Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faster plasma?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kor wrote:
I still don't understand why the Romulans lost the PPT, it wasn't a huge thing in terms of games in that we only had a limited number, it doesn't slow down FC too much in that the plasma ballet is already a time consuming tactic anyway, and it helps force the enemy into wasting HETs and accelerations when they don't need to. All things that can only help the plasma races compete against others.

In a game where eveything is basically open and free to inspection a pseudo doesn't really fit.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kor wrote:
I still don't understand why the Romulans lost the PPT, it wasn't a huge thing in terms of games in that we only had a limited number, it doesn't slow down FC too much in that the plasma ballet is already a time consuming tactic anyway, and it helps force the enemy into wasting HETs and accelerations when they don't need to. All things that can only help the plasma races compete against others.

Player 1 says I launch a plasma S and places the token on the map. Player 2 leans over and looks at the Rom's SSD (since all info is open in FC) and notes the box for PPT is checked and not the fire box for the PL-S that has energy fully loaded. Player 2 ignores the the PPT.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to write this but, in Fed Com, storyelf is right about the PPT. However, it would be a good BoM addition.

And dirksj, quit being one of storyelf’s minions and post something original. Don’t you think if PPTs were allowed in a future BoM product that a way to keep the selection of a real PT vs a PPT secret could be devised until it is revealed to your opponent. Its not rocket science. Perhaps starship science though.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
I hate to write this but, in Fed Com, storyelf is right about the PPT. However, it would be a good BoM addition.

And dirksj, quit being one of storyelf’s minions and post something original. Don’t you think if PPTs were allowed in a future BoM product that a way to keep the selection of a real PT vs a PPT secret could be devised until it is revealed to your opponent. Its not rocket science. Perhaps starship science though.

Please refrain from personal attacks. I didn't read his post before I wrote mine. Kor's post is the last of page 10 and storeylf's is the top of 11. I didn't notice there was a page 11 when I posted.

Further, storeylf and I mostly disagree in this thread so your comment is not only a personal attack but also completely wrong. I am far more in agreement with mojo.

What happens in BoM is no concern of mine. Suddenly changing regular FC to a closed info system would not make any sense and thus the PPT cannot be in regular FC. This isn't a post about if plasmas are balanced in BoM.

You should also consider spelling storeylf's name right. It's the respectful thing to do.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, look at that. Thanks for the tip on storeylf's. Our group always pronounced it storyelf. Thats what happens when you read too fast and play too much AD&D. Now we will have to come up with a new pronounciation.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
Hah, look at that. Thanks for the tip on storeylf's. Our group always pronounced it storyelf. Thats what happens when you read too fast and play too much AD&D. Now we will have to come up with a new pronounciation.

Gee the talk of whole groups, Fame (or probably infamy) at last.

My spelling is terrible, so I've never bothered correcting anyone else, but always found the whole elf thing bizarre.

It's Storey-L-F, as in Surname, First initial, middle initial. You can just pronounce it 'Argumentative Tw*t' of course.

Now where's that minion of mine, I could murder a cuppa.....
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
... You can just pronounce it 'Argumentative Tw*t' of course...

TWIT??? Rolling Eyes

I too, must admit that I'm guilt of speed reading it as storyelf... but as some as it was poined out by dirk... I recognized it for surname, first intial, middle intial as I had a middle school chum whose surname was storey and our English teacher always listed eveyone that way... he was Storey, D.M.
I was Thomas, T.L.
and so on.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one strategy posted by plasma advocates other than the ballet is to fire enough plasma to force one ship away and then concentrate their ships against the remaining portion of the opponent's fleet. However even in the scenario where the opponent has 1 ship run away, the plasma fleet is still in big trouble. Here are the forward direct fire fleets from the 20 sample squadrons and the weapons of the remaining ships if the best ship ran away. I'm ignoring Hydrans since Stingers are hard to factor in, and I'm ignoring Orions since they could have anything in their weapon mounts.

Fed 2 NCA, CS
8 Photons, 14 PH1, 4 drones

Fed BCJ, 2 NCL
8 Photons, 12 PH1, 2 drones

Fed DN, 2 DW
6 Photons, 8 PH1, 2 drones

Klingon C7, D5W, F5W
6 Disrupters, 8 PH1, 4 drones

Klingon DWL, 2 D7
8 Disrupters, 6 PH1, 4 PH2, 4 drones

Kzinti DNH, 2 DW
4 Disrupters, 6 PH1, 8 drones

Kzinti NCC, 2 NCA
8 Disrupters, 8 PH1, 8 drones

Tholian NCA, 2 CA
8 Disrupterse, 12 PH1

Lyran DNH, 2DW
6 Disrupters, 4 PH1, 8 PH2, 4 ESG

Lyran CC, 2 NCA
8 Disrupters, 14 PH1, 4 ESG

Seltorian DNL, CA, CL
7 PC, 14 PH1, 4 SC

The forward direct fire weapons of the 5 sample tournament plasma fleets are:

Gorn BCH, BC, BDD
17 PH1

Gorn 2 CM, HDD
15 PH1

Rom FH, 2 SPH
14 PH1

Rom KRC, 2 KR
11 PH1

Rom 2 KE, BH, SN
14 PH1

It appears to me that even if the plasma strategy actually WORKS and chases away the largest opponent ship, that the remaining ships can generally speaking, still outshoot the plasma fleet. The exceptions being when there is a DN, and 2 DW and possibly the Klingon fleets. In these cases, the plasma merely reaches parity in firepower with the 2 weaker ships. Anytime there is roughly 3 equal ships in the fleet, the 2 remaining ships still have roughly 1.5-2 times the direct firepower of the entire plasma fleet.

The plasma fleets need to launch enough plasma to force 2 ships to run away and concentrate on the 3rd for this strategy to work. And if they tried that, then all 3 of the enemy ships would run away and the plasma fleet would quickly wind up with no plasma remaining.

What can I say? I was bored...
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What can I say? I was bored..

Laughing
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not compare the direct fire potential of a Direct Fire Fleet to a Plasma fleet (it's like comparing the direct fire potential of a CA to a Drone CA). It doesn't work, and is only indicative of what will happen if the Plasma fleet makes a mistake. The plasma fleet does not want to have that exchange. And if they do, they've likely made a greivous game losing mistake at some point prior.

Also, I disagree in so many ways with the 'easy tactic' to kill Plasma (as far as it's status as a 'trick'), I think the Plasma race played well will have a reasonable chance to be successful. But I dont' have time atm to write that post (all the reasons I think the way I do). Hopefully will tomorrow.
pauls
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo dojo,

If the plasam force had to use all its plasma to force one enemy ship to turn away your analysis would be sound but I doubt that is the case.

Assume the plasma player uses all his -F torps (as they are armed turn one then the exchange of fire starts to look even against the feds and advantaged elsewhere.

I do think allowing final arming of big torps turn 1 at the cost of batteries would make sense in the tournament. as folks have pointed out 4-5 turns is an average tourny length.

Re; sabot (speed 40) plasma I think that should be standard when fast drones and possibly ISC PPDs and Andro's are available.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauls wrote:
Mojo dojo,

If the plasam force had to use all its plasma to force one enemy ship to turn away your analysis would be sound but I doubt that is the case.

Assume the plasma player uses all his -F torps (as they are armed turn one then the exchange of fire starts to look even against the feds and advantaged elsewhere.

It depends on what force I have. I would be very happy if the Roms used 6 PL-F on me on turn 1. Depending on my force, I may either run away and return after the plasma dissipates, or I might just chew up the plasma with phasers. For example, the Lyran/Fed groups with 22 PH1 and a few PH3 can chew up almost 70 pts of plasma at range 1. And then they can still hit a Rom ship with 12 Photons/Disrupters. Or I can just run the target ship away and fight with the other 2. Remember, my above post shows the weapons remaining AFTER THE LARGEST SHIP RUNS AWAY.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Battle Group Acadiana called a quorom earlier today and motion was posed concerning the pronunciation of Storeylf. We all agreed to keep it as Storyelf. Cool

Also, could either pauls or phul please help us out by changing something we are getting you guys confused.

Mojo jojo and Savedfromwhat you two are okay for the time being as long as no one takes the screen name Jojo mojo or Savedfromsomething.Laughing Laughing Laughing

error corrected

Last edited by malleman on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Original question was Faster Plasma? NO! Hope I am not repeating something said earlier.

The reason is if you have faster Plasma,

I want faster Drones!

Another player will want phaser upgrades!

Another player Shield upgrade/refit! Shocked

Another more ADD ammunition! Rolling Eyes

Etc. I hope you see where I am going with this.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[moderator voice]

Please do not go around raising dead threads. Especially when you are not adding anything to the conversation. Especially when their are much more recent threads on the same subject. Especially when you have apparently not read the whole thread first.

Thank you.
[/moderator voice]

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: