Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scanning Cards for FCOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Scanning Cards for FCOL Reply with quote

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to do this. I am not happy with the image quality I get scanning to PDF, even at 600 dpi. I don't know a way to scan directly into photoshop. Is there a way to scan to a no loss TIFF? Any other ideas?
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are on Windows, otherwise this might not have anything to do with how Macs do it.

When you installed the drivers for your scanner, it should have also installed the TWAIN drivers. This allows other programs to directly use the device.

If they are installed you can do this in Photoshop:

Go to the File menu, down to Import...

You should see a listing for TWAIN or the name of your scanner. Choose it and it should directly control your scanner.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't SVC send Paul Franz the image files for conversion into FCOL ship defs?
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but Patrick needs his BCH faster than that project will take, but I am not getting acceptable images at the moment.

If anyone can get a good, usable jpg for the Lyran BCH, please let me know.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was published in Communique 16, so I solved that problem. I know someone here makes counters. If that person reads this and can send me a counter for it, that would be great. If not, Paul will either assign one or it will use a generic counter.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Rock wrote:
It was published in Communique 16, so I solved that problem. I know someone here makes counters. If that person reads this and can send me a counter for it, that would be great. If not, Paul will either assign one or it will use a generic counter.

Paul, counter for the Lyran BCH emailed to you.

Garrett
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both Eric and Garrett. I would have saved a lot of my time had I noticed your emails in time. Smile

In any event, the BCH with counter has been sent to Paul for uploading and sent to Patrick so if he plays before Paul uploads it, he can send the files to his opponents.

This is something I am always happy to do for the tournaments, btw, so when you are making your fleets, don't feel restricted by the Library. Just make sure you can find some source for the ship picture, since apparently, for me at least - not sure how Eric did it - scanning does not work well.

I might have a cheap scanner or I might not know how to use it well, not sure which.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm, I certainly don't want to create any kind of an issue, but I thought that ship selection was limited to what was actually in the FCOL client by June 24th.

Quote:
10. SHIP SELECTION

The GM of the tournament shall set a dedline for ship selections (June 28, 2011 for this tournament). Only ships available in the Federation Commander Online Client as of June 24, 2011 are available for use. All purchased ships and selected weapon layouts are subject to final approval by the GM and Assistant GM. Weapon layouts may not be changed over the course of the tournament.

I'm not necessarily suggesting anything change at this point, I'm more interested in identifying if there is an issue and how to correct it for the future.

Garrett
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to allow it because it wasn't caught up to now and Paul had previously made a general offer to everyone to add ships to the client as necessary for tournament.

This said, the added ship needs to be added to the FC Online library ASAP. I won't allow any ships to be used that require users to manually add them to their client. So, if it doesn't get into the master FC Online libary in time to be used in July, the ship is out. Also, I won't allow it to be the hold up for the start of Patrick's 1st Round match. So, hopefully, adding it to the master FC Online library will not be an issue.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the library now.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the Lyran BCH now in the FCOL has a few issues that should be noted before playing the tourney games.

1. The turn mode is listed as B, but the ship should actually have a turn mode of C.

2. The Marines are listed at 10, but should actually be 25.

3. The Damage Control is listed as 4, but should actually be 6.

Just wanted to note those so the correct values can be used during the tourney games. Thanks,

Garrett
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty ugly.

I'd like to see the communique verison replaced with the laminated card version when possible to eliminate this issue. There must have been a lot of changes between the Communique and laminated versions.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gahh, the BVP is going to be wrong too. I totally forgot to edit that tab. I'll fix and see if Paul can upload again quickly.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed version is now with Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: