Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A shield question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azureace
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: A shield question Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound very boneheaded but another player and myself came to a little snag in our game tonight,

two of my shield arcs are down #5 and #6 and as the rules state I can't reinforce them via the bats and when i said no worries bout that she(the lady i was playing at the store and her "mentor") is claiming I can't transfer as per 3c3b or regen via 3c8 during my repair phase due to the rule citing that the shields can only be transferred to or regenerated IF there was something actually left in those shield facings.

Another question since she has the e23 copy of the RRB she stated she could Drop her shields then bring them back 2 impulses later as per the rules even i remembered but with the twist that ALL disabled boxes on the shields were restored in a sense she could duck away drop her shields for 2 impulses then raise them again with out a scratch on time while only spending her energy on her speed, arming her plasma torps and minor repairs to internals (namely FRAME damage which i quashed that rule blurb from her cause there is no way SVC would allow us to mid game repair frame damage,) but are these other rules right or did i get hoodwinked by a powergamer and her "mentor"?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: A sheild question Reply with quote

azureace wrote:
two of my shield arcs are down #5 and #6 and as the rules state I can't reinforce them via the bats and when i said no worries bout that she(the lady i was playing at the store and her "mentor") is claiming I can't transfer as per 3c3b or regen via 3c8 during my repair phase due to the rule citing that the shields can only be transferred to or regenerated IF there was something actually left in those shield facings.

which rule would the bold bit be? The 'from' shield would need functioning boxes to transfer obviously, but not the 'to' shield. Nothing in the shield regen rule says anything about only regenerating a shield with boxes still intact.

I suppose she could be thinking that if you have lost all the shield boxes then the shield no longer exists, hence there is no shield, and hence nothing can be done with it. But that is not a rule that can be cited.

Quote:

Another question since she has the e23 copy of the RRB she stated she could Drop her shields then bring them back 2 impulses later as per the rules even i remembered but with the twist that ALL disabled boxes on the shields were restored in a sense she could duck away drop her shields for 2 impulses then raise them again with out a scratch

hood winked again, Ask her to point out the rule that says a shield comes back fully repaired.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shes probably mistaken 3C5 -- (last sentence)
A shield that is down or which was dropped cannot be reinforced by batteries --
Nothing about transferring --
Since you can't reinforce a down shield this gives a player the ability to have a bit of shield to reinforce --

If a shield is Dropped you have to leave it down for 2 impulses before you can reinstate it to active (reading more into it than theres about being repaired) -- Shield regeneration is found at (3C7) 2 points per box to repair --
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you ran into a "power gamer".

You may indeed rotate shields TO a down shield, and you may repair a down shield. You may not reinforce a down shield, but that restriction is for reinforcement only.

If you drop a shield, then bring it back up, the shield is in the same state as it was prior to being dropped. So, if your shield had 5 boxes left, and 15 disabled boxes when it was dropped, then when it comes back up it still has 5 boxes left and 15 disabled boxes.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She may be (deliberately or accidentally?) using "dropped shields" in two different manners.

Shields that have been dropped by the owner of the ship.
Shields that have been dropped by the bad guys with laser beams.

My shields have been dropped, so I will choose to raise them again a few impulses later?
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also
Quote:
spending her energy on her speed, arming her plasma torps and minor repairs to internals

If you mean to say that she was spending energy on damage repair, that isn't right either.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like she needs the New Rulebook (now on sale!!) <shameless plug over>
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
If you drop a shield, then bring it back up, the shield is in the same state as it was prior to being dropped. So, if your shield had 5 boxes left, and 15 disabled boxes when it was dropped, then when it comes back up it still has 5 boxes left and 15 disabled boxes.

And say you voluntarily drop that damaged shield on Impulse #8, you can still rotate up to 5 fresh shield boxes to it, from an adjacent shield, during the Repair Phase even though it is dropped. Then when the shield is raised again (Impulse #2 at the earliest), it will have up to 10 boxes left and between 10 and 14 disabled, depending on how many you rotated.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules try to use different words for the state of a down shield. A shield that is down due to having all shield boxes disabled is "down". A shield that was voluntarily deactivated is "dropped". A "dropped" shield can be raised two impulses after it was dropped. A "down" shield must have at least one box before it can become active.

"Dropping" (i.e. voluntarily deactivating) a shield has no effect, in any way, on the number of functioning or disabled boxes in that shield. It merely means that the shield is either active (able to stop damage subject to the number of functioning shield boxes that remain), or it is inactive (and not able to stop any damage). It does nothing other than that simple function, and provides no "magical" effects beyond that.

A "down" shield (i.e. all boxes in that shield are disabled) is inactive until at least one box is repaired, or at least one functioning box is transferred from an adjacent shield. (And, when transferring shield boxes, the box to be transferred must be functioning, too. You cannot transfer a disabled shield box and have it suddenly become functional "for free".)

You may repair disabled shield boxes, or transfer functional boxes between adjacent shields, (subject, of course, to the rules of both procedures) regardless of whether a shield is active or dropped (or down).

Seriously, I don't know how to make it more plain than that. To be blunt, if you are dropping a shield for any reason other than allowing transporters to function, you are probably not doing it right. (Or, I suppose, if you are trying to commit suicide.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: