HET, becasue it would be too late to turn off at that point, and I'd still be around 9/10 hexes).

Bingo! Everyone knows that Distruptors alone are not sufficient to really blow holes through a shield and leave the ship a smoldering wreck. You need phasers alongside to do that. The Plasma eats the phasers, and that Gives you a phaser advantage. Remeber that Ph-1s are MUCH more energy efficient than Disrs, Phots, or even plasma. So If you force him to use his phasers eating plasma, than your remaining weapons will have much more efficiency than theirs.

And also, remember how I said that Disrs can't really punch through shields? Well, Plasma (and photons, but we aren't talking about them) can.

You know what I think we should do? Saved, this is a friendly challenge, not a "I'm gonna beat you and prove my point" one, but you use FCOL right? I challenge you to the scenario Plasma vs Drones, the one with Gorn vs Klingon. I'll be the gorn. It will serve merely as a test to see what is strong enough and what needs improvement.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
I play Advanced Squad Leader, and this is a question that scenario designers always ask themselves. In practice, it tends to balance toward whatever skill level the playtest groups that the designer can wrangle up, operate at. Very Happy

I play ASL too, and comparing the two games is like comparing night and day. That game in general is balanced to whichever player has a better grasp on the... 300+ pages of rules (discounting all the HASL, module specific, etc), in 6/8 font? Then down to how balanced the scenario is (try comparing Schwerpunkt to Fanatic Enterprises, or even early ASL scenarios to Modern ones; the point you made actually).

mojo jojo wrote:

Match write up from ~3 weeks prior

This is no more indicative of plasma being ineffective than my write up is of sealing the deal that it's competitve.

pinecone wrote:
phul wrote:

Great point I made some posts back

Thanks for pointing it out again. It seemed to be lost in the quote respond quotes.

Wink
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Bingo! Everyone knows that Distruptors alone are not sufficient to really blow holes through a shield and leave the ship a smoldering wreck. You need phasers alongside to do that. The Plasma eats the phasers, and that Gives you a phaser advantage. Remeber that Ph-1s are MUCH more energy efficient than Disrs, Phots, or even plasma. So If you force him to use his phasers eating plasma, than your remaining weapons will have much more efficiency than theirs.

And also, remember how I said that Disrs can't really punch through shields? Well, Plasma (and photons, but we aren't talking about them) can.

In a 1 ship vs 1 ship combat, disrupters probably can't blow down shields. When you have 3 ships and 12 disrupters, that's a different story.

Why would you be happy that he's firing phasers at plasma? Given the actual situation that Phul described, the 3 Lyran ships could've been 1 hex away from the plasma on impulse 2. The 2 DW could fire 8 PH-2 and 4 PH-3 at the plasma, thus only requiring about 4-5 PH-1 and the 2 PH-3 from the DNH to eliminate the plasma. This would leave 12 disrupters and perhaps 10-12 PH-1 between the 3 ships able to fire at the Roms. You would be happy facing that kind of firepower with just 14 PH-1 of your own? That much firepower may not be enough to leave a ship a "smouldering wreck", but it's plenty to knock down the facing shield and do signficant internals to the Roms whereas the Roms can probably only knock down a shield with 14 PH-1 at any range this exchange is likely to take place at.

Efficiency is important, but so is raw damage output. In this situation, the 3 Lyran ships have plenty of power to fire their weapons and still leave a few points to accelerate if necessary.

phul wrote:

I play ASL too, and comparing the two games is like comparing night and day. That game in general is balanced to whichever player has a better grasp on the... 300+ pages of rules (discounting all the HASL, module specific, etc), in 6/8 font? Then down to how balanced the scenario is (try comparing Schwerpunkt to Fanatic Enterprises, or even early ASL scenarios to Modern ones; the point you made actually).

In ASL, rules knowledge is important, but tactics is far more important. A good tactician will generally beat someone who merely knows the rules. Obviously the best players are good at both.

phul wrote:

This is no more indicative of plasma being ineffective than my write up is of sealing the deal that it's competitve.

No it's not. I was responding to Mike's request for play reports to give him more data points. Although the Eagle squadron is definitely the worst plasma squadron and quite possibly the worst squadron period of the 20 sample squadrons. It's so uncompetitive that I would be tempted to simply rush to range 5 if possible or 10 if not and bolt every torp and not only hope I kill the DWL, but that enough of my force survives the retaliation from the 2 D7s during the reload turns ...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
The rules were a bit unclear, but we played that drones couldn't launch at a ship during the fade-in or fade-out period.

That is not the case. Seeking weapons CAN be targeted and launched at a ship during fade-in or fade-out.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bingo! Everyone knows that Distruptors alone are not sufficient to really blow holes through a shield and leave the ship a smoldering wreck.

I'd add "...in one turn" to that statement. Wrecking a shield on one ship (quite possible with a disruptor squadron) and turning away means you're pursuing my undamaged squadron with a damaged ship. I haven't blown up your ship, but a down forward shield is no joke when you want to pursue.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storyelf, I don't care how good someone thinks they are, if there are holes in their strategy or their opponents strategy it reveals only that human beings make mistakes and sometimes get caught thinking inside the box. I believe that all the evidence we have seen of plasma being balanced is based on one strategy and that is waiting for your opponent to make a mistake. This is similair to chess in some ways. As to the question of balance, well I think we should be balancing based on perfect game versus perfect game and allowing die rolls to determine victory, but one mans perfect game is not anothers, that's why we have the game designer and answer man here to help point out any tactical errors we might commit, and of course each other.

As I am leading the charge for the affirmitive here, that plasma is underpowered or overcosted I believe the burden of proof is on that side to prove it. I will refrain from attempting to post any more about theory and what ifs and get down to the nitty gritty of acctually playing a few of these scenarios.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
Storyelf, I don't care how good someone thinks they are, if there are holes in their strategy or their opponents strategy it reveals only that human beings make mistakes and sometimes get caught thinking inside the box. This is similair to chess in some ways. As to the question of balance, well I think we should be balancing based on perfect game versus perfect game and allowing die rolls to determine victory, but one mans perfect game is not anothers, that's why we have the game designer and answer man here to help point out any tactical errors we might commit, and of course each other.

I disagree about balancing to 'perfect games', but it is not a question that has an objectively clear answer. Balancing to perfect players or the majority of average players are both possible goals. The issue is where we start debating something where we haven't actually agreed on what we are balancing to. It appears that we will never agree no matter how much evidence we do or do not show, as we are aiming at different targets to start with.

I would however say that chess is a really bad example. In chess you have 2 sides starting with exactly equal setups and pieces. The sort of wargames we are playing are nothing like chess. If you want chess style balance then you would need to play Fed CA vs Fed CA with the same victory condition for both sides. As soon as you get 2 sides wth different victory conditions/weapons etc then you are into the realm of the subjective opinion on balance.

Of course there is also the fact that, unike FC, there is bucket loads of data demonstrating that chess is statistically unbalanced, white having an edge at most levels of play.

Quote:

I believe that all the evidence we have seen of plasma being balanced is based on one strategy and that is waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.

No more than the vast majority of other races and tactics. A federation player is often waiting for the other guy to make the mistake of allowing him a good photon volley. He isn't 'simply' waiting for the other guy to make a mistake though, he will or should be trying to do something to encourage it. If he does consistently win then the other guy must keep making a mistake.

The same with plasma, you don't 'just wait', you use certain tactics to put the other guy in a position such that he may respond in a way you can take advantage of.

Indeed, If the races/weapons are perfectly balanced then the loser should be the one be who made a mistake (or more mistakes). In other words, balance should result in all winners effectively 'waiting' for a tactical mistake from their opponent. You won't win simply by doing X, Y or Z, as unless the other guy has already made a mistake you won't be in a position to guarantee victory by anything you can do. If you can consistently beat someone of equal ability who didn't make a mistake then the setup clearly wasn't balanced, at least for those players, 2 other players of course could find that it is a perfectly balanced setup. The Fed CA vs D7 is a good example of a setup that can appear hopeless for the D7 with new players who don't appreciate the long range patience that the D7 is better sticking with, yet the same setup can appear balanced for even moderately experienced players.

IMO if balance results in a game being down to dice rolls then it is no longer worth playing, as it is a game of luck and not a wargame.

Indeed to go back to chesss, that is what chess is basically about - you are playing a game which is about 'waiting' for your opponent to make a mistake. There is no dice involved, the winner is the one that didn't make the mistake that cost him the game. Skill at chess is largely about seeing far enough ahead to have an edge in determining what is or is not a mistake. You try to shorten the wait time through your own play putting pressure and multple choices in front of the other guy, hoping he can't see far enough ahead and choose the correct response, and therefore makes a mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: