Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finer Points of the Paramount License

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Finer Points of the Paramount License Reply with quote

Dear SVC and Friends,

I know we have the general guidelines as to what and what cannot be used in the SFU from the ST TOS / TAS as per the Paramount license. However, where to draw the line is often confusing. Short of asking ADB to actually post the license, I will just then ask if the following may be used / mentioned explicitly (mainly in the context of my PBP Prime Directive Campaign):

1. The Eugenics Wars
2. Starfleet Academy being in San Francisco
3. The Guardian of Forever (Time Portal)
4. The planets Ekos and Zeon
5. The Nazification social experiment in Ekos
6. The triangular form of ribbons on Starfleet Dress Uniforms
7. Scottish Kilt worn with Starfleet Dress Uniforms
8. Duotronic Computers
9. Tribbles
10. Romulan Ale
11. Venus Drug
12. Memory Alpha
13. Jeffries Tubes

Thanks !

Gary
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is that anything that is in Star Trek, but not already in the Star Fleet Universe is not usable. No Catian, Borg, Ferengi, Cardassian, Guardian of Forever, etc.

Do note that some of your list is already in the SFU (e.g. Romulan Ale and Memory Alpha).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike !

But here is another example of confusion - why are Kzinti in the SFU, they were first presented in the TAS, but the Caitians are not, even though they also appeared in the TAS ?

However, I guess what you are also saying is that any element from the TOS/TAS that could be used in the SFU as per the Paramount license is already in the SFU - so we cannot really go mining for more ST material.

The problem here is, for PD enthusiasts, is that there may be some TOS/TAS references in the earlier and unavailable Captain's Logs, SFB Modules, etc., that do not necessarily make it into the PD books. Also, while I understand and sympathize with the realities of PD book production, it has been a rather long wait for PD Federation !

What would be helpful would be is a master list of races, objects, situations, etc., from the TOS/TAS that are allowed / present in the SFU.

Thanks !

Gary
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PD Federation will be out soon Domingos! They have just announced a date for publication of the D20M version!
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Ref your list, item # 3 .....

http://members.cox.net/garth.getgen/timelines.pdf

Enjoy.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, the Kzinti were in prior to licenses being issued. We can use the Kzinti, but there are some agreements for how they are used. We never, ever use Kzin, for example, and the appearance, society, and naming conventions are different from Niven's man-Kzin Wars Kzinti.

No new materials from TAS or TOS can be brought in. When in doubt, don't bring it in.

Creating a master list would delay PD Feds even longer. Crying or Very sad I wish I had gotten it out earlier, but other products took precedence. You have to realize that to work on PD Feds, both SVC and I have to simultaneously be free. When a product line like F&E is missing its core rulebook, then that must take precedence. Then we had Captain's Log, SFB Module R12 and FC: War and Peace which all piled up (not to mention five Communiques and five Hailing Frequencies).

There are some additional personal things which are now eating into my time, but if I don't do as my doctor orders, then my health will deteriorate and Bad Things Will Happen. She, my oncologist, and my cardiologist have pointed out that not taking a little time to exercise and to relax every day will end up with a dead Jean. I have a prescription to take an hour a day to relax and within that time to get 150 minutes of exercise a week. I've lost about 20% of my free time to accomplishing that goal, but I have to look at the long run which is in three years, I can work for ADB full time (except for my hour a day to not work).

SVC knows this. He knows I work as hard as I can, as long as I can. He's seen me work when I was in Amarillo and he's seen me work at Origins. He knows I give my all.

As noted, you can use Kzinti, Romulan ale, and Memory Alpha. I don't think you can use the Time Portal (Garth's story cannot legally be published by us). Tribbles are so ubiquitous that we can probably get away with showing them in art, but not dwelling on them. We cannot use the insignia the crew on the Enterprise wore (look closely at the art and you will find that it differs). The Eugenics War is specifically mentioned in PD (I know it is in PD20M, p. 21). Those I can establish without extensive research.

Jean
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remeber "tribbles" being refrenced in one FC scenario, I think it was the Intruder scenario in Communique.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all being said, there's really nothing from stopping you From playing PD the way you want to, with or without actual Star Trek tropes. It's just that you can't publicly release your game notes/conversions here on the site.

Heck, I've used PD for actual Star Trek gaming and I know I'm not the only one who has. Smile
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll try....

1. The Eugenics Wars: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no.

2. Starfleet Academy being in San Francisco: The fact that it's there, sure. I might note that Paramount insists that ADB use Star Fleet, not Starfleet.

3. The Guardian of Forever (Time Portal): I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no.

4. The planets Ekos and Zeon: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no.

5. The Nazification social experiment in Ekos: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no.

6. The triangular form of ribbons on Starfleet Dress Uniforms: We have our own ribbons, which are rectangular, and as such would never use the triangular ones.

7. Scottish Kilt worn with Starfleet Dress Uniforms: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no. Besides, I think it's stupid and won't use it.

8. Duotronic Computers: I do not recall the word "duotronic" being used in SFU, but we have used Super-Intelligent computers, which won't work.

9. Tribbles: Sure, but I wouldn't publish a whole adventure about them. Passing references, no problemo.

10. Romulan Ale: Sure, but I wouldn't publish a whole adventure about them.

11. Venus Drug: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU, so I'd say no.

12. Memory Alpha: I cannot recall having ever mentioned this in SFU (although someone said we did), so I'd say no.

13. Jeffries Tubes: Starships have such things and we've mentioned them many many times, but we never use that term.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any element from the TOS/TAS that could be used in the SFU as per the Paramount license is already in the SFU - so we cannot really go mining for more ST material. RIGHT

there's really nothing from stopping you From playing PD the way you want to, with or without actual Star Trek tropes. It's just that you can't publicly release your game notes/conversions here on the site RIGHT

Gary, the Kzinti were in prior to licenses being issued. We can use the Kzinti, but there are some agreements for how they are used. We never, ever use Kzin, for example, and the appearance, society, and naming conventions are different from Niven's man-Kzin Wars Kzinti. RIGHT

No new materials from TAS or TOS can be brought in. When in doubt, don't bring it in. RIGHT

The short answer is that anything that is in Star Trek, but not already in the Star Fleet Universe is not usable. No Catian, Borg, Ferengi, Cardassian, Guardian of Forever, etc. RIGHT
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Steve and Friends,

Whew ! Thanks for the clarifications. Now we can proceed on the straight and narrow path....

What is particularly interesting is the clarification that one should use the form "Star Fleet" as opposed to "Starfleet."

Ok another question - is the entirety of the material in the Star Fleet Technical Manual (FJ Schnaubelt) permissible for use in the SFU ?

Thanks !

Gary
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, the Franz J stuff is legal, but that doesn't mean we've used all of it, or would.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
2. Starfleet Academy being in San Francisco: The fact that it's there, sure. I might note that Paramount insists that ADB use Star Fleet, not Starfleet.

Personally, I think it's silly to say that both Starfleet HQ and Starfleet Academy are both in San Francisco. And I thought that, years ago, SVC said that he was using the Franz Joseph idea that Star Fleet HQ is on a starbase.

Regarding Academy, I would make note that in the modern military, there are several ways to become an officer. One can go to Academy at West Point or Annapolis, or go to any one of many semi-private military schools such as VMI, or go in via the ROTC program at most any public or many private colleges.

I've always felt that the main Academy in San Francisco is the one they send selected command-line candidates, perhaps the advanced school akin to the modern Army War College. I would think that they would have other facilities for engineering or medical cadets, etc, for those cadets who are not planning to follow a command-line career.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that most naval (surface warfare, command line) officers are mechanical engineers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: