Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starfleet Academy/Graduate V. Klingon Border

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Starfleet Academy/Graduate V. Klingon Border Reply with quote

My wife and I just finished playing about a week's worth of "First Missions" and really love this game. We have decided to purchase an actual starter set, but is there an advantage other than price to doing "Academy" vs. "Klingon Border"? I know if you get "Graduate" then you have the entire set, but are the scenarios different? Is it worth playing both? Since we are new, we are really about the storyline and experience in learning about the Universe, so I thought I would throw this question out before we place our order.

Thanks!
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Starfleet Academy/Graduate V. Klingon Border Reply with quote

Pius wrote:
My wife and I just finished playing about a week's worth of "First Missions" and really love this game. We have decided to purchase an actual starter set, but is there an advantage other than price to doing "Academy" vs. "Klingon Border"? I know if you get "Graduate" then you have the entire set, but are the scenarios different? Is it worth playing both? Since we are new, we are really about the storyline and experience in learning about the Universe, so I thought I would throw this question out before we place our order.

Thanks!

As someone who went that route himself for monetary reasons, I can tell you there is NOTHING different between the two... except paying double the shipping and handling, of course. Wink

If you aren't cash-strapped and forced to buy a little now and a little later, the best way to start off in FedCom is to buy either Klingon Border or Romulan Border all at once rather than 'Academy' and 'Graduation' separately- save that extra $5.00 you'd have spent on separate shipping for 'Graduation,' or use it to buy a Booster Pack. Very Happy
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for sharing that. I figured that was the case, so I think we will go ahead and get the Klingon Border and order all the miniatures for it. Any other suggestions as to "must haves" to get started besides the box set itself? I really appreciate all the feedback.
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pius wrote:
Great! Thanks for sharing that. I figured that was the case, so I think we will go ahead and get the Klingon Border and order all the miniatures for it. Any other suggestions as to "must haves" to get started besides the box set itself? I really appreciate all the feedback.

If you want a greater variety of ships, pick up a Booster Pack with some Romulan and/or Gorn ships - Booster Pack #8 (2 Rom & 3 Gorn) or Booster Pack #10 (2 Rom & 3 Fed) would fit the bill there; or for a balanced concentration of Romulan ships, try Booster Pack #12. No need to buy a Booster Pack of just Gorns... in fact, why play Gorns at all. Twisted Evil All the rules necessary to play these ships are in the Klingon Border rulebook, so all you'll be short of is the pretty counters.

EDIT: You could also buy some Booster Packs with Orion Pirate ships, but there are some revised/expanded rules for them in Orion Attack that you will surely want to get later!
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border Box #1 has all the miniatures for Klingon Border, correct?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squadron Boxes 1+2+3 provide one miniature for each type of ship in Klingon Border. Border Box 1 provides 24 miniatures (filling out the complete set of 40 that matches the game and boosters 1+2+3).
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to get a good start, would you say we should just go ahead and get Squadron Box 1-3 and the Border Box?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Border Box should cover the minis in squadron boxes #1-#3, so I'd only get those if you wanted to have duplicates.

So far as future modules go, there are a few options.

*If you wanted to flesh out the Klingons and Kzintis a bit more, you could get Klingon Attack. That'll give you more of their ships, as well as the not-so-friendly Juggernaut Alpha!

*If you wanted to get a broader view of several empires, as well as have a different tactical spin on things, there is Briefing #2 (and/or the various matching e23 modules on file). This gives you a look at the ships of the Middle Years, which are earlier 'pre-refit' versions of ships you see in the likes of Klingon Border. The different way things were done back then (with weaker shields, less secondary weapons, and not quite as much power to go around) mean things don't work in quite the same way...

*Alternatively, if you are up for trying something new, there are a number of modules introducing various other empires. If you really want a challenge, there is War and Peace; the Inter-Stellar Concordium try to put the 'insane empires' in their place, the Andromedan Invaders arrive with a number of unique technologies and use them to launch a full-scale attempt to conquer the galaxy, while the Vudar Enclave push their luck while carving out their own satrapy within Klingon (and Hydran) space!

*Oh, and if you wanted to make more use of the Border Box minis, it's worth noting that the Klingon Armada game is designed to fit the ships offered in both Klingon Border and Klingon Attack. That game is based on the Starmada engine, and has a very different feel to it than FC does; less detail per ship, but more of an emphasis on large-scale fleet combat.

Hope that helps.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squadron boxes 1-2-3 include "single" ships (DN, BCH, C8, C7) not in Border Box #1.
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses again guys! I'm looking forward to getting back home from the In-Laws tomorrow and playing again.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still, y'all have missed the most crucial part of the original posting:
Pius wrote:
My wife and I just finished playing about a week's worth of "First Missions" and really love this game. We...

She's a keeper! Wink

Last edited by Scoutdad on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the free Communique newsletters too, if you haven't already. Lots of scenarios, new ships and other goodies in it.
Pius
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
And still, y'all have missed the most crucial part of the original posting:
Pius wrote:
My wife and I just finished playing about a week's worth of "First Missions" and really love this game. We...

She's a keeper! Wink

That she is! Also, yes the newsletters are awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: