Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Toner or Color Communique Ship Cards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer for Communique Ship Cards?
Color Versions
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
Low Toner Versions
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Either version is fine for me
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 34

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Low Toner or Color Communique Ship Cards Reply with quote

For Communique (only), ADB has moved from color ship cards to low toner ship cards.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, do remember that more people communicate with ADB than through just the Forum. This straw poll will prove only how many of the fans on this site have a preference.
Drew Klenotic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nevermind. If I knew it didnt matter, I wouldn't have bothered.

That said, does the low toner version really save that much toner vs someone just using draft mode on their printer?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to each, their own, but I've printed out 600dpi versions of just about all the color cards from Communique without using *that* much color ink. Of course, those are minus any non-Alpha octant ones that I care nothing about.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, some of the colors don't play well with the text if the colors are not colors but some shade of gray. I was telling SVC that some headings needed to be green and he told me that instead the green ones needed to be gray.
MajinAku
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered simply to say I'm quite disappointed at the change.

1) Are enough people really that cheap that they complained enough to get this changed? Come on people...

2) Wasn't there such a huge push just recently to find a way to get us color Briefing #2 SSD's? (Now through e23)

Just doesn't make any sense Rolling Eyes
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a 'feel' kind of opinion. I just think that Communiques now lack that 'pizazz' with low-toner ship cards; the coloured card were much more pleasing to the eye.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-posted/Edited from another thread

First, MajinAku welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that it was disappointment that drove you to participate.

Second, while the decision to change from color to low-toner was made based on customer requests and actions, I have to say that sales of the Ship Card packs on e23 have been mixed. The packs with new color cards have been good. The ones of the high resolution, re-edited color ones that were in early Communiques have not paid for SVC's time (in my opinion). Five packs of the Gorn cards sold, and after e23 takes its cut, that isn't much when you consider that SVC spent several hours doing it, I spent several hours checking them, SVC and I spent an hour making changes, and it probably took me nearly an hour to do the announcements. That doesn't count Mike West's time checking them or Leanna's to get them to e23. That would be at least 9 man-hours to produce something that brought in less than $25.

While SVC made the decision based on what he heard from customers, I would have to suggest to SVC that this change would have to be financially beneficial to the company and I feel sure that Leanna would agree. Nine man-hours that would bring in $100 to the company or the same amount of time bringing in $25 -- what would you choose in my shoes?

By the way, the older Ship Cards take a good chunk of time to be "Jeaned". They are not "free money." PH1s become PH-1s; 360 gets its degree sign, the weapons track gets arranged to make me happy (A B C 1 2 3 X Y Z), titles get italicized, notes get changed to the current standard, "windshields" on the shuttles get turned gold, and bunches more. (SVC is so well trained now that he tries to catch most of what I always want changed before I even get the cards.) There is a reason that one of my nicknames at ADB is "She Who Gets What She Wants" and I want the Ship Cards to meet current standards.

As for thoughts that the Ship Card packs on e23 are completely recycled, don't forget the counters are new. Those are mostly SVC and Mike West magic with me sometimes saying "How come they are numbered 5, 7, 8?"

Do think of the fact that ADB provides two free newsletters. In Hailing Frequencies, you get a Command Note each month as well as serialized fiction and information about the other games. Communique is tailored just for you and has new ships and a new scenario. Both of these take time from SVC, Petrick, and me.

I used to think that these things were just whipped out in a few minutes, but I've come to realize while working with SVC and Petrick how time-consuming they really are. While I miss the zing of color, I also cannot begrudge the company the income to stay afloat, especially since we are trying to make the e23 SHip Card packs easily affordable to our customers.

Gentlemen, the company needs to stay in business. No matter how crass it sounds, that means we need to bring in money. I cannot in good faith advise SVC to print color Ship Cards in Communique when he has requests for the low-toner ones and it kills sales. I cannot change the requests from customers. Only you can change the sales and prove me wrong.

Don't get me wrong -- the change in Communique was driven by customer requests. It just happens to back neatly into marketing which is driven by customer decisions on e23.
MajinAku
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "protest" I've purchased all of the ship packs from Briefing #2 as well as the reference rulebook off e23 Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajinAku wrote:
In "protest" I've purchased all of the ship packs from Briefing #2 as well as the reference rulebook off e23 Smile

<channeling Webmom>Don't forget to rate them!</channeling>

Back to the topic at hand...
After playing SFB since 1980, our group is used to the back/white SSDs, so the LT versions don't matter much to us old-timers.
The newer members of our group OTOH, are a bit disappointed. They have gotten used to "free" full color versions of the ship cards. But, since we are almost all adults and in the business or management end of things in real life, we understand the requirements of a business.
To that end we say, "Thanks for continuing to provide us with free materials for our favorite game!"
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that BBS/Forum participants are only the "10-20% most elite players" and that their opinions of what they want and what should be done are often very different from those of the overall gene pool.

for example, 90% of BBS F&E players use "all the expansions" and think everything should be designed and based on the assumtion that "everybody uses all the expansions" while in the total customer pool less than half use any of the expansions.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can certainly understand the business decision, I am still very disappointed to see the color ship cards gone from Communique. Having color cards was one of the huge benefits that drew me into Federation Commander in the first place.

Garrett
JEGoodrich
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that hard to color a low toner card.

And its pretty calming too. It takes me back nearly forty years to a time before I knew about taxes and bills. Just pretend its a coloring book.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Here BTTY, BTTY, BTTY. Let me turn you dark blue ....
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Remember that BBS/Forum participants are only the "10-20% most elite players"

<blush> Gee, thanks Steve Very Happy Nobody's ever called me 'Elite' before (however indirectly), at least not since I finished the eponymous computer game....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: