Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ship selection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Ship selection Reply with quote

Is there any reason why anyone, given the choice, would take a D7 over a D5W?

The D5W has heavier shielding, better disruptor arcs and an extra ADD for a minor 10-point BPV difference.

In the same vein, is there any reason to take a Hydran Dragoon rather than a (cheaper, with more useful firing arcs) Iroqouis?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had the chance to play in awhile, but personally preferred the D5 itself for the better turn mode --
Yes, its down a bit on power compared to the D5W, but the Move cost pretty much make that irrelevent anyways --
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ship selection Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Is there any reason why anyone, given the choice, would take a D7 over a D5W?

The D5W has heavier shielding, better disruptor arcs and an extra ADD for a minor 10-point BPV difference.

I don't know if this would be a choice, but in SFB the D7 came out a number of years before D5W (New Heavy Cruiser), so if you are trying to make a historical match, that might be the reason. But if the years work differently in FC and things are all supposed to be around the same time period . . .

When I have seen posts about the topic on the SFB board and in Starfleet Command PC game discussions, the main reason that the older CA hulls would be favored would be because they are more robust and have more staying power if things get ugly. The reason makes sense, but I always like relying on advantages like a better power curve and better arcs like you said, rather than durability -- a lot of the time, if you need the durability to survive something, then you made a mistake anyway (this is my inner Klink talking, and I'm sure some Hydran/Gorn players have had experiences were being tough has been a larger advantage than it would be to a Klingon).
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the D5 does cost more, in a squadron fight those 10 pts may mean a difference on what other ships you can afford. e.g D5 and D6 vs 2 * D7 (not a great example, but you get the point)

Those 10 pts can mean the difference between victory and defeat - that crippled D5 gave up more 15VP (10Vp for not having 10 fewer BPV to start with and 5VP for the more expensive crippled ship).

Campaigns may see you with a plentiful supply of 7s vs a small handful of 5s so you may want to preserve the 5s for really important battles.

As to the hydran arcs, I rather like those over the shoulder fire arcs on the dragoon, they are useful when you want keep the range open. The disrupter arcs on the D5W are good because they allow you to fire without actually turning at the enemy, the same principle applies with the Dragoon.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly prefer the D5W. There are only 3 times that I take a D7 (or D7C):
1. When I want variety.
2. When I am playing against someone new and I want to give them a better advantage.
[EDIT: new reason I forgot about] 3. I take a D7C when I need a lot of transporters (e.g. 7 hit and runs in one impulse on 7 Juggernaut Ph-4 was very useful a couple of months ago).

Otherwise, if taking a D5W forces me to take a smaller ship elsewhere in the fleet that is usually an acceptable trade-off.

I always prefer a Dragoon (or Ranger) over their NCA counterparts for the following reasons:
1. After movement I rarely have enough power to fully overload 4 heavy weapons (Hellbore/Fusion) in one turn. I usually have enough power to fire 2 overloaded heavy weapons one turn.

2. Given point 1, the Dragoon/Ranger give me a possible 240 degree arc for those two overloaded heavy weapons. The NCAs only give me 120 degrees.

3. After firing off those 2 heavy weapons, on the next turn it is easier for me to maneuver to get a "L" or "R" shot (instead of another "FA" shot) with the remaining two heavy weapons.

Also, given a choice I will always choose a Dragoon/Ranger over the Lord Bishop/Marshall CCs. Hydrans already have enough of a phaser deficiency without losing two more phasers to two addtional heavy weapons that I won't have the power for anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: