Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plans for PDF ship packs on e23.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Plans for PDF ship packs on e23. Reply with quote

We will, within a week, have the six packs of 12 middle years ships from Briefing #2 on e23.

After that, the plan for ship cards on e23 is basically this...

Pick an empire. (All card packs would be single-empire, since -- I admit I am guessing -- players want them that way.) We then select 12 ships from that empire (not really worried about what product they are in). This would include at least one "bonus" ship and at least one communique ship (if there are any for that empire) and at least one captain's Log ship (if there are any from that empire) at least one or two entirely new ships (perhaps selected by player votes). We probably would not include BoM ships (separate packs for those). We'd then release said pack of 12 for $9.95. The goal would be a pack a week, perhaps working our way up to two packs a week if all goes well (i.e. no piracy and good sales).

Does anyone have any comments?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found printing the Communiquie ships a bit of a pain, I like a nice double sided laminated card, and can never get the 2 sides to print squarely, usually due to the text on the same page - " so and so requested this," type text.

Will these PDFs be nicely laid out to make getting nicely squared double sided prints easier?

Do these Communique/CapLog ships become officially released ships for tourneys? (Stares longingly at Kzinti drone frigate).
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest laying out the cards two to a 8.5 x 11 sheet, so it can be printed and cut (FedEx kinkos has great table cutters). As well, don't make one page a squadron version next to a fleet version, put the squadron and fleet version in their own sections (or toggle them on a PDF layer). Most people don't mix scales, so this will save paper.

Also, the Empire thing is ok, though I would like to be able to battle two ships of different Empires on my first pack. Have you considered releasing them according to FC product (Klingon Border, Romulan Border, Klingon Attack... etc.)?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got Hydran Attack today, and I would like to see the boosters that never came out on PDF. And good luck with the whole piracy thing Smile .

Do NOT put Orions in those PDFs Laughing
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone here knows that we are a small bunch who love the game, and if someone pirates it, it is game over. You are not only stealing money from ADB, but the game from the people who love it.

So, if you love it and want it to continue, support it.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I think everyone here knows that we are a small bunch who love the game, and if someone pirates it, it is game over. You are not only stealing money from ADB, but the game from the people who love it.

So, if you love it and want it to continue, support it.

I have no doubt that it will be pirated. Everything is. By the same token I have no doubt that FC in general is ALREADY pirated. I'll wager someone has scanned everything in and has it up somewhere. You can't really stop them. You just have to move on and ignore it unless you are the RIAA.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with that, Dirk. If you just ignore the problem, it truly never *will* get better. ADB is active in shutting down pirate site copies of their products. I see this as a very good thing.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellex wrote:
I don't agree with that, Dirk. If you just ignore the problem, it truly never *will* get better. ADB is active in shutting down pirate site copies of their products. I see this as a very good thing.

Obvious pirate sites that just link to easy downloads, sure. But if something is up on a torrent...you're never getting rid of it. That's just the nature of torrents.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are YOU the pirate? Wink

Just Joking. I'd say though that there are enough decent folks out there who would pay for it even if they could get it for free. I know I would.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
So are YOU the pirate? Wink

Just Joking. I'd say though that there are enough decent folks out there who would pay for it even if they could get it for free. I know I would.

Given how much money I have spent on FC products I would be a really terrible pirate hahaha.

I personally don't believe in any pirating, not even MP3's, but at the same time I have a rather pessimistic view on how much it really can be controlled. Some site in some country in the middle of nowhere starts hosting a file and...really what can you do? Not every country has signed on to multinational copyright agreements and even if they have enforcing them would be hell...
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things ...

Pinecone, thanks for the heads up. The duplicate topic is now deleted. That gets you a pass on your Orion Pirate joke. On the legacy board, that could earn you time in the agonizer booth! Shocked Today the setting is on The Red Hot Chili Peppers playing the bagpipes as they perform "The Galaxy's Greatest Polkas". This is set to alternate with John Denver playing bagpipes and performing "Galaxy-Famous Songs of Rush". Twisted Evil

We actively pursue pirates and we will get sites shut down under the digital copyright laws. That includes torrent sites, who have always followed through on our request to remove protected material. No site wants the fines associated with hosting illegally provided material. If you see such a site, please email SVC with the information and we'll follow through and you will get a GIA commendation if you are the first person to see it and report it. Smile

Now, what do you folks think of the concept SVC posted? What sorts of ship packs would you like to see? Empire based? Function based (all the tugs in one pack, for example)?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, sorry Jean. I take it back. Orions would be great for the PDFs! Who would want to see just them get left out? It just wouldn't be fair! Not that their way of doing things is fair to begin with...

*Ducks to avoid possible oncoming Webmom Agumented Range Enhanced cast iron frying pan*
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
Now, what do you folks think of the concept SVC posted? What sorts of ship packs would you like to see? Empire based? Function based (all the tugs in one pack, for example)?

If it's an entirely new class of ship, like the tugs example, I would like that to be in one pack across all races.

If it's just extra ships, variants and differing options on ships we already have, then I would like to see that empire based.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dirk. It should be situational.

If it is introducing a new class (tug, LTT, commando ship, etc), then it should be one class across all empires. There are currently 14 empires to consider, but not all classes will apply to all empires, and Orions and Andromedans will usually be pretty easy to "skip" for such things.

If it is established ships, then it should be for a single empire. Let's see. A full lineup for any given empire is: DNH, DNL, DN, BC, CC, CA, CF, NCA, CW, CL, DW, DD, FF, Pol. That's 14 ships right there. Kill the variant DNs, and it gives you a pretty full lineup, plus the two standard "bonus" cards in the CC and CF. (Obviously, there are variations of the list for each empire, but that works pretty well.)

Also, Feds, Hydrans, and Romulans can easily be broken into two (or maybe three for the Romulans), too. The Feds have alternative designs, plasma variants, and such, and can probably fill out two by themselves. The Hydrans easily split into fusion and hellbore. The Romulans get their Eagles, Kestrels, and Hawks. The Eagles and Kestrels can probably be thrown together, but the Hawks should stand alone.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
I've found printing the Communiquie ships a bit of a pain, I like a nice double sided laminated card, and can never get the 2 sides to print squarely, usually due to the text on the same page - " so and so requested this," type text.

'elf:
Response to this quote posted in a separate thread:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: