Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Releases for Summer 2010!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is it about CL41SupFile that is SOOOOO worth the $5? I want to know what you think so I can make sure CL42SupFile is also "soooo worth it".

Hehe. Does anyone else think that Steve underestimates the thrill each FC fanatic gets when he/she gets a new product?

Steve, I have just bought my copy. I will let you know what parts of it I like best, in order to give some constructive feedback.
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the FRAX sub frigates. The ISC BBL was also interesting in spite of being SFB, as was some of the SFB tactical stuff. The Terrorwerks report from SPP I found fascinating, sort of like reading an after-action report from real combat. The designer's notes generally were interesting. I read the F&E scenario, even though I don't play F&E and didn't understand a lot of the nuances. The rejected term papers actually are good as negative examples, "how NOT to write a term paper".

In the "how NOT to write things" department, if an FC scenario requires a lot of editing work (but is worth publishing anyway) perhaps include the corrected version in the main Captain's Log and the original submission in the Supplemental, and let prospective authors play "spot the difference". I personally would find that interesting. [Might be a project for Jean's column].
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Some reasons why I think $5 is a steal Reply with quote

1. I was able to download the file directly to my computer. I didn't have to order it from my FLGS or off the ADB page and wait for it to be shipped. (And no shipping charges) The whole process (including registering on sjgames's site) took 10 minutes.

2. I really enjoy reading the "behind-the-scenes" about the various parts of CL. I specifically liked reading about the lower stress on this one because you had the two fiction chunks basically "done" already. I also like reading some of the banter between SVC and SPP. "What the heck is this nonsense?" Smile

3. Additional SSD's & Ship cards. (More Frax subs? Heck YES!) (And in COLOR!!)

4. The Terminal Papers. For me it is extremely useful information to read *why* a particular paper didn't pass muster. (In case I get a bee in my bonnet and try to submit something.) And there are several of them where I actually do learn something I didn't know before.

5. Perhaps my favorite read was the Origins 2010 saga, and I do mean the whole thing. The Terrorwerks blurb was pretty cool, too.

6. I am an SFU junkie, so I like to be able to get my hands on as much stuff as I can read.

7. I had no idea the large volume of battlegroups that are submitted. (My first CL and supplement in 15+ years). I like seeing what my fellow players are thinking when they are pitted against the enemy force and how they would play the match ups.

8.. I could go on, but you're probably already asleep. Laughing

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo Krellex's comments in most regards. The main thing for me is that it's just more stuff to read about SFU Smile

And Steve, there was something of mine in the issue, which is most likely why e23 included me in the 'authors' list. Mystery solved.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

looks likes iam going to have quite a buying list
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news about e23 and our Captain's Logs' Supplemental Files. These have been available through our storefront, but are also now available for download. Surprised

Captain's Log #38 Supplemental File:

Print: http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=5738-S&Category_Code=CLrecent

Download: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5738-S
This 28-page booklet includes interesting and useful information about the main Captain's Log #38 issue, as well as supplementary materials.

Included are:

* the designer notes for Captain's Log #38
* The 2008 Origins reports
* A fiction story showing the other side of the story in the main issue
* A short story about Hydrans in the Early Years
* Detailed after-action reports (for Captain's Log #37, SFB Module Omega Five, SFB Module X1R)
* Rejected papers (term papers, command notes, tactics notes; along with why they were rejected)
* More from Admiral Growler
* A tactics article on Magellanics
* And more Battlegroups try to Stop the Juggernaut.

~~

Captain's Log #39 Supplemental File:

Print: http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=5739-S&Category_Code=CLrecent

Download: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5739-S
This 32-page booklet includes interesting and useful information about the main Captain's Log #39 issue, as well as supplementary materials.

Included are:
* The designer notes for Captain's Log #39
* The 2009 Origins reports
* TerrorWerks gun-run report
* An article about Olivette Roche
* Detailed after-action reports (Captain's Log #38, SFB Module G3, SFB Module Y2)
* Rejected papers (term papers, command notes, tactics notes; along with why they were rejected)
* More Early Years weapons rules for Federation Commander
* More from Admiral Growler
* A lost article about an idea for a new edition of SFB (which was abandoned when people blew a fit)
* More battle groups for Divided Forces
* New SSDs for SFB (Regent Eagle, King Falcon)
* Early Years Ship Cards for Federation Commander (Hydran Grenadier, Romulan Warbird, Gorn Early Light Cruiser, Orion Pirate Raider).

~~

Captain's Log #40 Supplemental File:

Print: http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=5740-S&Category_Code=CLrecent

Download: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5740-S
This 32-page booklet includes interesting and useful information about the main Captain's Log #40 issue, as well as supplementary materials.

Included are:

* The designer notes for Captain's Log #40
* Detailed after-action reports for Module G3A and Captain's Log #39
* Sculptor's notes on the Juggernaut
* A new filksong
* Playtest reports by top groups showing how playtesting is done
* Another scenario for Federation Commander
* More Admiral Growler
* Notes about the changes to SFB rule S8.0
* More battle groups from the Extra-Galactic Threat
* SFB Victory at Origins 2004 tactics article by Paul Scott
* More F&E Q&A
* SFB SSD of the Commando variant of the Romulan version of the Klingon F5W
* Frax ships (Dreadnought, frigate, police corvette) for Federation Commander.

Enjoy! Very Happy

[Edited to fix a link. -- Jean]
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up War and Peace. It rocks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: