Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPG modes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: IPG modes Reply with quote

Can a single IPG operate in both ionic wave and jamming modes in different impulses of the same turn?
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: IPG modes Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Can a single IPG operate in both ionic wave and jamming modes in different impulses of the same turn?

The way I read the rule now, no. But I do being confused about it the first time I read it too. So I may be wrong.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DSJ.

Any other contributions? (Looks meaningfully in the direction of M J West).
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I read it the same way as Dirk, but I agree it would be nice to have it clarified.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I'd like clarified is whether or not it can be used in jamming mode more than four times. You're allowed to use the power in the capacitor, but power can also be added at the time of firing. Can we therefore keep adding power as required so it can be used as often as wanted? The only stipulation I can see is that you can only use as much power as is in the capacitor, but there's nothing saying you can't add more power later in the turn at the time of firing....
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
The other thing I'd like clarified is whether or not it can be used in jamming mode more than four times. You're allowed to use the power in the capacitor, but power can also be added at the time of firing. Can we therefore keep adding power as required so it can be used as often as wanted? The only stipulation I can see is that you can only use as much power as is in the capacitor, but there's nothing saying you can't add more power later in the turn at the time of firing....

I'm pretty sure that is yes. Power can be added at any time I believe it says. I don't have my book in front of me now though.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(5R2a) says power can be added at any time. And reading (5R4) doesn't seem to contradict that. It says, "it may be used once per impulse, as long as there is power in the capacitor" but I can add power at any time to the capacitor. So I think yeah you can. Which seems counter-intuitive to me.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
(5R2a) says power can be added at any time. And reading (5R4) doesn't seem to contradict that. It says, "it may be used once per impulse, as long as there is power in the capacitor" but I can add power at any time to the capacitor. So I think yeah you can. Which seems counter-intuitive to me.

That struck me as strange too. I guess it just works out then that the "4 point capacitor" on the IPG is just there for the antidrone type firing and for what you can hold over a turn break.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
I guess it just works out then that the "4 point capacitor" on the IPG is just there for the antidrone type firing and for what you can hold over a turn break.

Plus it limits the amount of power that a given IPG can chuck out in a single impulse.
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

You are limited to four points of power per turn. In point of fact, the IPG capacitor probably should have been written to work like the ESG capacitor. But it wasn't.

So, no more than four points of power may pass through an IPG in any given turn. Yes, that will be added to the ever growing list ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are limited to four points of power per turn.

Thank heavens for that.

And about the mode-mixing thing?

(I'm entirely happy if IPGs *can't* mix modes in a turn, but I'd like to know for sure before one turns up in a game).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
And about the mode-mixing thing?

I am still working through that one.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Mike, please can you clarify about adding power - the rules do say that we can add power 'at any time'; does this include in the end-of-turn battery-filling step? That was one of the ideas hinted at above; can we add unused power at that point like we can to photon torps?
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
*sigh*

You are limited to four points of power per turn. In point of fact, the IPG capacitor probably should have been written to work like the ESG capacitor. But it wasn't.

So, no more than four points of power may pass through an IPG in any given turn. Yes, that will be added to the ever growing list ...

Further clarification around "can add at any time during the turn."

Lets say it starts with 4 in it beginning of a turn. I use the 4 (either mode, whatever) during the turn. Can I put 4 more back in during the same turn (or at end of turn) even though I can't use it again until next turn?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also Mike, please can you clarify about adding power - the rules do say that we can add power 'at any time'; does this include in the end-of-turn battery-filling step? That was one of the ideas hinted at above; can we add unused power at that point like we can to photon torps?

I'm pretty sure you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: