Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Babysitting your Energy Module

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Babysitting your Energy Module Reply with quote

My first shot at tactics presentation:
Don't recall seeing this tactic presented before, if so, my apologies to the original author.

Many seem to view Andromedan Energy Modules (EM) as an Expendable item, in extreme cases I can see that, but if you don't, here is my idea on how to keep it alive and take maximum advantage of carrying it.

Once a mothership takes hits on Power Absorbers to a point it needs to shift it to the EM, then needs to drop it into space to expel the energy.
If situation allows it, wait as close to end of turn as possible, transport it to a position in direction your moving (if you need it further than 5 hexes, option to Displace it out of hanger is also available).
Once the EM is in space, you will be moving toward it, at Repair function stage of the turn it will dissipate the 4 points of energy per panel (nothing I see shows it'll be disrupted if you displace it, so doing that during last direct fire phase won't prevent it from dissipating energy).
Now that its panels are less full (or even empty), the first impulse will bring you even or maybe a little ahead of the EM, during the Other Phase, you transport it back into the hanger (with available space to put more energy into).

Guess you could call it the Energy Module YoYo --- this will give more options with your PDs, the situation each impulse can affect your decisions on whether you can be successful with this.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disruption only affects weapons fire, not other functions, so the EM will dissipate power in the Repair Phase.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Disruption only affects weapons fire, not other functions, so the EM will dissipate power in the Repair Phase.

Yeah, I always saw it as a passive function; the EM does not actually have to do anything. In any case, if a ship can fire defensive weapons when disrupted - an 'active' fuction, it should be abe to perform a 'passive' function like just 'cooling down' - radiating energy into space.

[Edit] PS Yes, I love the tactic. I will use it hopefully next time I play - thanks! Definitely submit it!

Last edited by Kang on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a whole host of conditionals (speed, available transporters, available energy, available displacement devices, enemy position, etc.). That said, the idea is sound and I recommend that you formally submit it. I know it will get at least one excellent grade ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: