Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tactics thread: Federation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Tactics thread: Federation Reply with quote

Hi.

We have threads for the Gorns and Kzintis - though both are somewhat quiet (one more than the other...) these days.

Still, it might be worth running threads for each of the fleets currently viable in the game system.

So, here's a chance to look at the United Federation of Planets.

With the inclusion of the Romulan Armada ships, the UFP has the largest representation in the game system - and borders on the homes of all of the other fleets around. So, it's feasible to run battles (or in the case of the Gorns, 'training exercises'?) against any other current force.

How would you run Star Fleet in this game? Would you go more for the 'war' classes, the pre-war ships, or a mixture of both? How differently would you plan for the Klingons or Kzintis compared to the Gorns or Romulans?

In short, how would you make your Star Fleet Armada fight?
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Judging by the response rate, perhaps you don't? Very Happy

Without having actually *played* the game yet (I only got hold of KA yesterday) I'd think it revolves around acheiving range 5, where overloaded photons go to 2+ to hit, and phaser-Is get triple RoF.

Oddly, o/l disruptors become less accurate than their standard mode, and only hit at short range on 4+.

Essentially, I'd think the Federation wants to exchange short-range alpha strikes, whist disruptor ships favour a long-range attritional sabre dance. Which reflects reality...er, I mean SFB/FC, pretty well.

Not having RA yet, I can't comment about plasmas.

The really nasty thing is fighting bases; ph-IVs get medium-range RoF 6 (gulp!) out to range 16, just beyond ph-I and photon range, while disruptors can bombard from range 18 in much greater safety.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Quote:

Judging by the response rate, perhaps you don't? Very Happy

Ditto the Gorns, it seems...
vejlin
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played 3 games so far, but at least for the small games I've played (1 or 2 minis per side) the feds really want to just close and fire those photons. A technical detail that helps them out a lot in practice is to try and get that firing arc overlap on the phaser-1s. Many fed ships like the CA for instance will get 50% more firepower from their phaser-1s if they manage to line up the target in that narrow overlap where hexes are in both arcs A and B simultaneously.

I'm really interested to see how having more ships changes the game though, I have a feeling it won't be as simple for the feds once you get involved in bigger battles.
pickledteak
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started a campaign game with a couple of friends, and I've been playing the Kzinti. The Feds are a mean customer, if they get close, but as the Kzin, throw enough drones in their way and chances are you get out of those photon arcs when they turn to let their phasers deal with the drones.

Other than that, I've played four other battles with Feds in the mix. I feel they're pretty balanced with the Klinks, despite the Disruptor's lower OL ACC.
vejlin
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think turning to avoid drones is in many cases an over reaction, and in many cases a poor choice for a fed player. With feds typically having a shield level of 3 or better on their front facets, each drone flight if simply allowed to hit it's target, will thus on average cause 1 point of damage. Hardly worth turning around for unless your ship has a lot of drones headed it's way.

The most thorough beating I've given the feds (as klingons) has been when the fed player was afraid of drones and maneuvered to avoid them. This additional maneuvering postponed photon torp short range for an extra turn, and gave me an additional shot with overloaded disruptors at medium range. Btw that counter-maneuvering included some rather inventive screening action by shuttles, forcing drone flights to attack shuttles rather than their intended target (when the drone flight ends it's move in the same hex as another 'element' it is forced to attack this 'element').
pickledteak
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most certainly is an over reaction, yet I sometimes bank on it. Smile

Were you using the shuttles in Boarding Pod mode or Suicide mode? I hadn't thought of it, but it sounds like it'd be fun to try to pull off.
vejlin
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from how I read it, you need to use the shuttles as transports in order to be able to control them yourself, since the suicide shuttles are classified as seekers and will be very limited in how you can move them.

The idea is to build a screen of shuttles and after drones are launched you can position them in a manner where drone flights are forced to end their move on top of a shuttle. While it works in theory it is harder to pull off than you'd think. Partly because seekers still have a tiny bit of maneuverability and partly because flights are moved in an alternating manner. But that isn't the main problem. The main problem with the tactic is that you have to close with the enemy at the rather slow speed of the shuttles. In short the advantages don't even begin to come close to the disadvantages.
pickledteak
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that as a viable defense for a Battlestation or other stationary or near stationary units.

I'm having a battle with my battlestaion, D7c and a D6 soon, against a Fed Battle fleet (DN, BC, CA, CA, PC, PC). I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

I horrible outgunned, so any help I can get I'll use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: