Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donjebruche Campaign: In Character
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Marcus says,"So what is your profession exactly? And what was in the box we failed to deliver?"


"Oi, that thing... that burial urn I took from the Kai-laek on Otrai. If Gamega is right, that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever done...! It wasn't just any urn... it was their freaking "prophet"!! Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. Seriously. And now I find out that just looking at it nets a death sentence. Doh!

"I pulled several terms as an engineer on a major freight line. I always had kind of a side line picking up artifacts wherever we stopped. You know... I figured I could retire early if I switched to full time treasure hunting, but that hasn't really worked out for me.... I'd have been better off working another 20 boring years in the engine room of an ore freighter!"
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skexis
Lieutenant SG


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skexis says "hey. What's up." He looks at the still and hookah. "what do we have back here?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skexis wrote:
Skexis says "hey. What's up." He looks at the still and hookah. "what do we have back here?"


The Slirdarian says, "just a little something to take the edge off of the agonizer booth sessions. Can we get you anything...?" Then he takes a long drag on the Hookah. After that... the haze from it seems to expand through the entire room. Everything looks shiney and fuzzy and dull somehow. He flips a switch and some exotic music begins to play-- it sounds vaguely Arabian and yet still alien.
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
(The ship has basted off.)

@Jack--

Muankaal has his communications officer signal the Orion Light Raider. "Well, Captain Zorg. It's been such a pleasure doing business with you, I wanted discuss our next exchange. What's it going to be this time...? UIM modules...? Type IV Drones...? Maybe photon torpedoes?" Very subtly, Muankaal signals to you that you're clear to go.


[OOC]Well, here was go again![/OOC]

Captain Jack starts into the remote access procedures for the OLR
database computer.

[OOC] Pirates aren't dumb, these systems aren't standard by design and are either highly encrypted / protected or completely devoid of anything useful... (NO EVIDENCE THAT WAY!) Let's roll away![/OOC]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
paul wrote:
Marcus says,"So what is your profession exactly? And what was in the box we failed to deliver?"


"Oi, that thing... that burial urn I took from the Kai-laek on Otrai. If Gamega is right, that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever done...! It wasn't just any urn... it was their freaking "prophet"!! Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. Seriously. And now I find out that just looking at it nets a death sentence. Doh!

"I pulled several terms as an engineer on a major freight line. I always had kind of a side line picking up artifacts wherever we stopped. You know... I figured I could retire early if I switched to full time treasure hunting, but that hasn't really worked out for me.... I'd have been better off working another 20 boring years in the engine room of an ore freighter!"
Marcus says,"Perhaps you shoulds tick around and join our motley crew."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_billbo wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:
(The ship has basted off.)

@Jack--

Muankaal has his communications officer signal the Orion Light Raider. "Well, Captain Zorg. It's been such a pleasure doing business with you, I wanted discuss our next exchange. What's it going to be this time...? UIM modules...? Type IV Drones...? Maybe photon torpedoes?" Very subtly, Muankaal signals to you that you're clear to go.


[OOC]Well, here was go again![/OOC]

Captain Jack starts into the remote access procedures for the OLR
database computer.

[OOC] Pirates aren't dumb, these systems aren't standard by design and are either highly encrypted / protected or completely devoid of anything useful... (NO EVIDENCE THAT WAY!) Let's roll away![/OOC]


[Okay... there are no rules or canonical material that directly cover this that I know of-- though there was some hacking-like activity in at least one movie not covered by our license. Therefore you get... GM ruling.]

Zorg answers Maunkaal... "Actually, I am looking for an alternative distributor for drone munitions. Scatter packs are in vogue, are they not?" He then laughs uproariously at his own joke. You can see now that Captain Zorg is on his bridge surrounded by three Orion Animal Women. They look on him admiringly and laugh with him.

[I dunno. I'm thinking -3 on a hacking roll just to get a decent connection. Just getting in is not risky except on critical failures. A failure does not preclude additional tries... BUT your time is limited. You get one roll per "beat" of conversation more or less. You don't know how long you have... though ten rolls altogether for everything you do is about all that you expect under the circumstances.]

Okay... you got in on the second try... just barely!

Sweat begins to bead on your forehead slightly.

You are familiar enough with computers and Orion culture not to be totally lost. You can make out three routes to the data. You can examine one or more paths for "traps".... It is possible that one of them is not well covered-- though if you botch your detection roll, something that looks clear may not actually be so. If they are all well-guarded or if you just want to try to neutralize the first one you come across... you can do that, too. [This is a stylized view of computer hacking... more like what is depicted in the movie Weird Science than the real thing. You can roll the dice and go with what I've layed out here... or you can attempt to exercise some creativity; your call!]

So... there are passages A, B, and C. You can examine one or more of them for traps, choose a passage and breeze through in total disregard for potential traps, or you can try something else. [I will sketch this out on my end and determine how much time you have secretly... also... your detection rolls will actually be secret this time. You gotta actually trust your GM, horrors!] It occurs to me that you can dedicate more than one search roll to a passage if you want to be double sure of what I'm telling you!
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:
paul wrote:
Marcus says,"So what is your profession exactly? And what was in the box we failed to deliver?"


"Oi, that thing... that burial urn I took from the Kai-laek on Otrai. If Gamega is right, that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever done...! It wasn't just any urn... it was their freaking "prophet"!! Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. Seriously. And now I find out that just looking at it nets a death sentence. Doh!

"I pulled several terms as an engineer on a major freight line. I always had kind of a side line picking up artifacts wherever we stopped. You know... I figured I could retire early if I switched to full time treasure hunting, but that hasn't really worked out for me.... I'd have been better off working another 20 boring years in the engine room of an ore freighter!"
Marcus says,"Perhaps you should stick around and join our motley crew."


"It's safer with you than getting stuck somewhere that the Kai-laek can get me...! I'd rather tag along with you guys if that's possible...."

You guys play several hands of poker, and... whoops! Looks like you've lost 200 credits to your new "employer." Maybe it was just luck, though. You can up the ante, go double or nothing, or quit.

"It's okay," he says, "you'll make it all back from me with your body guard fees!"
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an irritated look,"yeah about that...I still work for Mookinal...the captain of thios ship...but I willl offer my protection let's say 900 credits a month...that is noot including any expenses that might incur from "unforseen" circumstances...plusI think Zack and Sexios will expect you to pull your weight as a team member." He tosses the cards in the middle of the table and says,"deal again...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:

So... there are passages A, B, and C. You can examine one or more of them for traps, choose a passage and breeze through in total disregard for potential traps, or you can try something else. [I will sketch this out on my end and determine how much time you have secretly... also... your detection rolls will actually be secret this time. You gotta actually trust your GM, horrors!] It occurs to me that you can dedicate more than one search roll to a passage if you want to be double sure of what I'm telling you!


Ah yes...
Let's let lady luck determine which path... D12 / 4 = 2.0!
(1d12)/4=
B it is!

First thing to do, stealth scan data path B, looking for traps and obvious intrusion points... (too obvious typically is a trap in an Orion system.)

Second thing to do is check for access logging and audit logging on that data path.

Third, once Captain Jack determines it's not being logged or logging/auditing that he can get around, look for the data, and determine if it's legit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_billbo wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:

So... there are passages A, B, and C. You can examine one or more of them for traps, choose a passage and breeze through in total disregard for potential traps, or you can try something else. [I will sketch this out on my end and determine how much time you have secretly... also... your detection rolls will actually be secret this time. You gotta actually trust your GM, horrors!] It occurs to me that you can dedicate more than one search roll to a passage if you want to be double sure of what I'm telling you!


Ah yes...
Let's let lady luck determine which path... D12 / 4 = 2.0!
(1d12)/4=
B it is!

First thing to do, stealth scan data path B, looking for traps and obvious intrusion points... (too obvious typically is a trap in an Orion system.)

Second thing to do is check for access logging and audit logging on that data path.

Third, once Captain Jack determines it's not being logged or logging/auditing that he can get around, look for the data, and determine if it's legit.


[That's two *secret* Hacking rolls... at -1 due to general toughness of the system. GM rolls behind the screen and puts on his best poker face.]

Path B...

You see no traps here.

You do see an innocuous looking logging mechanism, though... it probably just goes to a massive file that nobody reads and that gets wiped once a week. A computer programming roll (not hacking) will allow you to obfuscate it enough to cover your tracks.

Captain Zorg and Muankaal hash out the details of a munitions contract... while Zorg makes a point to conspicuously display his access to the Orion Slave Women. They'd almost be distracting to you if the hacking you were doing wasn't so engrossing!
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
With an irritated look,"yeah about that...I still work for Mookinal...the captain of thios ship...but I willl offer my protection let's say 900 credits a month...that is noot including any expenses that might incur from "unforseen" circumstances...plusI think Zack and Sexios will expect you to pull your weight as a team member." He tosses the cards in the middle of the table and says,"deal again...."


"900... wah! I might be able to scrape that up. Could you maybe look into getting me some kind of gig in the engine room here...? That'd make it a lot easier for me. Otherwise, I'd have to pay you out of artifact finds...."

Whoops... you're out another 200 credits.

Shawn offers one last round-- double or nothing. If he wins... he's covered for his first month of body guard fees. If he loses, then you don't owe him the 400 credits.
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:

You do see an innocuous looking logging mechanism, though... it probably just goes to a massive file that nobody reads and that gets wiped once a week. A computer programming roll (not hacking) will allow you to obfuscate it enough to cover your tracks.

Captain Zorg and Muankaal hash out the details of a munitions contract... while Zorg makes a point to conspicuously display his access to the Orion Slave Women. They'd almost be distracting to you if the hacking you were doing wasn't so engrossing!


ok, time for some Perl-Fu and make a short script to obfuscate the log file while seeing what information is there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_billbo wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:

You do see an innocuous looking logging mechanism, though... it probably just goes to a massive file that nobody reads and that gets wiped once a week. A computer programming roll (not hacking) will allow you to obfuscate it enough to cover your tracks.

Captain Zorg and Muankaal hash out the details of a munitions contract... while Zorg makes a point to conspicuously display his access to the Orion Slave Women. They'd almost be distracting to you if the hacking you were doing wasn't so engrossing!


ok, time for some Perl-Fu and make a short script to obfuscate the log file while seeing what information is there.


Okay... another secret roll... this time against programming. [GM rolls dice behind screen.] Okay that is your third action. If it was successful, you will have covered your tracks in advance of getting the data out through this path. You don't know if it was successful or not, though a Computer Operation role should tell you-- it'd eat up time that you may not have, though.

Muankaal has diverted the conversation with Zorg away from drones and over to Orion Animal Women. He apologizes for mixing business with pleasure, but keeps carrying on about how gorgeous they are. Zorg seems to be eating it up for now.
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:

Okay... another secret roll... this time against programming. [GM rolls dice behind screen.] Okay that is your third action. If it was successful, you will have covered your tracks in advance of getting the data out through this path. You don't know if it was successful or not, though a Computer Operation role should tell you-- it'd eat up time that you may not have, though.

Muankaal has diverted the conversation with Zorg away from drones and over to Orion Animal Women. He apologizes for mixing business with pleasure, but keeps carrying on about how gorgeous they are. Zorg seems to be eating it up for now.


Time to get this on a roll, time to grab what I can from the database and get out...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_billbo wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:

Okay... another secret roll... this time against programming. [GM rolls dice behind screen.] Okay that is your third action. If it was successful, you will have covered your tracks in advance of getting the data out through this path. You don't know if it was successful or not, though a Computer Operation role should tell you-- it'd eat up time that you may not have, though.

Muankaal has diverted the conversation with Zorg away from drones and over to Orion Animal Women. He apologizes for mixing business with pleasure, but keeps carrying on about how gorgeous they are. Zorg seems to be eating it up for now.


Time to get this on a roll, time to grab what I can from the database and get out...


GM rolls dice behind the screen...

GM does a double take...


GM lifts the screen and explains:

The rolls are 6, 7, and 4... each on 3d6.

The first: is Hacking at a -1 penalty. You triggered a trap that you originally failed to detect... but you at least know what's happened so that you can react.

The second: is Computer Operations at no penalty.You are getting the data that Muankaal requested. It'll just take another "beat" or two.

The third: is a Security roll at a minus one penalty... to determine if you notice a counter-hack during the download that was triggered by the trap. You rolled a critical success for this.

GM Ruling: You pull down the data with no other issues. You counter the attempted intrusion into Muankaals system and feed them data that mostly looks like what they're fishing for, but that is actually deceptively and dangerously bogus.

[OOC: Egads, I was sure you were going to botch this one. But as before... your dice are hot when you really need them. Wah!]

End of Captain Jacks hacking challenge... unless there is anything else you want to try. Muankaal and Captain Zorg are negotiating furiously-- you might still have some time!
_________________
Jeffro's Space Gaming Blog
Microgames, Monster Games, and Role Playing Games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 69 of 71

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group