Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tell us about your e23 purchases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ship card files for those products come to us as a finished complete package, so you'd have to ask Daniel Kast to provide such a "facing one way" document, but if he does, we'll upload it. (The ones in Captain's Log come to us as individual ships that we arrange.)
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to buy the Reference Rules book but didn't do it when I saw that it was more expensive than paper version.

I buy a lot of PDF for other games (Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Battletech...) but that is because they are usually cheaper than the more material things.

I will never buy an electronic product that is as costly or even more expensive than the paper version, if I want some of it on my computer I can scan it myself for free.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klingon Pack #1 purchased and rated.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same price, not more. It's the price it is because of the nature of the beast. Most "cheaper than paper PDFs" are limited usage dungeon advetures that you use once, not a master resource that is updated continually and used every time you play.
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be cheaper because you dont have the printing and producing cost.

Selling it the same price mean you are already over-evaluating production price of your printed product or you are trying to charge a very large margin on .pdf sales.

You complain that your printed products are expensive because you are a small company and have huge printing price because of low number of printing. It make no sense that thoses same huge price are reported to the digital version, something no other game company that I am aware of do.

Seeing a .pdf to sale at 50$ make me think it is crazy.

I dont want to rant, I just wanted to report you the reason why I have no incentive to spend money on the digital version. I'd rather buy the printed version wich are seriously cheaper to me du to the 15% I got at my FLGs.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKerensky - a few things to say.

1. Welcome to the forums!
2. I'm not part of ADB, Inc. so I don't know all the details. I do know there's more involved in determining the price than printing costs. There's been discussion of the pricing of .pdfs here on the forums in other threads, so I won't bother repeating it all here. If your FLGS gives you a discount, then if I were you I'd support them. FLGSs are important to ADB because they help sell ADB's products by stocking them and providing places to play.
3. If you have a complaint or criticism of a company officer or volunteer staffer (i.e. Steve Cole, Jean Sexton, Mike West or others) then it's best to send an email. Posting things like that on the BBS is against the rules.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKerensky,

You are allowed to complain that PDFs cost too much. You are not allowed to project insulting reasons for that perceived high cost. I have modified your message (by a single word) to clean it up.

As Terry said, printing costs are only part of the cost of creating a document, whether print or PDF. In the case of rulebooks, printing costs are NOT the barrier. ADB has print-on-demand, and so they don't have need for large inventories and such. (Where printing costs become a factor are for FC ship cards and for counters. That printing is outsourced and done in volume.)

Anyway, ADB is free to set whatever prices they think is reasonable. You are free to buy or not buy. You are also free to publicly disagree and state your case. But do not be insulting about it.

Thank you. I am sorry for the "rough landing" at the forum. I hope it goes well after this.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that this supposedly overpriced product is always one of the two or three best sellers, I think we priced it correctly.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IKerensky,

Since you are new, let me introduce myself. I'm Jean, ADB's "WebMom/moderator," proofreader, line editor for the RPG line, and marketing director. Welcome to the Forum.

I am sorry that you feel the e-versions are too expensive. Here are some reasons that they are "full-price."

For major rulebooks, we don't want to undercut the brick-and-mortar stores that support us. We want them to stay in business. Think how much your local store would be hurt if you told them that you were buying the FC Reference Rulebook for $7.50. There is no way they could match that price. Would they be willing to carry paper copies "just in case" someone wanted one? How long before the SFU became marginalized in that store?

Where we can discount, we do -- online items with no paper equivalent. For example, our 8-ship boosters are $10. Our "six-packs" are $5. Creating and checking 12 ships takes an addition 50% of time from SVC, Mike West, and me, yet the price isn't increased.

We have to stay in business to give you all more things to "play with." That means we must turn a profit. Just because we sold something online doesn't mean that the rent doesn't need paying, the electricity and water don't need to be kept on, the employees don't need to be paid, and all of the expenses a company has can be ignored. While SVC might be inclined to give things away, his CFO (and wife) isn't going to let him lose money. Remember that the most expensive parts of the book are the writer's time and the editor's time. After that comes marketing. We still had to invest that time.

Why you still might consider buying an electronic version:

The product is high resolution and many times has color the print version does not.

The PDF is searchable using Adobe's native search engine.

The PDF is easily bookmarked by using the same program.

Your book never, ever wears out and has to be repurchased. I know I have worn out some of my favorite books a couple of times.

Your book is never, ever ruined. If you print a copy for yourself and knock a drink over on it or drop chocolate on it leaving an ugly smear, simply return to the PDF and print a new one. If your dog eats the book, print a new one. If you dog eats your computer, then you have to get a new computer, but the re-download is free.

If there is a major update to the rules, we'll probably update the rulebook. You will be notified and can download a brand new copy, free of charge. This also means no need to store backups of your scans as if your computer crashes, re-downloads are free.

Please do feel free to email us with any concerns. SVC has the reputation of being exceptionally open to fans of the games and most folks will tell you that I am warm and fluffy. Smile

Again, welcome, and thanks for supporting your local game store and ADB.

Last edited by Jean on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this over lunch, and Leanna said to tell you this...

People bought the paper RRB-5 for $15 and as of Monday will have to pay another $15 for the paper RRB-6.

People bought the electronic RRB-5 for $15 and as of Monday will download the updated RRB-6 for $0.

Bottom line, the electronic price is already HALF of the paper price.
JEGoodrich
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURPS Prime Directive purchased and rated 5.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohooo! Now there are 26 products that have at least five votes. Keep up the good work!
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the rule book. The title when I bought it stated that it didn't include War and Peace but I bought it any way ($15 is a good price I though after you factor in shipping as I have to order it online). I was pleasantly surprised that it did include War and Peace. I also rated it as a 5. I just discovered e23 today as I have been away from the forums for awhile and will be buying more!
Always been a fan of ADB and will continue to support it.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out, please. I need to know exactly where it says that that the FC RRB does not include War & Peace. Obviously that is wrong and it needs to be fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jean
(Doing her marketing thing)
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry jean I looked again and it is in the discription correctly I must have just misread it when I looked at it. Sorry to cause you any distress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: