Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

plasma arming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: plasma arming Reply with quote

I was pondering start of game weapon arming, and was also thinking about plasma - (that weekly hot topic). In particular something I said in the faster plasma thread, that I just re-read, got me to thinking about this, along with my respnse to the drone reload question. I dare say someone has proposed something similar before.

Heavy weapons that are 2 turn armers, on the whole get the option to start a game with the first turn of power paid, at the expense of empty batteries at the start of game. Plasma also gets the option to have the first turn of power paid but without the battery penalty (barring F's of course).

Flip that logic around for a moment, and look at the identical rule from another angle

Heavy weapons that are 2 turn armers, on the whole get the option to start a game with only the last turn of power to pay, at the expense of empty batteries at the start of game. Plasma gets no such option.

Plasma is unique in Fed Comm in being the only weapon system that can't fire on turn 1, unless I'm forgetting something. It's also the only weapon system that has a 3 turn arming cycle. That means that the likes of Feds, ISC, Hydrans, Andro can start a game ready to fire their heavy weapons. If they fire on turn 1 they can fire again on turn 3 and 5 in theory. As a gross generalsiation I find that by turn 5 the game has probably been largely decided, and in tourney style games you may be lucky to even reach turn 5 in the time limit. Plasma on the other hand can fire at the earliest on turn 2, and (if they can avoid losing the tubes and the energy) will have it ready again by turn 5. If plasma could fire on turn 1 like other heavy weapon firers then they could in theory fire again by turn 4. So by turn 4 both plasma and other 2 turn armers could have had 2 shots should they choose to, in what will usually be the most important turns of the game. In a tourney style game they are also more likely to have a decent chance of actually getting a second shot off. The 2 turn armers still get the drop on the plasma by being ready again on 3 rather than 4, so their advantage hasn't been totally eroded.

As I mentioned in that other plasma thread, I found in tourney style games my biggest issue was that you cannot rely on a second shot like other weapons can. You can 2 turn arm your limited number of large tubes, which can give you shots on 2 and some on turn 4, but unlike other weapons you are having to deliberately downgrade your weapon in order to get in that second shot in the time limit. Of course half or more of your plasma is usually only F's and can't 2 turn arm anyway.

Proposal:

Plasma gets the same option of sacrificing batteries in order to start with only one turn of energy left to pay like other weapons do. The existing rule could remain as well, they choose to start with 1 turn power with no battery penalty or 2 turns power with the battery penalty.

OK it's a rule addition and I'm not a fan of them unless they clearly fix a problem. Most people consider plasma a big problem but they are often looking at it from how to actually use it rather than armiing cycle. I don't put myself in that category generally, but I do think, that the 3 turn arming and lack of turn 1 readiness combines to be an issue. It means they have only 25%-50% the amount of heavy weapons fire that other ships have in usally the most important first 3 or 4 turns of a game.

On the plus side, the rule itself is not a new mechanic - it is exactly the same as most 2 turn armers already get, just a slight twist in the way you look at it.

Comments? (and no I'm not into a wide ranging discussion on plasma generally, there are other threads for that).

PS: MWest, my expectations of a change are suitably low Wink

Last edited by storeylf on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see such a change.

In the SFB tournament format, the ships start much closer together than in FC. They also start at what the SFB rules call "WS-III", so there are options for having a bit of extra overload energy in photon torpedoes, for example. Let's assume the first turn was simply the two squadrons closing with each other and overloading weapons (which is what happens most of the time anyway), start the two squadrons much closer, and get with the blasty-blasty much sooner.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger Plasmas do have the option of firing as in 2 turns as Quick load Fs --
Start arming as regular, if situation becomes serious you can add 2 pts of energy and fire as F --- (4J2d) ---
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Larger Plasmas do have the option of firing as in 2 turns as Quick load Fs --
Start arming as regular, if situation becomes serious you can add 2 pts of energy and fire as F --- (4J2d) ---

I did mention that.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot to digest in your post, just missed that part ---
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
A lot to digest in your post, just missed that part ---

My terrible grammar probably doesn't help either, nor the number of spelling errors I keep spotting and correcting Embarassed
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't forget that Gorns, Feds and Orions can carronade Type-F's on Tn#1. Granted, their potential targets may well be out of range, but it is an exception to the 'plasmas can't fire on Tn#1' statement.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to think about is that the Feds often don't have their fully-charged Alpha (i.e. full overloads) charged until Tn#2, similar to the plasma boys. Setting up a full spread of double-shotted photons can often be a three-turn operation for Feds.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Also don't forget that Gorns, Feds and Orions can carronade Type-F's on Tn#1. Granted, their potential targets may well be out of range, but it is an exception to the 'plasmas can't fire on Tn#1' statement.

As noted in my post, Fs are the exception, as they start fully armed - you don't even need to carronade them.

Except on light ships however it is the larger plasma that are your big hitters. They are the ones that you can't use on turn 1 and are therefore guaranteed to not get to use them (a second time) at their standard level until at least turn 5, often to late in a tourney.

I am not seeing the ability to arm on turn 1 as some major fix to all perceived plasma problems. Even if you had the option you might not use it, or be able to make much use of it. Though even if you don't get to fire on turn 1 you will at least start turn 2 with only holding costs to pay rather than being hit with the final turn of arming.

It is just a suggestion to A) even the playing field with other heavy weapons and provide that option, I can't see any obvious reason why they should be unique in having the no turn 1 penalty. and B) by providing the option also provide some reasonable possibility of using your big plasmas a second time (without reducing the warhead to an F) in time limited games.

Last edited by storeylf on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Another thing to think about is that the Feds often don't have their fully-charged Alpha (i.e. full overloads) charged until Tn#2, similar to the plasma boys. Setting up a full spread of double-shotted photons can often be a three-turn operation for Feds.

Whether they use or not is not the same as can they do it. They can indeed do a full overload on turn 1. Just as the plasma user may not actually get to a point where he can reasonably launch on turn 1 he will have at least the possibility and choice. PPDs and TRs of course cannot overload so it is not even an issue for them.

Also note that using overloads is hardly necessary. Whether it is photons or not, I probably use standard load weapons far more than overload weapons. A fed on turn 1 with standard loads and phasers still has a significant firepower edge and with directed volleys could be stripping you of plasma before you are even armed. That can have a noticeable affect on doing things like moving for a good position, irrespective of what you think of how hard it is to use plasma, your choices on turn 1 on curtailed for no other reason than your unique arming penalty.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:

As noted in my post, Fs are the exception, as they start fully armed - you don't even need to carronade them.

Duh, yes of course. Stupid of me....my SFB days are now long ago and the Weapons Status stuff had me confused Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that might occur is more aggressive play by plasma ships. I know some people were concerned that plasma was 'boring'. If you can have plasma armed on turn 1, even if only to pay holding on turn 2 then it might result in more aggression early on and set the tempo for the game.

It might not, but certainly at the moment there is a strong incentive to hold back early on as your main plasmas aren't armed, and on turn 2 you are paying the final turn energy.
pmiller13
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other thing that might occur is more aggressive play by plasma ships. I know some people were concerned that plasma was 'boring'. If you can have plasma armed on turn 1, even if only to pay holding on turn 2 then it might result in more aggression early on and set the tempo for the game.

I think storeylf has a point here. Why would ships ever start a battle without there weapons armed and ready to go? At least not when the scenario does not call for a reason for it? Also much of a battle is mental, by not having those plasma torps armed the mind set is that 'first I have to get these armed', all the while the other guy is moving for position to blast the plasma ship. By starting the battle fully armed on both sides then both sides can simply move for position. I would certainly be in favor so seeing this change tested and seeing what affect it has on plasma battles.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do as well. It is a simple change that adds a little help to the large Plasma tube ships.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like was stated big plasma can be 2 turned fire as a F Torpedo I am not sure we need to change their arming cycles because it seems a rare occurrence where a plasma Ship Fires on Turn 1 anyway. I am more leaning toward a Speed Change on Plasma Torpedoes to a 32+1 (Speed 40) which is what Late war Sabot Refits provide in SFB. Think about this it makes Plasma travel faster i.e. "run a target down," and adds "Range Endurance" to the Warhead as well because Torpedoes degrade by impulse.

I am still playing with this before i start a full lobby on a speed change.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: