Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules Question (Order of actions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Rules Question (Order of actions) Reply with quote

Was playing a game with my brother the other day, and we came across a problem. I hit him with Plasma torpedoes on the same turn he was going to shoot me. Note, not Plasma Bolts, Plasma Torpedoes, which I fired on an earlier impulse.

Does my damage take precedence, can he shoot at me first, or is it simutaneous.

We ruled it simultaneous, but I am getting the feeling my torpedoes should have taken precedence. What is it?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules Question (Order of actions) Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Was playing a game with my brother the other day, and we came across a problem. I hit him with Plasma torpedoes on the same turn he was going to shoot me. Note, not Plasma Bolts, Plasma Torpedoes, which I fired on an earlier impulse.

We ruled it simultaneous, but I am getting the feeling my torpedoes should have taken precedence. What is it?

Seeking weapons, of which Plasma torpedoes are, will do their damage in at the end of the Defensive Fire Phase (1E2c), in this phase the impacted ship can fire some weapons at the torpedo in an attempt to make it hurt less.
After this, is the Offensive Direct-Fire phase (1E2d) during which shooting offensively can occur (eg phasers at you).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each phase is discrete. Activity within a phase is simultaneous*.

Therefore, since plasma torpedoes hit during the Defensive Fire phase, their damage is scored and marked in that phase. The Offensive Fire phase comes after that and any damage scored in the Defensive Fire phase has already taken effect. Any (for example) phasers that were disabled during the Defensive Fire phase are not available to fire during the Offensive Fire phase.

So, yes, you should have applied the damage from the plasma torpedoes before determining what weapons he was able to fire on you in response.

[*] For certain definitions of "simultaneous". Certain activities has specific orders within a phase, but everything is still pretty much considered simultaneous for the purposes of damage and such.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Each phase is discrete. Activity within a phase is simultaneous*.

Therefore, since plasma torpedoes hit during the Defensive Fire phase, their damage is scored and marked in that phase. The Offensive Fire phase comes after that and any damage scored in the Defensive Fire phase has already taken effect. Any (for example) phasers that were disabled during the Defensive Fire phase are not available to fire during the Offensive Fire phase.

So, yes, you should have applied the damage from the plasma torpedoes before determining what weapons he was able to fire on you in response.

[*] For certain definitions of "simultaneous". Certain activities has specific orders within a phase, but everything is still pretty much considered simultaneous for the purposes of damage and such.

Thanks!

That was what I thought, but I couldn't find it in the rules so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Now I know for next time. Again, thanks!

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: