Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

StoreyLF vs. ericphillips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: StoreyLF vs. ericphillips Reply with quote

We are starting up a campaign on FCOL. Its me (Eric) as the Feds vs. Lee as the Klingons. A classic battle.

We've put together a whole set of rules. I'll post them at some point, but for now, here is the campaign map:

BH=Black Hole
Pulsar=Pulsar
Null Space=Cannot be entered. Its some weird dark matter thing.
DUST, SM, MED, LG= Asteroids. Dust, small, medium, or large.
Nebula=Nebula

The planets are anything from a 1 hex rock world up to a ringed gas giant.

The object is to gain enough victory points to win by occupying planets.

Planets in the black neutral zone are worth one point per turn.

For the Feds, planets it occupies in the blue zone are worth zero; planets it occupies in the red zone are worth 2 points each.

For the Klingons, planets it occupies in the red zone are worth zero; planets it occupies in the blue zone are worth 2 points each.

Remember: the white zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only; there is no parking in the white zone. ;->

Last edited by ericphillips on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice map Cool
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The precursor to all out hostilities.

On Sunday the Klingon and Federation ambassadors got together to thrash out the details of a border dispute. The peacemongers of the Federation thought we meant 'talk', no, we meant 'thrash'! Whilst the Klingon flagship came back a bit bent out of shape (ok, a lot bent out of shape), that was nothing compared to the jolly good thrashing the Federation fleet took. The Federation have taken this to mean war (we of course assumed that was already the relationship), and both sides are now gearing up to fight over the area of space shown above. The future looks good for the glorious klingon empire.

Last edited by storeylf on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following entries have been added to the online tactical guidance for klingon commanders in the field, these entries are based on the feedback recieved from actual combat, and as such should be taken seriously.

Klingon Commanders Tactical Ship Handbook.

The following ships have been encountered being flown by the greengrocers of the Ferdation.

Destroyer:
Armed with some photons and multiple drones. Annoying as they can negate the otherwise superior drone firepower of the awesome deeep space fleet. Can sting somewhat if allowed to get close up. Target Priority = secondary.

Heavy cruiser:
With a possibly brutal photon volley and good phaser suites it is dangerous up close, but turns poorly and is easily outmanouvered by our cruisers. Target Priority = high.

Strike cruiser:
With a possibly brutal photon volley and good phaser suites it is danagerous up close, but turns poorly and is easily outmanouvered by our cruisers. It is somewhat more fragile than the heavy cruiers but has more power for systems. Target Priority = very high

Dreadnought:
ROFL, we have old cruisers with more fire power. It is rumored to be able to turn. It does however come with top line catering facilities and a good indoor golf course for flag officers. Target Priority = mopping up phase.

Last edited by storeylf on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a good learning experience. I chose ships I never play. There are tons of Fed ships, but you never realize how few you actually use in 450 tourneys and even most scenarios.

But in a campaign you can really try out the other ships. So this will take some adjustments.

The Fed FJ DN (180 points) is a lousy ship. Its a cow, and is nothing more than a battle cruiser with no drones. Ugh.

The problem is (and by problem I mean something that makes the campaign cooler) is we will be using a tmeline, so later ships are not available at first, and the Feds get a little more effective later on.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I misspelled my name in the subject line.

[Mod: OK, it's fixed now ...]
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that that is the middle years fed dreadnaught right? Or is that where you are starting your campaign?
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what is available. We were playing with only ships available on the first turn of the game, essentially Y167. I took it because we are using the flexible command system so it let me have more ships overall, and its cheap. Its just... lame.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To feel somewhat better about it, don't think of it as a DN, but rather an extremely early heavy battlecruiser. It has roughly the firepower of a heavy battlecruiser, is available *way* earlier, and costs about the same. But, it has the added bonus that it takes a while to kill.

So, yes, it is a lame dreadnought. But it is a pretty handy super-heavy cruiser ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Dreadnaught:
ROFL, we have old cruisers with more fire power. It is rumored to be able to turn. It does however come with top line catering facilities and a good indoor golf course for flag officers. Target Priority = mopping up phase.

Heheheh, I love it! And don't forget about the bowling alley - a requirement in all Federation ships! Smile

The campaign sounds fun. I look forward to hearing more as it goes on.

Garrett
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
To feel somewhat better about it, don't think of it as a DN, but rather an extremely early heavy battlecruiser. It has roughly the firepower of a heavy battlecruiser, is available *way* earlier, and costs about the same. But, it has the added bonus that it takes a while to kill.

So, yes, it is a lame dreadnought. But it is a pretty handy super-heavy cruiser ...

Roughly the fire power of a heavy battlecruiser... pff. Clearly the soft Federation have no idea how to arm warships, if that is roughly the firepower of the heavy battlecruiser they have on their drawing boards I suggest they start again. Surely, you mean it has roughly the firepower of a heavy cruiser, but with an even more limited ability to turn*

The official Fed nomenclature may be Dreadnought (Franz Joseph design), but the Klingon nickname for this ship is NoughtToDread.

*Klingon intelligence is going over recent battle data to ascertain whether this design is a result of Federation-Gorn collaboration, as it appears that it may be on a par with their barges in space when it comes to manouvering.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like that ship quite a lot. But thats just me I suppose, are you playing with rules that allow refits?
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I actually like that ship quite a lot. But thats just me I suppose, are you playing with rules that allow refits?

No, just a general introduction date. Although the DD does get a refit as there is the "Advanced War" version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: