Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JJVerse Trek and SFU . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millenniumfalsehood
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: JJVerse Trek and SFU . . . Reply with quote

Did anyone else besides me see the NCL-style saucer in the Kelvin and her sister ships?

When I first saw that ship flying onto the screen, with it's two-deck structure with circular sections followed by a long rectangular tail, I thought for the briefest of seconds that it was the Kearsarge-class! Then when I saw the star dock with all those ships surrounding it, I could have sworn I saw the Kearsarge docked with the station.

After I got the DVD I found out that none of the ships in that scene had the same configuration as the NCL, but it was an interesting thought.

Makes me want to get one of the resin JJVerse Federation ships and do an NCL conversion.

"You're a loony."
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't draw the parallel when I saw it, but I can see what you are talking about.

The JJ-verse ships are certainly a new take on things, with some traditional ideas mixed-in. I'm still (still!) absorbing the new aesthetic, but it is slowly growing on me.

I *hated* Doug Drexler's NX-01 Enterprise for a long time. By the time of the third season, I had accepted it on its own merits. I grew to like it later, when Drexler started posting details and explanations on why it was the way it was. There really was a process and it was the best result of a difficult set of circumstances.
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing the movie and thinking that several ships appeared to take inspiration from ADB. I swear I saw something looking like a war destroyer running around there.

I too am not completely enamored with the new look of everything, but it is what it is, and if I try and view it without preconceptions, it all works.

I hope we get to see some more ships in the next movie. I hate when the art guys tease us with sot of other ships for just a few seconds, unfocused shots, and bad camera angles. I know I could go and buy the "art" book for the new movie, but there's something to be said about seeing it on the screen.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of the new looks for the ships either. I really liked the movie, however!

My main problems arr the nacelles and the bridge. I mean, the bridge looks more like a high end hair style shop than a bridge.

The other thing is the size of the Enterprise. it is really big. As large as the Enterprise-E. Did you see all those shuttle is the shuttle bay? Its more like DN size than a CA.

I thought the shuttles looked awesome. Great design. I also liked the new transporter effect. And the revised neck of the Klingon ship (hard to see on screen) is really cool and militaristic.

And Karl Urban rules as Dr. McCoy.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the movie, though there was a (serious) lack of consistency. And I liked the New ship designs, except for one thing. The Warp Nacells. The "Caps" should be red. They always have been, they always should be. The Blue makes it look like a CF without the Arrow saucer. And that is ugly.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enterprise-B had blue (not that it was "right" on that ship either; there's a lot wrong with the "B").
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Enterprise B waas an excelsior, not a constitution.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said it was. What does it not being a Constitution-class have to do with our discussion on the JJ-verse kitbash ships?
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelsior used Trans-Warp --- whether or not that would have been worked out by the time that Enterprise was designed ---
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
The other thing is the size of the Enterprise. it is really big. As large as the Enterprise-E. Did you see all those shuttle is the shuttle bay? Its more like DN size than a CA.

I always thought the reverse: that the old enterprise should have had more shuttles and/or a single larger bay. It never made sense to me that the bays were so small and individual and that it had so few shuttles.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
ericphillips wrote:

I always thought the reverse: that the old enterprise should have had more shuttles and/or a single larger bay. It never made sense to me that the bays were so small and individual and that it had so few shuttles.

I can agree with you, it should have had more boats (remember the Titanic). But I was just using it for comparison.

Also, the new Trek timeline seems to have a higher rate of fire on its weapons. More "Star Wars" like.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuttles aren't lifeboats in the SFU, although they can be used as such. They're fully capable of long range travel themselves, carrying cargo, doing scientific research with their sensors etc. You don't need all those capabilities in a lifeboat. For the most part, any evacuations would be done by "escape pods" (tiny little things with no real propulsion of their own) or transporter.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in TOS they were trying to emphasize the fact that transporter technology had been developed to such a dependable level that there wasn't much need for smaller shuttles.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Shuttles aren't lifeboats in the SFU, although they can be used as such.

From now on, I will better indicate when I am being humorous.

BTW: Neither are they in Trek. Remember the Menagerie?
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JJ movie brought me to this party. It was the first movie in years that I saw twice in the theatres. It got me excited about trek again (I had stopped following it in the late-TNG/DS9 era). It also inspired me to purchase and watch the TOS blu-rays. That in turn sparked a vague memory of an old Consimworld conversation about there being a simpler remake of SFB (I had never played SFB despite being a wargamer back to the late 70s).

I found FC and ADB on the internet, but I was hesitant to take the plunge. I then downloaded the excellent FC:First Missions freebie and gave it a try. It very quickly overcame my hesistance about taking the plunge (at least for FC:KB).

Then I found out my regular wargaming opponent was an ex-SFB player. He decided to give FC:KB a try with me. The next thing I know we are trying the game out with a bunch of other folks we play games with here in the St. Louis area and the game becomes the new top dog for us. Within nine months I bought everything except the minis and the pre-#37 Captain's Logs (well, actually, I did buy the first three squadron boxes).

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: