Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi Newb questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Hi Newb questions. Reply with quote

Hi,
a collegue and I have just ordered some FC product to get us started. Between us we have ordered academy and gradution, a couple of boosters and a couple of attack packs.
Whilst we wait for the goodies to arrive, I,ve been taking a look at all the vast info available - lots of it, as I,m sure you know!
As we have both academy and graduation, does it mean we will have 2 rule sets and are they the same, and will they be the latest versions?

Any free downloads to recommend?

Thanks guy's Laughing

Texy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, free Missions might be a good place to start. And no, Academy and Gradutation will not leave you with identical items.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academy + Graduation will give you everything from Klingon Border. (Plus the Romulan KE and Gorn BC, an extra set of 1/2" counters, and a paper map.) So, no, there isn't any overlap.

If you both want rules, then I suggest one of you gets the Reference Rulebook. Then, you will both have the rules, and you won't have too many other counters and such.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I guess the rulebook is not available as a download?
Also I read that the rules supplied with academy is version 4 - is that the latest?
Cheers T.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version is Rev5. All of the rulebooks should be to this level. If you rulebook is not, then please email sales@starfleetgames.com to see if you can work out a deal for an updated rulebook.

And, no, the full rulebook is not available as a download. Currently it only exists as hard copy. Note, however, that a shortened "intro" rulebook is available as a PDF. It is called First Missions.

Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. How long has the version 5 rulebook been out?
I guess I should wait until academy arrives before progressing, but over here in the UK the rulebook alone is £12.99 and I paid £12.99 for academy as well. So either the stand alone rulebook is hardback, or it has a lot more in it than the book supplied with the games.........or both Wink
Cheers,
Texy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for free downloads, you will find loads of interesting stuff in the Resources section of the Commander's Circle at:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle/

Ship cards, scenarios, and the Communiques. Enjoy!

Oh and btw, welcome to the game!
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend the Commander's Circle. There is a treasure trove of ships, scenarios, and everything else a new group might want to try out. With a new Communique each month I guarantee you will have plenty of material to read.

-Jay
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texy wrote:
OK. How long has the version 5 rulebook been out?
I guess I should wait until academy arrives before progressing, but over here in the UK the rulebook alone is £12.99 and I paid £12.99 for academy as well. So either the stand alone rulebook is hardback, or it has a lot more in it than the book supplied with the games.........or both Wink
Cheers,
Texy

It has been out about a year. Once the rule books were updated, all shipped products used the new rulebooks. However, there were older rulebooks still out in the pipeline, and depending on where you got yours, it could have been from that older stock.

Anyway, I told you to contact sales@starfleetgames.com if you have an old rulebook because they may be able to help you upgrade to the later version in a more cost-efficient manner.

Also, even with just a rev4 rule book, you can always just download the CRUL. Rev4 and the CRUL give you the equivalent of the Rev5 rulebook.

dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texy wrote:

You got it cheap then. Academy should be around £20. However, it isn't much more than the rulebook, 4 shipcards, a countersheet, and a paper map.
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my academy pack arrived today and it already has version 5 rulebook inside, so that's no longer an issue.
Thanks for the replies, I'm sure there will more questions Wink

Texy
Tiigo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Federation Commander, Texy! The forums are a great place to learn about the game and ask questions. The link Kang posted is an invaluable resource for all the reasons he listed, too. Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: