Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Game or Minis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Board Game or Minis? Reply with quote

I need to register for Strategicon. I need to categorize FC, and my best choice is as a MINIS game or BOARDGAME. Which should I choose?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it a boardgame. It uses a board and counters and minis are optional, unlike e.g. WH40K.

Good luck at Strategicon Smile
Lawn Dart
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choice you make will also determine in which space the convention will locate your game. Do you want your game to be surrounded by miniatures games or board games (which may or may not be war games).
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, It's defeinitly is a board game. Just one that uses minis Wink

Good luck Eric! Bring many more people into the SFU! Smile
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards board games. Wargames have a connotation of "complicated."

Here's to spreading the word!

And I am singing up for a Battlestations! game with designer Jeff Siadek. Them, plus the Looney Labs gamng, this is going to be a good con.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Eric! Don't forget to write it up for CL after the con.

If you write up something short, I'll put it up on FB for you. You might also ask SVC if he thinks it would make a good blog post.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean-

Will do as soon as I get registered. Should be early next week. I am definitely doing FC, and I am thinking of doing a PD as well, though I need a good adventure.

=--Eric
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric- I recently found out that one of the guys that works at the Game Empire store in Pasadena where i play FC is the also Strategicon staff who is in charge of the events scheduling and things for the con. I talked to him briefly about doing something with FC for the con and he also wondered how to categorize it (as we play it on a big hex map but use minis at the store when we play, so he was confused). It seems to fall into the board/war game category. He also said we would need to know what kind of scenario or format we would be using to know what to write in the description on the schedule list. I will try to talk to him more about it this week and let you know.
KJ
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys post the event format/schedule here when you have it finalized? I may be able to attend part of the con (Sat. afternoon/eve, Sunday anytime) and would like to participate if I'm able to make it.

Thanks!

PS: for minis, I have decently-sized Klingon and Kzin fleets, a large-ish Fed fleet (not fully painted), and small Lyran and Romulan contingents. I can also provide a 4'x 6' Geo-Hex starmat w/hexes for use during the con, if desired.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1a1dat wrote:
Eric- I recently found out that one of the guys that works at the Game Empire store in Pasadena where i play FC is the also Strategicon staff who is in charge of the events scheduling and things for the con. I talked to him briefly about doing something with FC for the con and he also wondered how to categorize it (as we play it on a big hex map but use minis at the store when we play, so he was confused). It seems to fall into the board/war game category. He also said we would need to know what kind of scenario or format we would be using to know what to write in the description on the schedule list. I will try to talk to him more about it this week and let you know.

That is excellent. I am really looking forward to meeting some of you guys from Games Empire. I wish we had such an involved group in Orange County. The hex map would be great to use, we will have to talk about that.

I will be registering tomorrow or Tuesday, so I am working out what will be played. I will have alternates for smaller/larger groups as well. Any ideas what you would like to see? I love suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: