Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament change idea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Tournament change idea Reply with quote

I never liked just giving victory points for point differences between tournament fleets. I'm not convinced the free points are enough.

My thought is that instead of free VP, the fleet with more points simply starts the game with shield damage equal to 3 times the difference in points. So a 445 pt fleet vs a 435 pt fleet would have to take 30 shield boxes damage before the fight starts. The owner of the higher point fleet can spread the damage however he/she chooses amongst all the ships in the fleet.

Andros would be a little different if they were the higher point fleet since their panels clear so easily. Instead, they will take 1 hull box damage per point difference that cannot be repaired turn 1. So an Andro fleet that's 10 pts higher would take 10 hull boxes damage before the fight starts, and those 10 boxes cannot be repaired turn 1. Again, he can choose whichever ships he wants to take the hull damage.

Thoughts?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that that would just lead to trouble. Someone could purposely take a bunch of small ships to leave the opponent with no shields.

If you don't think the VP difference is enough, then max out the number of BPV you are allowed to use.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only do that to a limited extent since fleets must be between 425-450 pts and there must be 3-4 ships.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it sounds intriguing... I can see a whole new series of Command NOtes espousing various vviews on the most advantageous way to allocate the requisite damage... I think we should leave well enough alone for the first tourney.

None of us have ever tried this before, so lets keep it as vanilla as possible. If the first tourney works well, then we can discuss modifying the format for future versions.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed ScoutDad. No time for this time. I am ready to rumble.

As for the idea, I don't like having pre-damage (unless in a scenario). However, I wouldn't mind giving advantages to smaller ships, like a legendary officer, or extra free HET, or higher repair, or something, based on point differential. But it would take a lot of thinking, and the current system seems to work okay.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to the original post:
This is an interesting post to me, since I've always looked at the VP system and thought that it favored the smaller fleet (in points). The system as it stands now puts the onus on the larger fleet to inflict more damage (and not in boxes, but in milestones) than the smaller fleet. And since, even in a 425 vs. 450 engagement, you're only talking about a 5.5% difference in BPV. In cases where the match up is only a few points difference, and you're talking about a difference in the sub percentile, in a tourney setting it forces the 'larger' fleet to be the aggressor. Regardless of if in that match up that fleet is suited to being the aggressive one.

Unless I'm not looking at the right set of rules for the tourney?
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phul wrote:
...I've always looked at the VP system and thought that it favored the smaller fleet (in points). The system as it stands now puts the onus on the larger fleet to inflict more damage (and not in boxes, but in milestones) than the smaller fleet. ...

But a fleet with a larger BPV should have more firepower, thus balancing the fact they have to do more damage to get points.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
phul wrote:
...I've always looked at the VP system and thought that it favored the smaller fleet (in points). The system as it stands now puts the onus on the larger fleet to inflict more damage (and not in boxes, but in milestones) than the smaller fleet. ...

But a fleet with a larger BPV should have more firepower, thus balancing the fact they have to do more damage to get points.

The difference in firepower between two fleets that are 0-5% different in BPV is nearly a non-point in outcome in my experience (Not looking to argue the value of various weapons vs. each other, just assuming all weapon potentials and play being balanced).

To expand on my eariler point, in a 449 v 450 bpv engagement, the onus is on the 450 fleet to inflict whatever the 449 fleet does PLUS 1 milestone greater (ie; if the 449 inflics internals on all 450 fleet ships, the 450 fleet must inflict internals on all of the 449, and in addition critically on one of them in addition). I would argue that whatever a 450 fleet could accomplish, a 449 fleet would be every bit as able to accomplish (but cheaper, and so, in a tourney would win).

To my thinking, further hurting the larger fleet's odds by forcing shield damage is ludicris. In a 'tie' game where points are needed to determine victor, I'd take the slightly smaller fleet (in BPV) almost every time (again, not looking to argue the value of one fleet vs. another; various fleet choices might affect my choice.. duh!).
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phul:

So you are saying that in a 449 (fleet A) to 450 (fleet B) battle, fleet A starts with 1 VP at the beginning because of point differences. If each got one internal on all three opponents ships, the score would be:

Fleet A: 46 vp
Fleet B: 45 vp

You are right. Even with one point difference in fleet size, fleet B needs to get one level better than the lower BPV fleet.

Interesting.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why do most people seem to pick fleets as close to the point limit as possible? Why don't we consistently see fleets at 425-430 instead of 440-450 for the most part?

The answer is obviously that points matter. The bigger fleet is more capable in general than the smaller fleet. A 25 pt difference in fleets can downgrade a CW/CL to a DD or a CA to a CL. That's a significant difference.

Yes it's possible to game the system if you knew exactly the point total of the opposing fleet beforehand and then select a 1 pt smaller fleet, but since tournament fleets are picked sight unseen, that shouldn't be possible.

I would happily play a 450 pt fleet vs a 425 pt fleet sight unseen even if I have to inflict more damage.
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:

His post directly above mine.

I'm not saying that that you (the figurative) should aim for the min point value. I am suggesting that aiming mid range will put you below the vast majority of fleets (say... aim for 435-440) with a lower bar to reach for (forcing your opponent to achieve more). Also, no, 10 BPV is IMO not a significant difference in fleet performance. Also assuming average rolls, I would say that a 2-3% (5.56% being the absolute max) difference in BPV is not going to net you significant additional damage.

edit addition:
Also, I stand by my point that the VP system favors the lower BPV ship/fleet, and given that, penalizing the larger BPV fleet is not apropriate.

edit addition addition (lol, sorry. It's late.):
mojo jojo wrote:

I would happily play a 450 pt fleet vs a 425 pt fleet sight unseen even if I have to inflict more damage.

This made me laugh, thank you. There's just entirely too many match-ups that can make a 5% difference unimportant.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, under the tournament rules if one player scored 45 points and one player scored 46 points, it's probably a draw. At least at Origins, I think you need to score at least 30 points per hour played so if one player does not score at least 120 points over the four hours, the game is scored as a draw, not a win. You will really need to go for ship kills to gain victory.

Edit: This is wrong, there must be a 30 point difference minimum, and the winner must have scored at least 150 points.

This point is of interest to me because I'm running a tournament right now, but I'm not yet convinced that it's a problem. If, after a significant number of tournament matches are played, we see a definite bias towards smaller squadrons, then I'll gather the evidence and send it to SVC and the Federation Commander staff for evaluation.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking some more, if for example we have a 425-point squadron facing off against a 450 point squadron, the smaller squadron scores a 25 point bonus straight off. That means, to win, he must score at least 125 more points, and keep the opponent from scoring within 30 points of his own score. I don't see how he can score 125 points by merely damaging ships, he must at least cripple a dreadnought/heavy battlecruiser or blow up a small one, or cripple two cruisers.

25 points is the difference between a CA and a CW, or a DW and a frigate. While the CA (or NCA) may not have significantly more firepower than the CW/CL, it IS harder to kill (the increased stuffing and larger warp engines does make a difference in my experience) so it's harder to score points on. In the comparison between DW and FF the difference is even more dramatic (100 points vs around 75).
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phul wrote:
I'm not saying that that you (the figurative) should aim for the min point value. I am suggesting that aiming mid range will put you below the vast majority of fleets (say... aim for 435-440) with a lower bar to reach for (forcing your opponent to achieve more). Also, no, 10 BPV is IMO not a significant difference in fleet performance. Also assuming average rolls, I would say that a 2-3% (5.56% being the absolute max) difference in BPV is not going to net you significant additional damage.

edit addition:
Also, I stand by my point that the VP system favors the lower BPV ship/fleet, and given that, penalizing the larger BPV fleet is not apropriate.

2-3% is not an insignificant difference. It's the difference between say a Klingon fleet of DWL, D7C, D7 at 446 pts and DWL, D7, D6 at 434 pts. That's a pretty hefty difference (upgrading 3 PH2 to 5 PH1!)

According to your philosophy, the D6 fleet should be the better tournament fleet than the D7C fleet. Somehow, I think most players would choose the D7C fleet in an actual tournament...

phul wrote:

This made me laugh, thank you. There's just entirely too many match-ups that can make a 5% difference unimportant.

Yes, if you cherry pick the matchup. However, I'm assuming a tournament setup where both sides have to choose their fleet sight unseen. You DO NOT get to see my 450 pt fleet before you choose your 425 pt fleet. In that situation, the 450 pt fleet should win more often than the 425 pt fleet since it's simply a better fleet in general.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've played a lot of games under the previous tourney rules (where there was no 30 pt requirement) and to echo what some else said, the smaller fleet has a distinct advantage. It starts with points on the door, and on average is giving up less points per damage/cripple/kill. Indeed just a fortnight ago in a tourney style game (Selt vs Klink) my fleet was 3 points less than the other guy, All the ships ended damaged for 10%, so I was 0.3 ahead, plus the 3 difference = 3.3 pts victory.

Whilst I can't speak for others, I do not try and get as close to the 450 as possible, I would prefer to get as close to 425 as reasonably possible, not that I'm overly bothered if I end up at 450. The maths of choosing 3-4 ships can make it hard to get close to 425, some races are harder than others , and you just have to go for what looks like a good squadron that fits in the point bracket.

To go with that other thread we were debating, I'd far rather take 2 Mohawks + 2 Mongols + 1 stinger (432) rather than 2 Mohawks + 2 Rangers (444). Not only do I actually prefer the mongols it also works out a further 12 cheaper, and therefore more likely to give me a points advantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: