Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to FC, and I want to buy the new FC Reference manual, the one with all the rules. I was going to get Klingon Border.

Would you recommend getting both? I want the latest rules, but they don't come with any of the materials needed to play.

Thanks all
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have one of the game sets, I would *highly* recommend the reference manual.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play with just Klingon Border you don't need the Reference Rulebook.

Once you start adding Romulan Border, Distant Kingdoms, etc. with new weapons systems, that is when the Reference Rulebook becomes very, very useful. You only have to flip through one rulebook rather than multiple expansion-specific books.
Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

I think I'll get the best of both worlds

===================

Another question, I've played Full Thrust and enjoyed it, but found it a bit lacking in the rules crunch and options departmrent. How does FC compare?
Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Almost 8 years to the day when I first wrote this post!)

I was wondering what would be the best product to purchase to get into Federation Commander for the first time? When I last looked there was Klingon Border and Romulan Border.

Are these two options the best way to get into FC or have others been introduced?

Thanks all (and sorry for the necro)
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you came back.

If you haven't bought anything at all yet, the free downloadable Federation Commander "First Missions" pdf is a great place to start. It is both a "teach you the game" tool and a complete (if limited) version of the game, including printable versions of most components.

If you prefer hardcopies, the "Academy" folio set includes real laminated ship cards, counters, and foldable map, with the same teaching and complete-but-limited game set (more than the First Missions download).

Once you've mastered what it can teach you and start yearning for more ships and more empires, then the "Klingon Border" or "Romulan Border" boxed-sets are still the intended entryway to the full game system and everything else builds from one of them.

It doesn't matter which one you choose, other than which "bad guy" empire the box focuses on. All the "missing" bits that are in the other box-set can be had with the corresponding "... Space" folio pack (without duplicating map panels, etc.).
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks djdood, that's exactly what I was wanting to hear Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do note that with Academy, there is also the companion product Graduation. The combination of Academy + Graduation is equivalent to Klingon Border.

The Klingon Border / Romulan Border / Academy rulebook (all the same book) will give rules for the Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Kzintis, Gorns, Orions, and Archeo-Tholians. It doesn't include Hydrans, Lyrans, ISC, Seltorians, Tholian webcasters, Vudar, and Andromedans.

Also, don't forget that, if you are willing to be "makeshift" on your counters, you can always get a lot of mileage out of the ships published in Communique, too. While there are a lot of ships that don't work without their special weapons rules, there are still plenty that have their rules covered in there. And, if you want to get creative with some of the other ships, you can still use many of those you don't have full rules for.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mjwest

As a completist, is there a way to get a hold of the Hydrans <--to--> Andromedans?

The reason I have come back to FC is due to 'The Big Bang Theory' comedy series, and in particular, the character 'Sheldon' who keeps talking about Star Trek. I'm watching the original series (for the first time at the age of 50) and I'm enjoying it a lot. I was 50 in July and I believe Star Trek is having its 50th anniversary this year too.

Worked out nicely Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, you can definitely get all of the other empires, too. However, to get everything is pretty much tantamount to buy everything, and I am trying to not scare you off. Smile

So, we are suggesting trying with a limited investment, then expanding out once you know you like it. The game is not going away. You can take the time to try it first, then buy more if you want.

Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd like to get the Klingon box set but have the rulebook coil bound. There's a store near where I live that can do this.

Should I buy the box set and choose the loose leaf unpunched option?

I'm finding it difficult to buy the game in the UK. Best I've found is:

https://leisuregames.com/products/federation-commander-klingon-border?variant=30595723274

Fed Com KB is $59.95 yet the UK price is
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, this Forum cannot handle any special characters. "Smart" quotes will kill it. I imagine the symbol you are trying to use for "Euro" is also killing it. When posting, don't use those characters.

To your first question, yes, it sounds like you want "loose leaf unpunched".

To your second concern, I don't know what to tell you ...

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order direct from us but the postage and import duties are murder.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warden,

I've ordered both directly from ADB (surface rates aren't too hideous and unlike some companies, ADB only charge you what the shipping actually costs) and from Leisure Games. I've never had an issue with either.

Leisure Games is a great store - if I'm ever in the area (Finchley, North London) I always pop in and buy something - my purchase of F&E Strategic Operations and Planetary Operations were done in this manner, and I've ordered a number of Fed Cdr Boosters from Leisure Games too.

Hope that helps!
Warden
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:
Warden,

I've ordered both directly from ADB (surface rates aren't too hideous and unlike some companies, ADB only charge you what the shipping actually costs) and from Leisure Games. I've never had an issue with either.

Leisure Games is a great store - if I'm ever in the area (Finchley, North London) I always pop in and buy something - my purchase of F&E Strategic Operations and Planetary Operations were done in this manner, and I've ordered a number of Fed Cdr Boosters from Leisure Games too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Scott

I checked out Leisure Games but they don't have Klingon Border in stock. I'll ask them if they will be restocking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: