Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveller Prime Directive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcabril
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Traveller Prime Directive? Reply with quote

I see that in the latest Hailing Frequencies - there is a reference to TRAVELLER version of Prime Directive!
Since Traveller is one of my all time favorite rpgs - is there any word on release data or which version of Traveller it is based on?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the latest Mongoose Traveller.
Work is proceeding but we cannot predict a release date.
Christmas is possible but no promises.
Rick
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the Traveller PD front - last I heard it had been delayed due to switching over to the latest version, but not a peep since.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have told Jean to make it happen, sooner rather than later.
Rick
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know we were all concerned about your and Jean's health issues and I sincerely hope you are both over the worst of that now.
Having said that, it would be very nice to see this project finished after what, 6 or 7 years development? I for one have been waiting for Traveller PD to be available since the very first announcements.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the delay either, but 85% of that delay was waiting for a new version of the rules from the publisher (and for it to stabilize). For the rest of it, ADB takes the blame for having too few people chasing too many projects.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

What's the latest on PD: Traveller ?

Many thanks !
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Yay! PD Traveller is Go! Reply with quote

Dear ADB / Mongoose Folks,

Many many thanks for pushing the development of PD Traveller Smile Best news in ages Smile
Albiegamer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yay! PD Traveller is Go! Reply with quote

domingojs23 wrote:
Dear ADB / Mongoose Folks,
Many many thanks for pushing the development of PD Traveller Smile Best news in ages Smile
You are most welcome.
As a lonnngg time fan of Traveller and having run MGT1 for hundreds of hours at various conventions over the years, I am exited to have been handled the task of brining Prime Directive to all my fellow Travellers.
Albiegamer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks have been asking in other topics questions on the upcoming Traveller Prime Directive so, here
Albiegamer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
May I enquire a bit more about the proposed Prime Directive for Traveller book?
Is it potentially slated for some time soon? How is it going to be supported? What sort of thing should we be looking forward to?
well, as the author of the TPD books I can speak to some things.

Listed as I think of them:
1) The TPD core book is currently being Playtested as the material is written.
2) All four books currently out for GURPS/d20M are planned for TPD (Core, Federation, Klingons, Romulans).
3) All the background, Histories, species, etc in each of these books for the Star Fleet Universe (SFU) will be in the TPD editions
4) We (ADB) are shooting for releasing the PDF of the core book in Feb 2022 with print approx 2 months later (if things go according to plan)
5) Right now the core book will have over 30 playable species from across at least 10 empires. The SFU is broken down by Empire/Species/Race ex: Federation/Human/African.
6) Besides the small adjustments to the core MGT2 careers so the fit the SFU, the core book will have careers for at least Starfleet, Starfleet Marines, Federation Mercant Marines, the Galactic Intelligence Agency (GIA), and the Federation Marshals Service.

I probably forgot a few things but those are the high points.

Last edited by Albiegamer on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Albiegamer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I am starting to look forward to a Traveller: Prime Directive game, even though I am not especially a Star Trek fan. Star Fleet Battles has been around almost as long as Traveller has and, while I never understood the legal basis of the IP (vs Paramounts official Star Trek), I actually think there would still be a big fan base that would prefer having a simple 2D6 based system over the more narrative 2D20 system used in the official Star Trek game. I think it would be a great addition.

The Star Fleet Universe (SFU), as defined by the games Star Fleet Battles, Federation & Empire, Federation Commader, etc., was based on the Original ST series along with the Animated series. Basically anything not already used from those series at the time Paramount granted the license to ADB are off limits - as well as anything from any other series, movies, etc. From the starting point of the two original series the SFU created its own history, timeline, technologies, etc. (As well as adding new empires and races).

Overall, with the SFUs area being over 1,700 times the size of the Traveller default Charted Space, having over 15 Empires and 30 species, honestly this is not your grandmas Star Trek! Shocked

ADBs license is perpetual lacking a requirement to be renewed every X number of years.

Each official Star Trek RPG is really an alternate version of the canon ST universe (of which there are actually two thanks to the Kepler timeline).

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by Albiegamer on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Albiegamer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the skills I worked up for TPD. For some of the skills we just clarified use of the skill with example tasks:
Quote:
SKILLS WITH EMPIRE
Some skill specialties have a designation of EMPIRE Ex: Advocate Civil (Empire). Indicates that this specialty has enough variation between empires that each requires its own separate training. When you receive the very first level in a skill identified this way, the specialty you pick is automatically for your home empire. All additional levels received in that skill may be applied for any empire even if you do not have a Level 1 in the skill for your home empire.

For example, Eric is from the Federation and has Advocate 0. He receives his first level of Advocate and chooses Advocate (Trade). This automatically becomes Advocate (Trade/Federation). When Eric receives a second level of Advocate, he chooses Advocate (Military), which can now be for any empire he chooses. In this case he chooses Advocate (Military/Klingon)

There is a DM-1 applied to any skill check for an empire other than your own, unless you have at least one level for that specific empire. This does not stack with the DM-3 for being untrained in a skill.

For example, Eric has Advocate 0 and is from the Romulan Empire. He does not suffer the DM-3 for being untrained in the skill. He needs to mediate a matter involving Federation Trade Law. Eric would suffer the DM-1 for the type of law not being for his own empire. If Erick had Advocate (Trade/Romulan) 1 he would still suffer the DM-1 for Federation Trade Law. IF Eric had Advocate Trade (Federation) then the DM-1 would not apply no matter what his skill level was with Advocate Trade (Romulan) was.

EMPIRES:
Unless otherwise stated, the list of applicable Empires is:
Federation
Klingon
Romulan
Kzinti
Gorn
Tholian
Hydran
Andromedan
Lyran
WYN Cluster
Inter-Stellar Concordium (ISC)
Seltorian
Jindarian
Vudar
Carnivon
Paravian
Note: Orians are added to this list for technological skills such as Gunner, Engineer.

SKILL LIST:
Admin
Advocate
- Civil (Empire)
- Military (Empire)
- Trade (Empire)
Animals
- Handling
- Veterinary
- Training
Art
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Astrogation
Athletics
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Broker
Carouse
Diplomat
Drive
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Electronics
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Engineer
- Impulse Drive (Empire)
- Life Support
- Power
- Warp Drive (Empire)
Espionage
Explosives
Flyer
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Gambler
Gunner
- Beams (Empire)
- Missiles (Empire)
- Ortillery (Empire)
Gun Combat
- Archaic
- Energy
- Slug
Heavy Weapons
- Artillery
- Portable
- Vehicle
History
- BY EMPIRE (see above)
Investigate
Jack-of-all-Trades
Language
- At least BY EMPIRE (see above)
Leadership
Mechanic
Medic
Melee
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Navigation
Persuade
Pilot
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Profession
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Recon
Science
- Astronomy
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Cosmology
- Economics
- Genetics
- Linguistics
- Mathematics
- Philosophy
- Physics
- Planetology
- Psionicology
- Psycology
- Robotics
- Sophontology
- Xenology
Seafarer
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Stealth
Steward
Streetwise
Survival
Tactics
- (SAME AS MGT2)
Vacc Suit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: