Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just me being nitpicky about some phasers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Just me being nitpicky about some phasers. Reply with quote

Regarding the Federation CC (with the phaser refit): where the heck are the 360 degree ph-1 and ph-3's hiding on the engineering hull?

I know where the aft-phasers are, nominally, from various things. But there's those ph-1's back there and the ph-3's get 360 with a refit right? (I assume pre-refit the ph-3's *are* the aft phasers)

So, where the heck are they on the ship? I know it's completely irrelevant and the answer is probably "on the game-balance phaser bank" or some such...

...but my brain does these things.

This game is not the first time I've seen phasers suggested on the secondary hull somewhere (other than after phasers) - but I have never seen them represented anywhere.

First off, I've seen no small holes or little round turrets pairs. Second, the whole 360 degree thing... Grrrrrr too much ship in the way for that! These things are really not very well shaped for combat Wink

So where/how are the little buggers?

Is the question answered in that FJ technical manual by any chance?

Or is it really just "on the game balance phaser bank" and try not to think about it too much?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJ doesn't have any phasers in the engineering hull.

There is a background noise dialogue tape that appeared in a couple of episodes of TOS in which the "aft phasers" reported in. Based on that we invented the aft phaser refit, two ph-1s on top of the engineering hull behind the engine struts.

Later we added 360 degree phasers on the bottom of the engineering hull where they have clear fields of fire all around (ignoring the three dimensional space thing).
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, that's kind of what I was guessing, seemed the most feasible thing Very Happy

I briefly thought it would kind of cool if the phaser turrets could run on tracks, almost like an old school version of those TNG emitter bands/rings -- lol but that's obviously a no-go XD Might have looked neat, though. Fun to ponder Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 360-degree phasers can be seen on the Fed CAR in this image (on the bottom of the engineering hull, as-noted).

Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. What's that little cylinder on the bottom? Is that a 3D model of the scan and thus the socket for the stand or is it Something else?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the models used for the ADB Shapeways miniatures and that is indeed the stand-hole.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I remember seeing a phaser dome on the top of the rear hull in at least one episode of TOS. Probably season 3. I always figured that was inspiration for the refit in SFB/FC.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lighted dome immediately above the shuttlebay (usually identified as the shuttle homing beacon), and one tiny red light, but other than that the top of the engineering hull on the filming miniature has always been completely smooth.

Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the filming model had no phaser bumps anywhere.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the windows everywhere always cracks me up in Sci-Fi.

With sensors and optical gear we have even today... it'd make more sense to go submarine style on it for the sake of hull integrity. Perhaps leave one decent window - behind an armored shutter - for the helmsman to use in case of emergency, rofl.

Dang rule of cool.

OOF... that reboot bridge Neutral

God... are there any more franchises that JJ can ruin? Oh yeah... Superman and Green Lantern Sad I hate that man Sad
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in the Enterprise series, season three was the Mirror universe episode. The Defiant was shown with twin phasers on top of the secondary hull firing back into the Tholian base. This would be the correct position for an SFB Fed CAR+. It also had at least one rear firing photon torpedo as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: