Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGM meets STL Fed Comm
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, another alternative it to let you know when we plan to head to St. Louis. You might be able to join us there???
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minis or counters? Very Happy

Looks like a great games room (is it your own, or at the FLGS?) and a blast of a gaming session. Way to go!
Warhammer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to swing a trip sometime to STL. I'm just too darn busy all the time with the kids. But... I've got the 8 year old excited about picking up a Klingon ship later this week so we can paint it. Working on a Fed CA with him tonight.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Minis or counters? Very Happy

Looks like a great games room (is it your own, or at the FLGS?) and a blast of a gaming session. Way to go!

Dan, given the choice - we use minis.

For this session - due to the numebr of games going on at once; we were forced to use the small scale hexes and 1/2" counters.

As for the location, that is my game room. I'm not sure that our not-so FLGS has that much space dedicated to gaming, especially it it's not a GW or 'cliky game. 8^(
Chewy
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my AAR for my game.

Unfortunately, I only got to play one game Saturday as I was trying to be polite and give everyone a chance to play. However, I had a great time and I got to meet alot of new people and make new friends, which is what gaming is really all about. Tony and the Murfreesboro gang, thanks for having us. Tony your an awesome host. I know we were all crammed into Tony's game room like sardines some of the time but I believe it was a great time for all and Tony told us that after we left at 16:00 to head back to STL, that many stayed and played well into the evening.

My game was against Lee Wood. Lee is an awesome guy and in one afternoon I can honestly say, we have already become great friends and are trading email correspondences. I'm fairly new to FC and Lee hadn't played in quite a long time so neither of us were ultra competitive. Lee decided to play the Klingons and went with 4 ships, a pair of E4 Light Frigates and pair of F5 Frigates for a total fleet cost of 288 pts. I had never played Hydrans so I decided to give them a try. My fleet consisted of a Lord Bishop Command Cruiser without fighters and a Dragoon Heavy Cruiser without fighters for a total fleet cost of 298 pts.

In the first turn Lee choose speed 24 and I choose speed 16. He alpha-striked from range 9 to 10 hexes and turned away. I shot with all my phasers that could bare scoring decent hits and I fired half my hellbores hitting 3 out of 4 hellbores which scored a few internals on a F5. Turn two we kept the same speeds. I was able to outmaneuver Lee (remember, he hadn't played in a very long time) and I was able to make him pay by hitting with 3 of 4 overloaded hellbores at range 4 and all of my phasers. My Ph-Gs did a great job of keeping his drones off me. By the end of the second turn one F5 was almost space junk with only a couple of internals left and no weapons and the other had suffered many internals. My Lord Bishop had almost no shields left on its number 1, and 2, but had suffered no internals and the Dragoon Hvy Cruiser had not been scratched. At that point Lee surrendered and we called the game.

It was obvious after the first turn that Lee's small Klingon ships were not going to be able to take much punishment nor inflict much punishment, which made it fairly easy for me overwhelm his smaller ships with Hydran superior fire power and better shields. In all fairness to Lee, he hadn't played FC in well over a year and he did get more tactically savvy as the game progressed but his fleet handicapped him from the beginning. Lee was a gentleman and a very classy guy. We both cut up, made fun of ourselves and had a wonderful time getting to know each other as our competitive spirits battled on the game board.

I can honestly say, I like playing with hellbores. They take some getting use to but they are an interesting weapon that changes alot of dynamics once one begins to learn how to use them.

Hopefully, we can all meet up again soon,

Rick
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro this thread but what do the blue and white poker chips (by the ship cards in the photo of Jim D) stand for?

In our group, we use white chips as turn mode counters, blue as slip counters. Each ship starts the game with a single green chip to represent its HET bonus (which is surrendered as the bonus is used) and a red one is placed on any ship doing Erratic Maneuvers.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Energy!

Each chip represents it's value in energy tokens.
If you use the good, 11.8 gram chips; it makes a resounding THUNK! when you pay for that added point of accel, or a HET, or a Phaser, etc.

and it's great fun to go "All In" for that alpha strike! Wink
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a real difference between the cheapo light-grade poker chips and the 'proper' weapons-grade ones.

However, somehow our 'THUNK' 'Turning now!' lacks a certain lustre when compared with your 'THUNK' 'Alpha Strike!' Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: