Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storeylf Vs Targ campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scores on the doors

Fed: 11192
Klingon: 9253

Fed OOB (damage status)
DN (5)
BC
CC
CA (6)
3 * CL
2 * DD (cripple)
2* DD
FF (10)
FF
CVS [12* F-18]

Klink OOB (damage status)
C8 (cripple)
D7C (cripple)
D7 (cripple)
D7 (11)
D6 (5)
2 * D6
F5 (cripple)
F5 (12)
F5
3 * E4
Rom SPH-B [16 fighters (8 + 8 )]

End of round activities are due (front line repair, rear area repair, request extra ship). The Klink can buy an extra E4 this round, and the Feds a FF.

Fed has 200, 400 pt card
Klink has 400, 700, 800 cards.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm requesting a fresh CA from high command (using the 200 pts card), and the extra FF. That will cost me 225 (+25%) = 282 VP.

I'll be using the 400 pts card for front line damage repair; The DN and CA (399)

I expect the Klinks will get all damaged ships repaired even if it is costing double, other wise they are looking very thin on the ground, they can just get every thing 'damaged' back to fully functional for exactly 700pts. I expect they will also be sending as many cripples back for rear area repair (so they miss a campaign round) with the 800 pt card, as next round they are missing 2 cards during the supply phase, so they need to be getting as much as possible repaired this round. That will leave them with the 400 pt card for new ship. Of course I could be wrong - maybe they'll look at buying a B10 Laughing
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using the 700 pt. card to repair all damaged ships.

The 800 pt. card to send all cripples back behind line to fleet repair docks for a re-fit, so are out for the next campaign turn.

The 400 pt. card is going to be spent on a shiny shiny new C8, let’s see how much we can bend this one. No B10 yet, all though it was tempting Confused .

And we are gratefully receiving the E4 high command had already allocated to us.

C8
C8 (in repair, out of action)
D7C (in repair, out of action)
D7 (in repair, out of action)
D7
3 * D6
F5 (in repair, out of action)
2*F5
4 * E4

Not looking good, I know but I’m off to talk to the Rom commander on this front about combined opps.

A clarification on lost cards; for next round, we have lost the 200 & 400 pt. cards but can we chose to sub a larger card instead, so when it comes to aggression bidding on the scenario we can go low? For example swap the 700 for the 400 and then play the 400.

Oh yes Cpt. Jack is still rumbling about the TEA INCIDENT Laughing , he is now clamming it was a dirty dirty Fed plot to poison him Evil or Very Mad Laughing .
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting this idea for the Tea Party scenario, just for Captain Jack.

Vital tea supply convoy arrives at new colony, but must be protected from treacherous natives. Campaign effect = loser makes tea all round for the duration of next campaign round Laughing , not that klingons know how to make a good cuppa, the heathens Razz
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet Boston? Laughing

Twisted Evil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JvHroG3u5E
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Klingons players feel like they still got a chance ? he sound like they took a bashing every scenario so far, losing a ship here and there while the federation is still largely unscatted...
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are 2 things going on here, one I have noted already - I don't suffer from disagreements over how to fight each battle, and Jack and Targ are very different in play style (to put it mildly) and experience.

The other thing I'm starting to appreciate more (and have been pondering on since last mission) is that the Feds do have quite an advantage, IMO, in these types of battles. Bear in mind the scenarios are objective based, or pseudo time limited (e.g. freighters can disengage in 3 turns). That does seem to bias the games to an empire that has a good crunch weapon, able to do the job in single pass, and the Feds have a good crunch weapon.

I can therefore attack an objective knowing that one pass can kill the target (as per last mission). That makes defending with a disrupter race quite difficult, you can't just hang back (as you might normally think of doing) whilst you whittle down the shorter range Feds, doing so will just let the feds kill the objective and then disengage. But getting up close to the attacking Feds means that you put yourself into photon range, and that gives the Fed the oppotunity to hit ships very hard.

Conversely, when the klingons attack, their lack of heavy crunch means they have a slightly tougher time taking out an objective (possibly within a soft time limit), whilst having the problem of having to get past photon armed vessels. Again I have a slight edge defending I think, though probably not quite as pronounced.

It is interesting playing this sort of campaigns and these sorts of battles. It does a good job of highlighting the pros and cons of certain races in different situations.

I'll leave it to Targ to say what he thinks of their situation, but as this is effectively a play test I was going to ask him whether he would possibly be agreeable to a change of sides. It's always better to try playing from the other side of the hill first, so I'm interested in playing this from the klingon side to get a better feel for what it is like playing the sorts of battles we are playing in the context of a campaign. I'm quite happy to carry on with the current campaign with the klingons.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting, we actually have the same number of ships left, We've both lost 2 heavy ships and 1 smaller ship. Just that the klingons have a lot of cripples. Getting hit by photons tends to do that Smile

I don't think the situation is as desperate as it may appear- the campaign should allow one side to reduce battle sizes to some extent to handle a certain amount of ship disparity, especially if you are prepared to give up some VP or attacker choice in missions.

That is one thing I was wanting, that 1 side or the other may find it is heavily 'defensive' but can still win from such a position, either by winning those defensive battles, or buying time to bring on more ships. Even a round of ignoring objectives and concentrating on enemy ships might swing the situation around if the effects of the 'lost' missions aren't going to be too crippling.

I still think there is plenty of room for coming back with the klingons, the have enough ships to field 2 good groups or 3 modest groups this round, then their significant repaired ships return next round.

I still think it is worth considering a side switch at some point, so we both get a good feel for how a different empire plays in this campaign context.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 missions for next round have been drawn.

Battle station attack.
Assasinate Ally admiral
Meeting engagement.

Briefly:

1. Battle station (default = -1000VP), Defender gets BATS plus his normal points, attacker gets +300 pts plus his normal points. Campaign effect = breakthrough, If attacker kills BATS then he can automatically be the attacker in 1 battle next round no matter who plays what card.

2. Assasinate. (default = -1000VP). An important allied Commander is in the sector and the other side takes an opportunity to cause embarassment. Defender gets +100pts, but must purchase a command cruiser from one of his 2 allied races (lyran/Rom or Kzin/Gorn). Location map around the CC, so it may be a running battle. campaign effect = ally cost multiplier goes up 1 if the command cruiser is killed (i.e. becomes *4 instead of *3).

3. Meeting engagment (default -300VP) , standard fixed map style setup and more or less standard VPs, possibly with any terrain . No campaign effect.
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKerensky I do think we are on the ropes Sad but not down and out yet Razz , particularly as to win a ratio of 2:1 in VP’s is needed. Storelf I think we may need to look at this as we could end up with a campaigns going on a very long time, longer than we want.

To be honest I concur with the 2 points that Storelf made. The 2 player v one is a disadvantage and Jack is a fairly new player with his own idea etc. This can be frustrating but if I have to play with a wing man I would rather play with someone who has their own mind and not a puppet. Have said that the last 2 games we have been working a lot better together and Capt. Jack is starting to shine as a small ship commander.

The 2nd point about the difficulties for a Dis race in the type of scenarios we are playing is, I think very relevant, but this can be adjusted for by adding scenarios that are more pro Dis. I think we are going to have a look at the scenarios pack next week and see if we can thrash out some new ones and sort the mercantile one we were taking about. The types of game that lend to the Klinks tend to be longer but I’ve no problem with playing a game over a couple of sessions and as you know Storelf I can leave the game set up at mine.

Addition:A thought on ending the campaign, we Keep the 2:1 ratio, but also state something along the lines that if one side can’t field at lest a third of the pts. in total required for the scenarios at the beginning of a campaign turn due to attrition the other player has made a brake threw on the front and won.

Last edited by Targ on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose the Bats in the first scenario have special sensor? I ask as we have recently been playing one off scenarios with base with them, but this is the first campaign game were this question has come up. If it dose have sensor ( 4 for a Bats if I remember correctly) are we going to us the BOM rules as we did last time?
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BATH’LETH

Head line report from the Locale Front

Commander Jack (rumoured for promotion), returns with Capt. Bate in there battered E4’s.
I’ve been told that the crews of E4-17 & E4-PQ have not only been blooded, but have shown their true colours in a defiant in action against The Fed.

Not only did they fight their way out of a hard situation and survive but saw the Death of a hero.

Apparently Admiral Targ, who was rumoured to be in the area on a “training mission” on board theD6 IKV Inevitable, got caught up in the action. From what Com. Jack has said “….the Admiral showed great cunning and guile…., he gave myself and Capt. Bate the slim chance, which we took, to disengage, so we could keep fighting for the Empires glory….. “
The Admirals ship was last seen heading of in to The Fed’s space; no communications has been heard from him since,
Sources protected
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BATH’LETH

Rumpus at Dock 21

Has Admiral Targ not only returned from the dead but brought home spoils of War?

This reporter has not only seen with their own eyes the scarred but serviceable body of the D6 IKV Inevitable in dock, but the form of Admiral Targ appearing on the transport beck of BATS-14/10.

Rumours; not only did Adm. Targ make it home, but he brought one of The Feds CAs with him!!!

Stay tuned on VD3, to THE BATH’LETH
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on start of campaign round, which started last night.

The OOBs are:

Fed OOB (damage status)
DN
BC
CC
2 * CA
3 * CL
2 * DD (cripple)
2* DD
FF (10)
2 * FF
CVS [12* F-18]

C8
C8 (in repair, out of action)
D7C (in repair, out of action)
D7 (in repair, out of action)
D7
3 * D6
F5 (in repair, out of action)
2*F5
4 * E4

The battles above had the following sizes

BATS (800 card each, so 1100 pts battle)
Assasinate (700 cards each, 700 pt battle but 800 pts for defender)
Meeting engagement (500 fed, 100 klink, 300 pt battle)

We rolled for sides on the even battles, the klinks won both rolls, and choose defender (so as to get the 'free' pts for each battle).

So round 3 sees the Feds push hard against the klingons as their supplies dwindle follwing our succesful convoy raids. We commit our entire fleet except for the damaged ships. The klingons in order to halt us also have to commit the entire list of available ships. Large Fed carrier group heads for the local BATS in order to break through and rampage through the area, whilst a good force pounces on the opportunity to take out a Romulan VIP visiting the sector, taking him out will cause serious embarassment for the local Klink admiral. Meanwhile a small patrol meets a similar klingon patrol ini open space.

BATS:
Fed - BC, CC, CA, CA, CVS
Klink - BATS, C8, D7, D6, Rom SP-carrier

Assasinate:
Fed - DN, Cl, CL, DD, FF
Klink - Rom Novahawk, D6, F5, F5, E4, E4

Patrol:
Fed - CL, DD, FF
Kliink - D6, E4, E4

I'm (Fed) out pointed by a fair bit on the BATs, a small amount on the Assasinate and have a slight edge on the Patrol. Neither of us could fill up our points limits with the ships we had. So it should be quite a round.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've also had a discussion about exiting the map. Each scenario has appropiate disegagement edges, and ships going off the wrong edge are destroyed. In future we are goint to make it less drastic. A ship disengaging off the wrong edge will take 10-60 internals to represent it fighting back to its own lines. Small ships are at serious risk, whereas larger ships can withstand that unless damaged already.

This seems to fit in with a campaign better, we can keep fixed style maps without such a severe edge of universe sydrome.

If it seems it is getting badly abused then we may introduce a 1 turn delay before the ship arrives back at base as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: