Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking weapon guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Seeking weapon guidance Reply with quote

I know that seeking weapons lose guidance if they go beyond 25 hexes from the controlling ship.

However is there a rule anywhere that explains when and if seeking weapons (I'm thinking drones specifically, but general SW answers will be accepted) can be launched and/or guided at targets where there is no line of sight?

What needs to be able to 'see' what, and at what time? The drone needs to see the target? The controlling unit? Both? All the time, or just at launch? And what about launching seekers at something where no clear line of sight exists? Think a BATS on the wrong side of the planet......

I seem to remember a thread about this, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. Any ideas, please, anyone?
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that plasma torps had a 25 hex restriction; I could be wrong, but they are supposed to be self-guiding. After all, it'd kinda be useless to have a Plasma R with a 30 hex range and a 25 hex guidance restriction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule you are looking for is (6A1e). Blockage of LoS will prevent launch, but not guidance.

And, yes, plasma is self-guiding. That said, it still is under the restrictions of (6A1e) for launch. Also, plasma is under the 25 hex restrictions, but that only really matters for launch. (As it is self-guiding, it will always be within the range restriction if it is launched within the range restriction.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Rock Hudson
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick extra question on this one, if the seeking weapon is 22 hexes away and the target is cloaked would it lose tracking?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the rule (5P3c) specifically relates the +4 range to only direct-fire weapons, I am going to say no. It is the actual, not adjusted range, for the maximum distance for a seeking weapon.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After launch, range restrictions only apply between controlling ship and seeker, not between seeker and target, nor controller and target. There is another thread in this somewhere from not to long ago.

Hence cloaking does nothing if the seeker is already out, if the drone is within 25 hexes of the controller ship it will carry on seeking no matter how far the target is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: