Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternate ISC squadron

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Alternate ISC squadron Reply with quote

Just finished a tournament Squadron battle between the ISC (Star Cruiser, Strike Cruiser, Destroyer) and the Klingons (2 D7's and a D5WL). The Klingons pulled out a tight victory, but I was very satisfied with the ISC squadron's performance.

Comparing CA-CS-DD to CS-CS-FF-FF you're giving up a PPD, 2 phaser-1's and 2 phaser-3's, and a pair of offensive Plas-F's... but in return you're getting a pair of Plas-S's and a bunch more "defensive" Plasma-F launchers.

The Plas-S's made a big difference. I was able to tag my opponent with full-power S-torps in the second and third turns and with fast-load F's in the fourth and fifth. Since my opponent figured out early on that closing in and outmaneuvering me could keep him relatively safe from the PPD's, I got a lot of use out of both the S launchers and the 'one per ship-sized-target per turn" F tubes to protect my flanks.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my PBEM game with Eric Phillips, I've blown up an NCL with "defensive" plasma (and an offensive Type-S). I think Eric may have not realised that I had plasma available to launch, and I'm sure Eric will not make that mistake twice. Still, the plasma in combination with the PPDs is IMO a deadly one-two punch. I think it would also be useful against Andromedans who try to displace right up into your myopic zone.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than against Andros or a race that needs to get to PB range such as a Hydran fusion fleet, I'd still take 2 CS and 2 FF. That 4th PPD is just too useful. Since the first 3 PPDs plus phasers are most likely going to take down an opposing shield, the damage from the 4th PPD is likely going to be all internal gravy. Plus, the CA, CS, DD fleet is only 427 pts, resulting in some serious wastage.

Using the 2CS, 2 FF fleet against the Klingon DWL+2D7 fleet, I'd blast one of them with PPDs and 20 PH1 at range 8-15 depending on how the Klingon approaches, and launch 4 PL-F from the FF against a 2nd ship once the Klingons get close. That 2nd ship will either need to turn away, or eat 40-80 pts of plasma. Either option favors the ISC player. I think my 4 ships at this point should be able to take care of the damaged remainder of the Klingon fleet, especially once the ISC gets the rear plasma into play. The Klingons don't have enough drones to pose a serious threat to the ISC considering how many PH1 and PH-3 are in the fleet plus the rear plasma if things get desperate.
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against the heavy drone users the 2CS squadron would give better FA point defense, but the CA/CS squadron has a bigger tool kit... and the extra 4 'defensive' F-torps and 3 vs. 2 'defensive' launches per turn can be awful useful.
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Other strategies Reply with quote

What happened was that there was a pulsar on the map. My opponent was using Andromedan ships and had the advantage. what i did was that i fired all bearing plasmas at him and Forced him to go closer to the pulsar just before it pulsed. In the end, i won the game. Very Happy
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbykibble wrote:

Quote:
What happened was that there was a pulsar on the map. My opponent was using Andromedan ships and had the advantage. what i did was that i fired all bearing plasmas at him and Forced him to go closer to the pulsar just before it pulsed. In the end, i won the game.

Which underscores a point about playng Andros. have an exit strategy. Your heavy weapons have a shorter range than most, and after you deliver your alpha strike you may need to get clear lest the enemy fill up your panels and start a cascade. A disdev is great for getting away from plasma. So is having enough power in the batteries to run speed 32 until the plasma evaporates.

This is one reason why Dave P (Against whom I have played) likes his alternate ISC squadron. PPds can rip a cruiser sized ship to pieces in short order, so you have to hang fairly close to a PPD armed ship, if you can. S Torps give his opponent something to worry about at short range. I've played against him when he's had both a standard ISC squadron and his preferred alternate squadron and he's made a believer out of me.

I haven't played against Dave's alternate ISC squadron as an Andro, but if I did I might seriously consider using a disdev on an inbound S Torp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: