Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd FCOL Tournament:Information, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial multipliers were intially selected based on both popularity and performance. It is intentional that poor performers that are very popular are costly.

In the 2nd FC Online Tournament we almost had five Fed players even with the 1.05 multiplier.

Even with their relatively poor average performance in the 2nd Tournament, we have already had two players select them for the 3rd FC Online Tournament despite their multiplier remaining at 1.05.

Also, a very good player can win tournaments with them as demonstrated at the Origins 2009 Tournament. Finally, Archer demonstrated in the 2nd FC Online tournament that the Feds are still quite competitive with a 1.05 multiplier.

I will also add that, in my opinion, one of the factors driving average Fed performance in tournaments is their popularity with relatively inexperienced players.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDauphinais wrote:

Also, a very good player can win tournaments with them as demonstrated at the Origins 2009 Tournament. Finally, Archer demonstrated in the 2nd FC Online tournament that the Feds are still quite competitive with a 1.05 multiplier.

I will also add that in my opinion, one of the factors driving average Fed performance in tournaments is their popularity with relatively inexperienced players.

Absolutely, that is what I was trying to say in maybe not the best way. Larger numbers means more tendency to some 'average'. Whilst the average can be low there can still be top players who will consistently win with them.

My slight concern is whether popularity adjustments may push away a few people who don't see the point of playing because their favourite empire has been handicapped for reasons unrelated to performance. Given a choice between fewer players and more players who just happen to want to play XXX I'd go for the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: