Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GURPS Prime Directive Inquiry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: GURPS Prime Directive Inquiry Reply with quote

Good Day,

I understand it might not be high on the priority list and there,s always a matter of ressources allocation, but are there any plans for new PD material using the GURPS system?

I own the whole serie so far and really enjoy it, and there are so many other faction to cover that I would love to see (especaily an Omega sector supplement).

Regards,
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current plans are to FIRST fix the main book, which is very flawed.

Then do a new empire, perhaps Gorns or Felines or Orions. Or Tholians.
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

Thnak you for the quick reply.

I got to admit of all the possible answer, that one is completely unexpected, but one I can get 100% behind (even if I need ot buy a new core book afterward).

Steve Cole wrote:

All 4 would be excellent choices for the next book. A Felines (I'm guessing Kzinti and Lyran) would complete the Left side (as the Hydran and Klingon are already done) allowing then to focus on the Gorn, Orions, Tholian Empires and the ISC to the right.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That decision is months away and will depend (as always) on a combination of which one needs the least work (all of them have some parts done) and which one is likely to sell the best.
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that makes perfect business sense.

As I love GURPS Prime Directive a lot, anything that will be printed for it will be bought to supplement my own games. But I am but one man alas.
Maximara
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

I know that is an old thread but it is the most relevant one to the point I want to raise.

As a die hard Star Trek fan I have to agree the main book is very flawed especially if one takes TOS as total canon. The tech level in the book is, per the 1979 canon, set way too high. It should be TL(6+3)^ with perhaps some TL(7+3)^ thrown in.

The insanely long reason (at GURPS Prime Directive on the GURPS wiki) boils down to how GURPS tech mechanics work. For the episodes "City on the Edge of Forever" and "Piece of the Action" to work as presented the Tech Level cannot be above 9 based on the way the penalties between Tech Levels work in GURPS (Unless you give out wildcard skills like Tribbles)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember that I have been too sick to work much for two years and only got back to full time a month ago. Don't expect two years of products we didn't do to get done in two months. Sadly, and I apologize for it, but my bad health and eating decisions cost all of us two years we have no way to get back.
Maximara
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Please remember that I have been too sick to work much for two years and only got back to full time a month ago. Don't expect two years of products we didn't do to get done in two months. Sadly, and I apologize for it, but my bad health and eating decisions cost all of us two years we have no way to get back.

Your health comes first. At least you didn't wind up on death's door with a 5% chance of living because you didn't pay attention to the signs your body was giving you like I did.

Besides I rather see one taking the time to get it right rather then rushing and totally messing up ala Game of Thrones.

I just thought that you would like the insight of someone who is very familiar with Star Trek (TOS/TAS especially) and GURPS 4th edition.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not get me started on how short-changed Game of Thrones was. There should have been 100 episodes, not 73.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3 part Mini-Series would probably have gotten the whole story in.
Leaving out the extreneous parts.....
Maximara
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Do not get me started on how short-changed Game of Thrones was. There should have been 100 episodes, not 73.

Sounds a lot with my view on Enterprize.

There is no way to fit that mess into Star Trek, without invoking that three season Temporal Cold War going on, if you used TOS-TAS as the base line.

Ships are too fast (per The Cage), visual communication exists when it shouldn't (per Balance of Terror) , races the Federation shouldn't know about at that time popping up like mushrooms (Borg, Organians, Ferengi, etc), and there are times you wonder how Archer and his crew get up in the morning and not FUBAR that up.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.

Paramount should have put ADB in charge of Star Trek.

Then it would have continuity and it would make sense.
Maximara
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

IMHO anything that included TOS as total canon without several caveats to address continuity problems was doomed from the start.

For example, Space Seed puts Star Trek in 2196-2206 (1996+about 200) while Squire of Gothos put it around the 2780s (The planet is 900 light years form Earth with Trelane well aware of Alexander Hamilton's 1804 duel and forces Uhura to play a piece a Richard Strauss composition from 1880)

You had to tweek something to have things fit and it didn't help that Paramount got a bee in its bonnet about Star Trek being a possible future of our Earth even if it made no blasted sense.

In fact, it can easily be shown that TOS Star Trek existed in an alternate reality that diverged as late as 274 CE (if you ignore the Romans adopting Helios and renaming him Sol ie Sun) with a major divergence during WWII. For anyone interested the timeline hiccups are at the GURPS wiki page on Prime Directive.
Grimmshade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

OMG that would have been amazing! I would have more than just ToS to enjoy if that had been the case.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Steve, Jean and the ADB Team,

Congratulations on getting GURPS PD - Revised Edition out ! I see the pdf is available on Drive Thru RPG. Questions - (1) will there be a printed book version ? (2) and if so, if we buy the pdf now, will we get a discount on the printed version ? Many thanks !

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: