Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duel Scenario: Recommended Map Set Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatnagus
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Duel Scenario: Recommended Map Set Up Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a new player trying to grasp the game and have only played a few Duel scenarios so far (guess I will stick with them for some time). The Set Up paragraph of this scenarios is unclear about the map config, leaving it open how many panels to use, while noting that a "fixed" map is intended. Anyhow, it seems to me that map config is relevant, since it shifts the advantage between short range weapon / low maneuverabilty; medium range / high maneuverability ships.

I have the feeling that using the 6 map panels from Klingon Border alone (Fleet Scale) is not enough when playing with a fixed map. I own some old Battlespace hex maps, which offer me as much space as I want. So my question to experienced players: Which map size (hexes between starting positions on opposite corners) should I use for a 1 on 1 Duel? Do you recommend a fixed or floating map? The latter option would make my first question somewhat redundant, but it's still of interest for the starting location distance.

Thanks!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players set up the duel scenario differently, but generally the six map "small hex" map panels are enough. Just do as the instructions say and start the two ships in opposite corners.

A fixed map will give an advantage to plasma-using ships, while a floating map will take it away from them. A happy medium could be the "location" map. For this, establish the center hex of the original startup map as the fixed point everything depends upon. Ships are allowed to move up to 35 hexes away from that point throughout the scenario. Any ship that moves beyond 35 hexes has disengaged and loses the game.

To play this type of game, you'll have to either:
1) "leapfrog" map panels that have no ships on them to make more space for the ships to move into as they are about to move off the physical edge of a map panel, or
2) get more map panels, or
3) use some other, larger map with more hexes.

Regardless of the method, the important things are to identify and note the initial central hex so it can be used as the reference point and to note the 35 hex range (or whatever range you initially define).

Hope this helps.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is playing with large hexes, 6 panels is likely not enough for a fixed map. I agree that with small hexes 6 panels works fine for a fixed map with ships starting in opposite corners.

In FC Origins Tournament scenario the starting distance between opposite corners on a 6 panel small hex fixed map is 46 hexes. This long starting distance is helpful for empires with weapons that cannot fire every turn. For example, at this starting distance the Feds on the first turn can opt to skip the free photon preload, keep batteries, run Baseline Speed 8 and then have plenty energy to double overload all photons at the end of the first turn without being signficantly exposed to to direct fire on the first turn. With a 30 hex starting distance, this is generally not feasible for a Fed player.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
greatnagus
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, very informative answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: