Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using one counter for Point-of-Turn and Point-of-Slip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Using one counter for Point-of-Turn and Point-of-Slip Reply with quote

There was a discussion in the "What Ships Do You Want" thread about gamers wanting full sets of turn and slip counters. This is a method of using just one counter for both purposes.

I saw a rudimentary description someone wrote a long time ago about how they did this in their group. Our group tinkered with it and came up with what follows. It is not completely original with us, but I think we got it into a form that is succinct and easy to understand.

POT/POS One Marker Method

Summary: This is an efficient way to use only one counter to show both Point-Of-Turn and Point-Of-Slip. Use only the POT counter. The number of hexes between the POT counter and the ship counts towards the turn mode just as in the normal procedure. The ship’s slip mode can be determined by looking to see if the POT counter is in the same hexrow as the ship. If the POT counter is in the same hexrow, the slip mode has been fulfilled and the ship can slip. If the POT counter is not in the same hexrow, the slip mode has not been fulfilled and the ship cannot slip.

Procedure: When a ship makes a sideslip, leave its Point-Of-Turn counter where it is. This leaves the POT counter in a different hexrow to the ship. When the POT counter is in a different hexrow than its ship, the ship needs to move forward to fulfill its slip mode.

When the ship moves forward, move the POT counter “obliquely back” and into the same hexrow as its ship. A ship can sideslip if it is in the same hexrow as its POT counter. The number of hexes between a ship and its POT counter will be the number of hexes moved that count toward fulfilling the turn mode for that ship.

Deceleration: When decelerating, move the POT counter directly backwards one hex, but keep it in the same hexrow as the ship. A deceleration counts as one hex toward the turn mode, but has no influence on the slip mode.

Sticky Situation: If a ship is Stopped or if it decelerates immediately after making a turn, its next move must be forward (because the turn mode and the slip mode are both zero). The first move made in this situation must be forward because slip mode cannot be fulfilled with decelerations. Place the POT counter upside-down under the ship counter. Having the POT counter in the same hex as the ship counter indicates the ship has not fulfilled any movement toward its turn mode. Placing the POT counter upside-down indicates the ship has not fulfilled its slip mode.

Alternate Method: With the “sticky situation” in mind, one might wonder, “Why not simply flip the POT counter upside-down to indicate a ship’s slip mode has not been fulfilled instead of moving it obliquely back?” This can be done instead of moving the POT counter and works just as well. Some players may find that they prefer flipping the POT counter to moving it obliquely back.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really elegant solution. Thank you for this. I will suggest it to my group.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. Me likeee Smile
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be printed in Captain's Log.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay! I'll submit it.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.

Last edited by Mike on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mewnnneee

I don't see this as something to publish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: