Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd FCOL Tournament Draft Rules: Please Review and Comment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Just two things that jump out at me:

The 5 turn limit. I understanding the reasoning for it, but it still seems a little tight. Perhaps 6 turns (would 7 be too much)? Thoughts?

4 weeks to get a game in? Would 3 be better to help move it along?

Jim, PM or email me and let me know how/what you would like me to help with. Thanks,

Garrett

Oh yeah, count me in as a player, too!
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the Andromedans, should they have a limit requiring them to only take satellite ships that their motherships have room in their hangars for, unless the SatShip has its own displacement device (such as a Python)?

And what about Energy Modules?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are andros available online?
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Andromedans are not available in FCOL yet. Actually, none of the War & Peace ships are, except for the ISC and Vudar CA, I think (and I don't know if their specific weapons function correctly yet).

Garrett
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gar1138 wrote:
The Andromedans are not available in FCOL yet. Actually, none of the War & Peace ships are, except for the ISC and Vudar CA, I think (and I don't know if their specific weapons function correctly yet).

Garrett

The Vudar IPG should be working now. I had Paul add that when I did the ship card. The PPD is another matter....
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion in regard to the Andromendans. Obviously, there is nearly zero chance they will be in FC Online by Febriuary 1st, but there might be a small chance if we are unable to get started before March 1st.

Krellex -- Any guess in regard to when the rest of the Vudar might get in FC Online?

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Vudar, are you sure the IPG and Ion Cannons are working in FCOL? I can't select or fire the IPG at all, and there isn't any way to start the arming process for the Ion Cannons.

From what I can tell, none of the new weapons or systems from War & Peace have been implemented in the client yet (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Garrett
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDauphinais wrote:
Good suggestion in regard to the Andromendans. Obviously, there is nearly zero chance they will be in FC Online by Febriuary 1st, but there might be a small chance if we are unable to get started before March 1st.

Krellex -- Any guess in regard to when the rest of the Vudar might get in FC Online?

We'd have to ask Paul that. The batch I have right now contains Feds, Klingons, Rommies, Kzintis and Tholians.

@Gar1138
I never tested functionality, but I had to have Paul add the IPG and Ion Cannons to the client so I could put them on the ships.
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest and greatest version of the draft tournament rules follow below. Note that I now have a six turn limit rather than a five turn limit. I have also shortened the playtime to 25 days to provide some margin for me to get the player matchups for the next round completed before the 1st of each month. Also, I have clarified scoring (see Number of Rounds), "byes" and adjudication a bit further. I have also added the e-mail addresses for Garrett and myself. I have added a purchase restriction on Andromedan Cobras and Mambas. Finally, I have added a safety net to further ensure that we do not end up with too many players selecting the same empire.

Please take a look at the draft and let me know if anything is troublesome enough to be worth further revision.

Also, please vote in the poll I have posted regarding a start date.

Thanks,

Jim

-------------------------

1st REVISED DRAFT 2nd Federation Commander Online Tournament Rules

1. CORE TOURNAMENT RULES

The 2010 Origins Federation Commander Tournament Rules (http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2900) and their associated clarifications apply except as clarified or amended by the rules which follow below.

2. FC SHIP AND WEAPON PURCHASE RESTRICTIONS

All normal Federation Commander ship and weapon purchase restriction rules apply in addition to all other tournament purchase restrictions on ships and weapons.

GM Comment: This should be obvious, but just in case it is not, I am explicitly stating it.

3. FC: WAR & PEACE

To the extent their ships are available in FC Online prior to the start date of the tournament, the Andromendan, ISC and Vudar are available for selection as an empire by players. Andromedan Cobras and Mambas may only be purchased to the extent they can fit into the hangar space of the other Andromedan ships that are purchased.

GM Comment: Other than possibly not being included in FC Online, there is no longer a reason to hold these empires out of the online tournaments with FC: War & Peace and its associated booster packs having been released over six months ago.

4. FRAX

To the extent its ships are available in FC Online prior to the start of the tournament, the Frax are available for selection as an empire by players. Since the Frax are currently only available via e23, players selecting the Frax as their empire may treat the following Frax ship cards from e23 FRAX Packs #1, #2 and #3 as if they were laminated ship cards: BCH, CA, CC, CF, CW, CWD, CWL, DN, DW, DWD, FF and POL. Frax Submarines and ships with Axion Torpedoes are not in play.

GM Comment: It is not likely this simulator empire will make it to laminated cards anytime soon. However, this interesting empire’s manifest of ship cards has been nearly fully filled out via e23 and it does not require any special rules to play. Furthermore, many of its ships are already available on FC Online.

5. HYDRANS

Players that select the Hydrans as their empire must purchase at least one ship that is not arrned with Hellbores.

GM Comment: It has been my experience that many players who favor the Hydrans will only buy Hellbore ships. Such ship selection undercuts some of the flavor of this empire. This is why have proposed the above tournament rule. This said, if there is a strong outcry against this idea, I’ll drop it from these tournament rules.

6. WEAPON LAYOUTS

For ships that have multiple possible weapon layouts (e.g., most Orion Pirate ships), players may only purchase ships with weapon layouts that are available within FC Online prior to the start date of the tournament.

GM Comment: This is to minimize the amount of manual tracking needed in order reduce the chance for confusion or misunderstandings between players.

7. PLASMA G, S AND R TORPEDO TUBES

For purposes of this tournament, ships with Plasma G, S or R torpedo tubes may choose to start a scenario with all such tubes holding their second turn of arming energy. Such ships may not count their batteries toward their starting energy except that the number of batteries left empty will not exceed the power it would take to pay for the second turn of Plasma G/S/R arming. Ships that have weapons that can start a scenario pre-loaded must also elect to pre-load those weapons if the player elects to have that ship to start with the second turn of arming completed for its Plasma G, S and R tubes. The opposite applies as well.

GM Comment: We are playing with this unofficial playtest rule in order to provide a little bit of help to the Plasma empires.

8. PARTICLE CANNONS

For purposes of this tournament, the three impulse delay for Particle Cannons (4P1b) does not extend over turn breaks.

GM Comment: We are playing with this unofficial playtest rule in order to give a little bit of help to the Seltorians.

9. POINT VALUE FACTORS

For purposes of this tournament, the printed point value and cost of all ships and weapons are adjusted by multiplying those values by the following factor for each empire:

• 1.10: Kzinti
• 1.05: Federation and Orion Pirates
• 1.00: Andromedan, Frax, ISC, Klingon, LDR, Vudar and Wyn
• 0.96: Gorn, Hydran and Lyran
• 0.92: Romulan, Seltorian and Tholian

If after all players select their empires more than 25% of the participants select the same empire, the GM will boost the factor for that empire by one level and give all players who selected that empire the opportunity to select another empire. If this still results in more than 25% of the participants selecting the same empire, once again the affected empire's factor will be bosted one level and the GM will once again give all players who selected that empire the opportunity to select another empire. This will continue until no more than 25% of the participants have selected the same empire.

GM Comment: The purpose of this rule is to help to minimize the empire selection bunching that dominated the 1st FC Online Tournament. In general, the idea is that the empires that are both popular and viewed as difficult to defeat in the tournament setting have the greatest premium applied to their purchases. Empires that are unpopular and viewed as difficult to prevail with in the tournament setting have the greatest discount applied to their purchases. Hopefully, this will reduce the likelihood that the final rounds of the tournament devolve into a civil war to determine the final winner!

I expect that from tournament to tournament the discount and premium applied to each empire will move around as players gain more experience with various empires and new tactics are uncovered.

10. SHIP SELECTION

The GM of the tournament shall set a date for ship selections and only ships available in the Federation Commander Online Client as of that date shall be eligible for selection. All purchased ships and selected weapons layouts are subject to final approval by the GM. Weapon layouts may not be changed over the course of the tournament.

11. TIME LIMIT

Games shall last for six (6) turns or until one player concedes. You don't have to play all six turns at once. You'll have 25 days to get the game in, and it should be possible to save the game in mid-game. In general, player match ups will be provided by the GM in consultantion with the Assitant GM by the 1st of each month and results must reported by players back to the GM and Assistant by the 26th of each month.

GM Comment: I have reduced the time limit to six turns to better ensure games are completed in a timely fashion and to return the time limit closer to that which would be experienced at Origins. Six turns will allow two-turn loading weapons to fire up to three times and three-turn loading weapons up to two times with a turn to spare.

12. COMMUNICATION BETWEEN GM AND PLAYERS

The GM shall post deadline and match-up information on the federationcommander.com site. The GM shall also email players with this information. Announcements may also be posted on the starfleetgames Discus forums and/or the ADB, Inc. Facebook page. While the GM shall make every effort to ensure that players are adequately informed, it is the responsibility of the players to make sure they know the deadlines and matchups, and understand the rules. The GM shall post deadline and match-up information on the Federation Commander Forum.

13. EMAILS TO THE GM AND ASSISTANT GM

All emails to the GM and Assistant GM must have the name of the tournament in the subject line (e.g. "FCOL Tournament #2") or else the email wasn't sent. (This is to make it easy for the GM and Assistant GM to find the email(s) later.)

GM: jimdauphinais@aol.com

Assistant GM: gar1138@yahoo.com

14. SIGNUP

Players sign up by sending an email to the GM and Assistant GM. Once all the players are signed up, the GM and the Assistant GM, will set a date for the ship selections (to determine which ships are available for selection) and players have one week after that date to select their squadron and email their squadron to the GM and Assistant GM.

15. PLAY DEADLINES

Once the Players are informed of their match-ups, they must arrange between each other a mutually agreeable time to play the game on FCOL. The Players shall have 25 days to make these arrangements and complete the game. It's up to both players to actively pursue the match; if one player makes a reasonable effort to arrange a game and another does not, the first player is awarded a win. If neither does, both are awarded a loss. "Reasonable effort" is in the judgment of the GM and Assistant GM. All emails between players attempting to arrange a game should be carbon-copied (cc'ed) to the GM and Assistant GM so that the GM and Assistant GM have evidence that players are actively pursuing the match-up. If both players are actively pursuing the match but circumstances beyond the players' control prevent it from happening, the GM and Assistant GM will adjudicate a result. If the GM and Assistant GM do not have a consensus on the adjudication, the game will default to both players earning a draw result.

16. NUMBER OF ROUNDS

The number of rounds will be a function of the number of participants. For example, if there are five to eight participants, it will take four rounds to determine a winner. If there are nine to 16 participants, it will take five rounds to determine a winner.

This will be a Swiss-style tournament. As such, all participants will play in each round and all players will be ranked at the end of the tournament. Points will be awared to players as follows: "Win" 2 points, "Draw" 1 point and "Loss" 0 points. To the extent a “bye” is necessary for a particular round due to an odd number of players, except for the first round, it will be assigned as a "draw" to the player with the lowest score in the tournament at that time (random selection will be used by the GM and Assistant GM to resolve any “ties”). If a “bye” is needed for the first round, it will be granted to the participant who had the highest score in the Origins 2010 Federation Commander Tournament as a "win".

17. RULINGS

Federation Commander rules questions will be resolved on the Federation Commander Forum by Mike West when possible. When this is not possible, they will be resolved by consensus of the GM and Assistant GM.

All tournament rules questions will be resolved by consensus of the GM and Assistant GM.

For games involving the GM, the Assistant GM will resolve all tournament rules questions for that game.

For games involving the Assistant GM, the GM will resolve all tournament rules questions for that game.

In the event the GM and Assistant GM face each other in a game, another participant in the tournament will be recruited by the GM and Assistant GM to resolve all tournament questions for that game.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the rules for this tournament. I have only one change I would make:

JimDauphinais wrote:
If after all players select their empires more than 25% of the participants select the same empire, the GM will boost the factor for that empire by one level and give all players who selected that empire the opportunity to select another empire. If this still results in more than 25% of the participants selecting the same empire, once again the affected empire's factor will be bosted one level and the GM will once again give all players who selected that empire the opportunity to select another empire. This will continue until no more than 25% of the participants have selected the same empire.

I think you should allow the players to switch, and if they don't then raise it up. But make it blind... let them decide to switch or not before revealing the upping or who changes.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a “bye” is needed for the first round, it will be granted to the participant who had the highest score in the Origins 2010 Federation Commander Tournament as a "win".

Can you not go for something that any entrant can be given, Those who don't or can't go to origins are somewhat disdvantaged by the above rule (e.g. those living outside the US).

Even a random Bye at least gives any one a chance.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you should allow the players to switch, and if they don't then raise it up. But make it blind... let them decide to switch or not before revealing the upping or who changes

I don't particularly like this idea because I don't want players gambling on whether or not the empire's ship and weapons point values will actually be raised following a warning. Also, it cound increase the number of times I have to increment up the factor slowing down the empire selection process (e.g., if everybody who selected that empire decides to play a game of "chicken" and hang on).

A player is either willing to accept the higher cost or not. If they are, then they will pay it. If not, they can choose another empire.

Last edited by JimDauphinais on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for awarding a "win" bye for the first round the way I have proposed was to help reduce the likelihood the bye would unduly awarded.

This said, I am open to a random selection of a "win" bye for the first round if their is a consensus in favor of it. Obviously, the bye will only happen if we have an odd number of participants.

As an aside, I will add a provision that no player shall receive more than one "bye" over the course of the tournament.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDauphinais wrote:
As an aside, I will add a provision that no player shall receive more than one "bye" over the course of the tournament.

That might not work, A five player tourney with 4 rounds would mean that in the final round one of the top 2 players who may be neck and neck and playing to win the tourney will have to take a 'draw' (as the other 3 will have already have had a bye) whist the other top player gets to play and possible win. That could be a serious downer.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the point adjustments for Empires, I think the Gorn and Tholians should be switched. Tholians should probably be .96 and Gorns .92 (or at the very least, leave the Tholians and move the Gorns to .92). The Tholians have so many phasers that they could be unfairly advantaged as .92. Thoughts? Thanks,

Also, when picking ships, everyone should verify that their selected ships are actually in the on-line client and function correctly (I really don't expect anything from War & Peace to be in for awhile, but that is just my guess).

Garrett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: