Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preferred Voice Chat Option for Tournament Games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Preferred voice or chat option for FCOL games?
AIM
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
 33%  [ 5 ]
Yahoo Instant Messenger
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
xFire
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
TeamSpeak
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Other (please specify in a post)
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

dreamingbadger
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Other is MSN Messneger
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set up a Skype account for myself, if anyone would like to contact me and give it a try. It seems to work great, is totally free (for skype-to-skype calls), and doesn't require a server. My Skype Name ID is: gar1138skype

Probably better PM me first, so I'll be sure to be on-line with Skype (and I'll have to be at home, I can't use it at work, so it will have to be in the evening).

If we decide to go with another option, that's fine, I just thought I would try Skype and get the ball rolling. Thanks,

Garrett
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a FCOL game last light using Skype and it seemed to work perfectly. It felt one step closer to a face-to-face game, and seemed to go a little faster. I was also impressed with the quality of the call, it seemed just like a regular phone call. It also helped a lot with making sure everyone had moved for each impulse.

Garrett
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing about Skype. Several folks have asked if it handles conference calls, and it does (info can be found here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/conference-calls/ ). This would be very useful for spectators to be able to listen in on games. I have not actually tried this option out yet, so if a few people would like to test it with me, that would be great. Thanks,

Garrett
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Skype was great. I felt the game was a little faster too. With conference we could have multiplayer games in there as well. Again, it needs no server, which is a big plus for me. I am changing my vote to Skype.

Well, apparantly I cannot change my vote. so take one away from Xfire and put one more on Skype.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_billbo wrote:
Not sure, I do have a Teamspeak server I can start back up it people want to use it.

I don't have a Ventrillo server available...

Can we test it. Sound quality was top notch on the Skype.
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
mojo_billbo wrote:
Not sure, I do have a Teamspeak server I can start back up it people want to use it.

I don't have a Ventrillo server available...

Can we test it. Sound quality was top notch on the Skype.

yeah, it's teamspeak 2, not 3, and the address is: ts2.clan-fate.net:8767

give it a try.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Other is None.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might make a suggestion.

There are people who still don't have the fastest internet connection. To require them to use one of the VOIP options might well lead to a lower participation. I would suggest that your default might be "none", but that if all parties are agreeable, then X protocol is preferred.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, I think that suggestion has been made. Unless both parties agree to voice, then it should be a non-voice chat game.

Having used such chat systems for years, I know there are those who do not use chat. Even on Xbox Live, where everything has integrated chat, many choose not to use it.

There may be many reasons not to use voice chat, not only bandwidth issues. Some people may be personally uncomfortable using it with strangers. Thats fine.

We still don't have a default choice of client for voice chat. I am simply loading them all in, so whatever you like, I'll probably have it. Tomorrow night Pinecone, Gar1138 and I are going to finish a three way battle using the chat.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Eric, thanks for clearing that up for me. I must have read something wrong further upstream.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
Jean, I think that suggestion has been made. Unless both parties agree to voice, then it should be a non-voice chat game.

Having used such chat systems for years, I know there are those who do not use chat. Even on Xbox Live, where everything has integrated chat, many choose not to use it.

There may be many reasons not to use voice chat, not only bandwidth issues. Some people may be personally uncomfortable using it with strangers. Thats fine.

We still don't have a default choice of client for voice chat. I am simply loading them all in, so whatever you like, I'll probably have it. Tomorrow night Pinecone, Gar1138 and I are going to finish a three way battle using the chat.

Or maybe not.

I'm sorry for the inconvinience, but my parents are hesitant to let me use this program. I might get thwm to allow me, if both of you promise not to use any cus words, not that I think you would. If I get the promises of both of you, we can probably work things out, so long as my parents can listen in for a wihle to see that things are going smoothly.

Thanks for understanding guys. Sad
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If players want to use voice chat for their FCOL tournament games, that's fine, if one or both don't, that's fine too. It's not a requirement.

And I do hope that any participants will be proper gentlemen (and ladies if applicable) and refrain from cuss words, trash talk, or saying "revenge is a dish best eaten cold" in Klingonese. Smile
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes without question that everyone act respectful, whether using voice chat, type chat, or whatever (including absolutely no expletives, derogatory remarks, etc.). I have never experienced otherwise with all the games I have played here. I think that FC (and certainly SFB) players are some of the most intelligent (and more mature) gamers around.

We are all here to have fun with the game we love, meet others with similar interests, and have a great time. I think it is an important point that Pinecone brought up (especially with voice chat starting to be used), and I'm totally fine with anyone and everyone listening in to any/all the games I'm involved with.

Thanks,

Garrett
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, guys. Got skype working. Looking forward to tonight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: