Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donjebruche Campaign: In Character
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Donjebruche Campaign: In Character Reply with quote

The story so far:

Intro wrote:
You are down on your luck in Donjebruche. If you don't make some cred soon, you could get on the wrong side of some bad people. This leaves you not being particularly picky about what sorts of jobs you take on. You might have come out onto the frontier to try to strike it rich in some crazy scheme only to lose your shirt. You might be on the run from the bad people of some other star system.

At any rate... you've taken a job with an elderly Andorian named Tarsh. Nothing fancy-- he's picking up a package from a Cromarg named X'al Fen. Tarsh is supposed to meet him at 8:30 at the Grey Banshee. Tarsh is expecting trouble, so he wants a couple of PC's to go in early and make sure the place is safe. After they give the signal that all is well, they are to remain positioned for backup if things get ugly. The rest of the PC's are to go in with Tarsh for the pickup-- providing (hopefully) a sufficiently intimidating show of force so that things don't get ugly in the first place!


Prelude wrote:
All right... it's a pretty scuzzy dive. There's all manner of spacers, malcontents, and toughs scattered through the room.

You notice some hulking cat men and a large spider-like crustacean type creature. Before you can really size anyone up, though, you are struck by the fantastically beautiful Orion woman at the bar. The empty bar stool by her side is strangely alluring to you....

[You make a will roll and roll a 14. Fail!]

and you find yourself forgetting your mission temporarily as you walk toward her.

You take a seat next to her.

She looks askance at you and says, "hello, sailor. Buy me a drink?"

The bustle around you blurs together and you seem to have trouble focusing temporarily. You notice the barkeep several seats down from you serving a couple of Klingons.

(The Klingons are off toward your right, midway down the bar. The bar wraps around in a big, long "U" shape. You're at the bottom of the "U" with your back to the door. There are tables behind you and booths against either side of the wall.)

Captain Jack: I'm going to enjoy my drink, chat with the orion lady, and spend a little time watching the klingons...

You don't recognize the drink that your lady friend orders, but you see the bartender use an excessive amount of Zoolean Brandy when he mixes it. When the bartender brings your drinks, he winks at you.

You chat with the mind bogglingly beautiful Orion...

[Reaction roll... a 12]

... and you think your familiarity with Orion culture is making you seem pretty sophisticated. It might be enough to make her like you... a little... uh... maybe. Before you can rethink your conversational approach, however, you sense a presence directly behind you. Just as you feel a pair of rough fingers tap your shoulder (perhaps it was a jab?), you notice that one of the Klingons is looking in your direction as he speaks to his friend. The Orion lady might have a wry grin on your face as you turn...

There behind you, you see the ugliest Fralli you have ever seen looks at you with contempt.

"Listen, bub... just what exactly are you doing in my seat?"

Captain Jack: "Oh, my apologies." I wink at the nice Orion lady, "glad to meet you ma'am. " and I get up and make my way out of the bar.

You have a sinking feeling that maybe winking at the girl was just a little bit too much for your Frallish friend to take. Or maybe he simply has "short Fralli" complex. You hear a grinding sound from deep inside his nose-- it sounds halfway between a growling dog and a braying donkey.

Before you can extricate yourself from the scene, he shoves you. He draws himself up (as best as he can) to his full height.

[You make a Streetwise roll to see if you can come up with anything to help. You roll a 14. Nothing comes to you except maybe to try to look tough enough to make him think twice about going too far here.]

Both Klingons are paying close attention now....

[Okay, contest of skills between your Intimidation of 11 and his Will of 10. You roll a 10 and he rolls an 8. Both succeed, so you roll again. You roll a 14 and he rolls a 10. Oh no! He's lost his temper and is not cowed by you at all... he hauls off and throws a swing at you!]

[The Fralli executes a "determined" all-out attack for a bonus of +4 to-hit. He gets a +1 bonus to-hit for evaluating you for one second before throwing the punch. He is swinging all-out for your face, so that's -5-- canceling out the bonuses exactly. His brawling skill is 11, but you don't *have* to know that. He rolls... an 11!]

[You may parry or dodge on 9 or less. If you choose to retreat by stepping backwards, you may parry on a 10 or less or dodge on a 12 or less. Doing so will not spoil your to-hit bonus for evaluating your opponent.]

Captain Jack: I will step backwards to dodge, and after I attempt to dodge, I'm going to quickdrawl my phaser, and hope I remembered leave it on stun, and attack.

The band stops playing temporarily and...

[You roll a 12-- narrowly dodging the punch. That was close! Good thing you could step back....]

[Your fast-draw skill is at 12-- and you roll a 6! Man, you look like a pro pulling it out of the holster. Not quite critical success territory, but very good.]

[No penalties for speed, range, or size. You pistol skill is at 13... and you roll an 11. You nail the Fralli! Rolling for location... a 16... his right foot! His right foot? That's too weird. Reroll that... and... it's a 16?! Well... I guess it was meant to be.]

You step back, dodging the Fralli's brutish swing as you instantly have out your phaser. You deftly shoot him in the right foot-- a location perfect for maximizing his embarrassment, it seems. The Fralli teeters past you and crashes into a table. The two Dukars sitting there are at their feet instantly as the Fralli collapses onto the floor in a puddle of alcohol.

The Klingons roar with laughter and congratulate you on the maneuver, slapping you on the back.

The Orion lady cries, "oh Foo-foo!" She rushes to the Fralli's side and helps him. He insists he's fine as she helps him toward the exit.

And the band starts playing again!

[You score one character points for handling the scene without embarrassing yourself and for dealing with the Fralli without hurting him or anyone else. You also have a temporary rep as being someone not to mess with. Congratulations!]

You have a little bit of time to mill around some and check out the place, but it is just about time to call your patron, Tarsh.

If there's anything in particular you want to try or examine before calling Tarsh, you may describe what you want to do and how you want to do it. Otherwise, you can describe how you contact Tarsh and what you say to him. (So far you don't detect anything that would be an overt threat to him-- nothing appears suspicious so far.)

Captain Jack: I'll finish my drink if there is any left, and wait for Tarsh. Briefly comment to the barkeep: "Sorry about the mess..."



...


Tarsh and Marcus arrive at about 8:15PM, expecting to meet the X'al Fen at 8:30PM. There's no sign of the Cromarg, yet. Tarsh orders an Andorian whiskey. The waitress asks Marcus what he'll be having.

Meanwhile, over at the bar. One of the Klingon Warriors is rambling on and on about serving on the Kzinti front. He is obsessed with the tactic of using a T-bomb to eliminate drones, and seems to think that Captain Jack would like to know exactly how to pull this off.

[What do y'all do?]


Last edited by Jeffr0 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus waves off the waitress saying "Nothing right now." Prefering to stay sharp while he is working. He eyes the Klingons suspiciously knowing they are usually a sign of trouble.

Last edited by paul on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack keeps listening to the Klingon, while observing what's going on with Tarsh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Captain Jack:
The Klingon drones on and on. It is extremely difficult to feign interest in the conversation as he won't let you get a word in edgewise. [Captain Jack rolls 3d6+2... and the total of 10 is less than his will score of 13.] In a supreme feat of mental control, you manage to avoid losing focus. You are able to pay attention both to the Klingon and to what's going on in the bar without appearing rude. The Klingon slams his hand on the table and several bar-goers jump slightly in response as he exclaims, "you see, my friend, you must set the T-bomb to ignore the first two drones, otherwise you'll only take out one or two of them!"

To Marcus Kane:
When you refuse to order a drink, you are a little worried that the waitress might take offense. [The waitress rolls to react to Marcus with a -2 penalty-- the roll of 2d6-2 comes out to an 11.] She doesn't even raise an eyebrow, however... but you haven't impressed anyone positively. Tarsh intervenes and speaks to you quietly, "Marcus, I believe it is customary to order drinks when conducting business in an establishment such as." He then turns to the waitress and asks her to bring you an Andorian Whiskey as well.

At about this moment, [To Be Determined] arrives... along with the hulking form of Skexis, the incredibly large Cat-Man. "Ah; I'm glad you boys could make it," Tarsh says to them. The waitress looks at the towering cat thing and then looks at the pitifully small chair that is next to Tarsh. "I'll get you a bigger chair, darling," the waitress says to Skexis.

...

Time slips by.

X'al Fen should be here by now. Tarsh begins to get agitated and starts looking at his chronometer every minute or so.

[What do y'all do now?]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the approval of his employer, Marcus drinks the Whiskey down. Slamming the glass on the table. Waving to the waitress for another.


Occ: Since he has alcohol tolerance he can drink a few and not be too affected. Plus he is overconfident. Very Happy Sorry for the post change.


Last edited by paul on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack smiles, tells the klingon "Your wisdom will not be forgotten anytime soon! May your enemy's weep at your victories!" And He walks toward Marcus and Tarsh with his drink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Kane:
The Andorian Whiskey has a heavy kick. You're not sure, but there might be something wrong with the replicators here. [You would have failed the HT roll, but your +2 bonus for Alcohol Tolerance saved you from a lingering DX and HT penalty.] After the second one, you don't feel so good... but somehow your liver rises to the occasion. Tarsh hasn't seemed to notice anything wrong with his drink, yet-- but he doesn't seem like the carousing bar-going type. In fact, he seems like a real "square".

Captain Jack:
Before you can sit down with Tarsh and company, a slight man with beady eyes-- and whose face is horribly disfigured on the right side-- approaches you. "Hey buddy... I've got the thrill of a lifetime right here...!" [Successful Streetwise roll.] You realize that this must be some sort of pusher trying to sell you recreational pharmaceuticals.

Tarsh say's he can't stand it when business associates are not punctual-- especially when it is this sort of business. He then utters a string of curses upon X'al Fen for being so late-- something about the variety of radiation sickness that the Cromarg's mother suffered from...! "If I don't have that package in 15 minutes...." But Tarsh doesn't finish his sentence. "A deal's a deal!" he exclaims.

[What now, folks?]

[Edited to apply +2 bonus for Alcohol Tolerance for Marcus.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus winces at the nasty tasting whiskey, not remembering it tasting this bad he passes on the next round. He says to Tarsh,"No offense but that is the worst tasting Andorian whiskey I ever had. I'd be careful of that stuff!" He then cotinues looking around to make sure everything is on the up and up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus surveys the room full of scum, thugs, and prostitutes.

[Marcus rolls against his Streetwise skill.]

To the extent that everything can be on the up and up, it appears to be. But between the riff raff and the bad whiskey, it's a little hard to tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus just sits and waits for Tarsh to decide what he is going to next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack joins them group and sits down and waits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time rolls on.... Tarsh continues to sip his (horrible) drink occasionally-- he's almost mechanical about it as if he's following a to-do list of things to make it look like he's being sociable.

...

X'al Fen must be 20 minutes late by now.

...

Tarsh stands suddenly-- so suddenly that several patrons reach for their weapons. He says nothing to you, but turns suddenly and storms out of the bar.

[What now?]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting his hand on his phaser Marcus quickly gets up and follows his employer rushing in front of him leading him out the door. Watching for danger as they exit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo_billbo
Commander


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 428
Location: Danville, PA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack gets up, staying action alert, and follows Tarsh out the door.

He's specifically looking around for clues for an ambush.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeffr0
Commander


Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[To be Determined] and Skexis follow you outside.

Tarsh is in a rage. He swears for nearly a minute about X'al Fen's irradiated ancestry. He then gives Marcus a piece of paper. "That's X'al Fen's address. I don't have any more time to waste on that radioactive son-of-a-grau-beast. I'll be at the Voyager's Refuge. Bring him to me!" He then storms off into the darkness.

[Quick Contest-- Captain Jack @ 9... then opponent at 14. (3d6=9, 3d6=11) Both succeed, but opponent succeeds by 3.]

[Quick Contest-- Captain Jack @ 13... then opponent at 14. (3d6=5, 3d6=13) Not quite a critical success, but Jack succeeds by a stellar 8 points compared with his opponent's 1.]

[GM Note: Cultural Familiarity gave Jack the edge here-- Marcus was stuck with a -3 penalty.]

Captain Jack... you realize that "Tarsh" is not as he seems. The cadences of his cursing and the undertones of his personality are distinctly Klingon. You might not have caught this had he not genuinely lost his temper here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 1 of 71

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group