Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC0004 - ISC versus Andromedan (mojo v terryoc)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander: Play By Email!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how they got there:

Last edited by Scoutdad on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the results:

Last edited by Scoutdad on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Andromedans are in big trouble at this point. However, depending on how the damage turns out, there may be a way to pull a tribble out of the hat. I am not yet ready to concede defeat to the Galactics.

Andromedan captain mutters to self, "When you attack a galaxy called the Milky Way you have to expect their ships to be cheese." Laughing
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathetic.

The ISC completely missed BOTH of the Cobras! At Range 8!

Edit: I concede the game. The Intruder is a mission kill at this point, and since the ISC have only suffered inconsequential damage I cannot inflict any damage on the ISC force. I maneuvered badly, allowing the ISC to get a good shot, on a rear panel bank no less. I really ****** the tribble.

I also probably should have started with more power in batteries. I was power-starved on Turn #2.

I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes here: I think the two CS and one CL squadron is a horribly difficult match-up for the Andromedans, especially at Fleet Scale. The Andros are outgunned at range and up close, and I don't see a way that they could have gained leverage against the ISC squadron.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISC being extremely merciful, will gladly accept a surrender. Please strike your colors and we will beam aboard missionaries to show you the ways of peace. Laughing

I think 2 PPDs at fleet scale is pretty overpowering against any foe. I don't claim to be a better player, but I simply brought a bigger hammer to the fight. I think fleet scale ISC should have a limit of 1 PPD per 2 ships to be comparable to squadron scale.

In any case, I had a lot of fun and learned some things about the strengths and weaknesses of Andros. Thanks to Terry for being a very patient opponent and to Tony for being a nice friendly moderator being able to run the game despite 70 hour work weeks!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are both quite welcome.
I enjoyed this game and even though a few errors crept in, they were easy to compensate for and redo.

Terry and Gary were both quite responsive to rebid requests and even with long work weeks, this game went fairly quickly.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is aimed at terry mainly (as the andro), how did you find the PBEM version of the game compared to a normal game?

My first PBEM game felt it played different - the plotted movement really felt like it neutrered move initiative, but having Klinks vs Feds and hence a range advantage meant I didn't find the plotted moves to bad, as I felt that there was sufficient leeway to allow for the issue (at least up to the point to our game got to).

Now that I'm playing a python against a Fed, I'm really feeling the lack of instant reaction that makes the normal game much more a game of manouver, especially at closer ranges. Trying to strike a balance between plotting moves and breaking to see what is going on isn't easy (and a desire to not hand responsibility to the mod to play for me).
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

If you don't mind a little constructive criticism, I think you made the right decision with the range 15 shot since you want to play the long game and wear away the ISC slowly. However, I think you should've declared Evasive Maneuvers with the shot (at least with the Cobras). That would've left me with 2 tough choices at that point. Either try and pop a Cobra at range 15, or hold fire and try and get closer and accept the possibility of not getting a shot off on turn 2. As Tony can attest, a lot of my break conditions revolved around the possibility of you declaring EM.

I don't think this made the difference in our game since the ISC are just simply monsters, but it would've been helpful to the Andros.

Gary
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what my original plan was. I might not have had enough power to do everything I wanted to do and still evade, or something. After the re-start I planned to beam the Cobras back aboard and displace away, something I couldn't do under EM.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
I think 2 PPDs at fleet scale is pretty overpowering against any foe. I don't claim to be a better player, but I simply brought a bigger hammer to the fight. I think fleet scale ISC should have a limit of 1 PPD per 2 ships to be comparable to squadron scale.

It wasn't a factor in this fight, but is there a special fleet scale rule for the rear firing plasma?

On the face of it they appear to be a noticeable bonus for the ISC. Your launchers halve but not your fire rate(?), you can still throw out the same number of offensive F's for a couple of turns as at squadron scale. At squadron scale an andro can displace behind you (the 3 ships you had) and if its just the plasma he has to deal with can take it on the chin (bruising but thats all), at fleet scale he is taking massive internal damage.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
It wasn't a factor in this fight, but is there a special fleet scale rule for the rear firing plasma?

On the face of it they appear to be a noticeable bonus for the ISC. Your launchers halve but not your fire rate(?), you can still throw out the same number of offensive F's for a couple of turns as at squadron scale. At squadron scale an andro can displace behind you (the 3 ships you had) and if its just the plasma he has to deal with can take it on the chin (bruising but thats all), at fleet scale he is taking massive internal damage.

As far as I know, ISC rear plasma function in fleet scale just like squadron scale except for fewer launchers.

It's kinda hard to displace behind the ISC anyway. They need to be exactly 11 hexes away during direct fire at the end of an impulse or else it's likely the ISC will get a good PPD volley on them. Also, unless the Cobras are onboard, the ISC could simply hunt down the Cobras. If they are onboard, a good chunk of Andro firepower is unavailable. Even if they displace successfully, the one impulse of disruption would make it hard for them to take advantage of the situation.

Andros get a significant benefit from fleet scale as well. In squadron scale, INTs get 3 TRHs. In fleet scale, INTs get 2 TRHs which should result in significantly higher average damage relative to the defenders.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another part of the difficulty Terry faced, IIRC occuried just before my work load put the game on hold for 3 or 4 weeks.

In order to simplify his Turn 2 movement plot, Terry copied his Turn 1 plot and changed the specific hexes he was moving into. What he forgot to do; however, was delete the previously issued weapons firing comditions.
The continued inclusion of these orders resulted in teh sub-optimal firign of 1/2 of his Tractor-Repulsors for little or no effect. This forced him to turn off to rearm the fired TR's and Gary was able to give chase and mission kill the INT.

Had all the TRs been fired simultaneously and at a slightly closer range, the outcome may well have been different.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Another part of the difficulty Terry faced, IIRC occuried just before my work load put the game on hold for 3 or 4 weeks.

In order to simplify his Turn 2 movement plot, Terry copied his Turn 1 plot and changed the specific hexes he was moving into. What he forgot to do; however, was delete the previously issued weapons firing comditions.
The continued inclusion of these orders resulted in teh sub-optimal firign of 1/2 of his Tractor-Repulsors for little or no effect. This forced him to turn off to rearm the fired TR's and Gary was able to give chase and mission kill the INT.

Had all the TRs been fired simultaneously and at a slightly closer range, the outcome may well have been different.

Yep, if the Andro had been able to centerline me at range 11-12, he could've really mangled a CS. He could've declared displacement or EM at the same time. I would've probably been forced to pop a Cobra at that range. Trading a Cobra for a lot of damage to a CS wouldn't be too bad for the Andro. However if he miscalculates the range and/or doesn't centerline me, the exchange probably still favors me. Also at that range, I might have been able to chase down the other Cobra for some plasma action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander: Play By Email! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: